1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Xbox Controller vs Xbox Controller S

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kain, Jul 2, 2002.

?
  1. Original Xbox Controller

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Xbox Controller S

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which Xbox controller do you prefer?

2. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have both.
    The original is nice, chunky, smooth, shaped, and fits well. (in the hands, okay!)

the new one I think is too much like a playstation controller.

3. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I think the Original Xbox Controller is too big. It doesn't fit into my hands comfortabably. The PlayStation controller is GREAT! It has perfect grip and button layout. If the Xbox Controller S is like the PlayStation controller, then I'll probably get that one.

4. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if it's like the playstation one then leave alone - it's awful - cramp time here we come....... The original xbox controller is ace. The right size (for me) and the buttons are all in the right place - and no cramp after 30 minutes....

5. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Not sure if this is a serious post. Was playing my mate's XBox last night for the first time in ages and had forgotten how enormous the controller was. Surely far too big? A good controller shouldn't really be noticed when playing or be an issue at all really.

Haven't tried the controller S yet. Is it officially available in UK yet and what are the main differences between it and the original controller?

My mate's 2 free games and extra controller arrived so he now has 3 controllers. Roll on micro-machines! The 2 free games incidently were Dead or Alive and Munch's odyssey (looks interesting)

RDB :)

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think it is only available in US and Japan.
    I have a mate that is good enough to post me stuff from US.

It is not as small as the PS 1 controller, but is about 1/2 way between the two.

I find a big controller helps me rest my hands.

the white and black buttons have been dropped to below the other coloured buttons, rather than above, and are rounder.

the start and back buttons are now to the left of the d-pad,
    the d-pad has clearer imprints of direction, and is firmer in its response when used.

as I needed two, I thought I'd get one of each.
    I've only really used the original though.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't used the "S" controller yet, but if it's more like the PS2 controller, then I'll stick with my existing controllers.

Although I got used to using them, I always found the Playstation controllers very uncomfortable. Guess it's just a personal choice.

I don't think the "S" controller is available in Japan, because the Japanese controllers are smaller than the UK/US ones anyway. (hence the demand for a second controller)

8. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I got the s controller from liksang and only use that one now. Coming from a PS1 and PS2 background, I couldn't get used to the spacing and layout of the coloured buttons on the original X box controller. The s controller fortunately has them in the same place as the PS1/PS2 controllers and that suits me down to the ground.
    As I wasn't used to the black and white buttons being on the top, the fact that they are below the coloured buttons didn't really effect me. Plus I also find the back and start buttons easier to get to with them being on the left.

However it is a matter of taste and if you happy with the original controller then why change. I bought the s controller at the same time I bought the x box and tried both controllers from scratch. I hadn't got used to the bigger controller which I suspect a lot of people in the UK will have done. But for me I prefer the s controller.

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    azrikam,

I assumed the S stood for small, and that MS designed it for the japanese market, who want smaller controllers.

Then MS decided to release it in US afterwards.

so, I think it is available in japan?

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "S" controller is modeled after the smaller Japanese controller, but I'm pretty sure they re-mapped the buttons slightly. So, in Japan you can get the original Japanese controller, which is pretty much the same size as the "S" controller, but not exactly the same.

Ok, now I've confused myself. :)

11. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Japanese Xbox controller and the Xbox Controller S are exactly the same.

12. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    the tension on the original's triggers is too high. playing PGR for too long is painful

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I stand corrected.

14. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, not exactly.

1.) Face Button (A, B, X, Y) - On JPN contoller, the buttons are solid color with the id "carved" into the top - On S controller, they look like the original MS pad, some kind of raised lettering covered by the clear dome plastic

2.) Triggers - S controller supposedly has a tweaked, better feel than the JPN controller...I don't feel like there's anything wrong with the JPN triggers...

3.) D-Pad - S controller supposedly has a tweaked, more comfortable D-Pad than the JPN controller, but it's still a cross-design.

4.) Jewel - yeah, they're different and I like the JPN one better too because it matches the top of my Xbox..

5.) Last but not least, cable length! The JPN controller's cable is quite a bit shorter than the S controller's. The difference is around 2-3 feet.

And as for "Original Controller" VS "Controller S", I prefer Controller S to the original one, anyday.

Original Controllers = for western cavemen.
    Controller S = now we talking sensible design and size here.
    :D :D

15. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had a massive Halo sesh a few weeks ago, with Jap and US pads at hand, I massively prefer the Jap one.

It dissapears into my hands properly, where the US one feels like a brick by comparison.

Both are better than a Dual shock. Whoever designed the analogue sticks should be shot - I Have just started playing GT3 after playing monkey ball, and UGH!