Original Elinchrom 500

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by derekc, Feb 11, 2014.

1. derekc

derekc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the opportunity to purchase some second-hand studio flash equipment. I actually wasn’t looking to obtain any, but a kit came my way.

The main item is an Elinchrom 500 head (original model – no frills), together with a 100cm x 100cm softbox and Seconic 308B meter (original mark i). There’s also a backdrop and reflector.

The equipment is old. Am I going to lose out on the modern equivalent – I know that the latest 500 is very sophisticated with transmitters etc. But, as regards the actual flash and the result, is a flash a flash?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    if your talking about the elinchrom 500 heads with the yellow n green sliders i have a pair of them and there quite good for their age
    there are a couple of things to keep in mind though because of their age the mount might be a little awkward to get peripherals for and the modeling bulb is an odd voltage ( 196 volt ) but can still be bought from the likes of ebay etc

it's easy to adapt a radio trigger to suite them they have an odd looking remote trigger socket but the plugs are fairly easy to come by or an adapter lead for most triggers can be found they also have built in optical slave triggers and can be triggered that way if preferred

there quite a powerful head and i tend to use them at their lower settings most of the time there well built and pretty reliable if it's cheap enough you wouldn't go too far wrong with one

3. derekc

derekc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. Yes it is the yellow and green sliders.

I didn't realise you could use a radio trigger, although I've tried it wired and it's ok.

£150 is the asking price for the head plus cables and case. Is this rather high? The stand is £50 and the meter £60. Softbox is £75 and backdrop £50.

4. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    mmm.. the best part of 400 quid for a single light setup the choice is yours to buy or not i would have a shop around to see what 400 quid can buy

looking on ebay it appears the do demand that kind of money and more i would consider not buying the light meter in this digital age there not as essential as they once were
    the softbox depends on the make i see a few for that kind of money new
    the backdrop seems cheap enough i take it you get the stand too

at the end of the day it's your money and without seeing the setup it's hard to put a value to it all

5. derekc

derekc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for reply. It's great to get a prompt follow up!

I've tried my Canon 5D II with its meter and it was grossly overexposed, hence the suggestion of the meter. I read somewhere that the internal meter wouldn't cope because of the speed of the flash. Is this wrong? Softbox is Elinchrom and the only stand (£50) is for the softbox, not backdrop.

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    unless your using an ettl flash the camera would have no way of knowing the exposure which is true for
    most studio heads it can only measure the ambient light from the room or the modeling bulb hence the image being grossly over exposed when the flash fires
    it's easy enough nowadays to just take a shot and have a look and adjust exposure accordingly a light meter can take the guesswork out of the equation but like i said it's not essential

like i said about the prices without seeing the stuff it's hard to judge if the prices are fair

7. derekc

derekc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for reply!!