Origin and EA say "We can do better". Can they?

Can they do worse?

What a load of balls, but looks like the comments are already calling him out on gems like "Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong." Errr, that's because you took all your games off Steam and forced us to use Origin, ********. Same for micro-transactions. He's making out as though people have a choice when in fact they have us all held by the nads.

I actually voted... Not like me at all!

Everyone said exactly the same thing when half life 2 came out and everyone had to install Steam to play it. I have no real problem.with steam (which used to be absolutely terrible. And I mean beyond woeful. Down more than up, friends dropping and reappearing whenever the wind changed, even games I had bought telling me I had to buy them again in order to play) but Steam is three or four times as old. Origin has its issues but its really not that bad.

Mess Effect 3 is a great game, I still play it and in fact did tonight. I also played BF3 as well. Sure they make mistakes, what company doesn't? Its learning from those mistakes is the important bit. Have they done so? Well yes and no. They dumb down games compared to the previous games or change some of the core gameplay mechanics then complain that no one bought Dead Space 3 (as well as doing a lazy PC port) or royally screw up a launch of what should have been a flagship title but they worked to fix it and offered a free game which, really they didn't have to do. EA used to be a big example.of everything wrong with video games in the 2000's. Annual ipdates with few changes, shutting down studios when they couldn't let them develop their own game, they basically told them what to make, produced the game within an inch of its life, often to the detriment of the game itself then closed the studio for poor sales when the games that sold.poorly had little relation other than name or studio to the games they were supposed to improve.on.

IMO activision are now worse than EA. They've dramatically increased game pricing, especially on consoles when, in some circumstances there has really been little to no real change between Cash cow of Duty games yet the console kiddies lap it up every year so I can't really blame them.

Longest app post ever I think.

I've no problems with DRM when it works but when it doesn't then you are royally screwed if you want to play that game. Origin has been getting better and is quite good these days I just wish they'd up the 100 friends limit (not that I have 100 friends :D). My only issue with EA is that they seem to just get hold of franchises then burn them into the ground then move onto the next.

This isn't about Origin, this is about EA as a company towards it's consumers, so in reflection to that:

Can they do better?

Yes.

Will they do better?

No.

Just about got my vote in on this.

tris

They're not humble at all, just plain arrogance and ignorance. That doesn't bring in customers.

They're not humble at all, just plain arrogance and ignorance. That doesn't bring in customers.

They aren't ignorant they know what they are doing!

97tcog.jpg

I've got to agree with Miss Chief, if we're doing a line up of baddies in the PC gaming industry then Activision are so far out ahead that it's ridiculous, I can't think of a company that gouges it's customers more regularly. What is really frustrating is that like crack addicts they keep returning to their dealer, COD being the prime example with its regurgitated gameplay and DLC.

I've got to agree with Miss Chief, if we're doing a line up of baddies in the PC gaming industry then Activision are so far out ahead that it's ridiculous, I can't think of a company that gouges it's customers more regularly. What is really frustrating is that like crack addicts they keep returning to their dealer, COD being the prime example with its regurgitated gameplay and DLC.

Fifa?

FIFA same game since '95

Football has been the same game for many years with only small changes such as offside rule, pass back rule etc...

How do people expect a computer game company to revolutionise the game? Also it's nothing like it was in 95 also weren't you born around then? lol

EA aren't great and have definitely gone off track with what's important but they still produce good games, nobody and I mean nobody is forced to play their games, nobody is forced to buy DLC.

The whole Sim City debacle isn't acceptable and should never have been an issue but lets be honest most people just find it cool to slag off EA.

Also nowt really wrong with Origin, can't say I have had many if any real problems with it.

Football has been the same game for many years with only small changes such as offside rule, pass back rule etc...

How do people expect a computer game company to revolutionise the game? Also it's nothing like it was in 95 also weren't you born around then? lol

EA aren't great and have definitely gone off track with what's important but they still produce good games, nobody and I mean nobody is forced to play their games, nobody is forced to buy DLC.

The whole Sim City debacle isn't acceptable and should never have been an issue but lets be honest most people just find it cool to slag off EA.

Also nowt really wrong with Origin, can't say I have had many if any real problems with it.

'92 :D, but they only seem to change the players and then still manage to **** up. I haven't played FIFA since '07 because the game is just boring.

I haven't played FIFA since '07 because the game is just boring.

I haven't bothered with a football game really since International Superstar Soccer, not being able to score from the halfway line in newer games ruined it for me.

How about a football FPS game like COD. Could be called COFA, players hiding behind the goal posts the entire game or constantly scoring from goal kicks. Proximity mines in the penalty area or drone strikes for a "goal streak".

I agree, it is trendy to bash EA, they are not that bad, certainly no worse than any other big publisher. Origin is OK, but I feel they could be doing more to make it a true competitor to Steam other than only releasing major games on it, rather than Steam as well.

Last edited:
EA = This:
attachment.php

:laugh:

Attachments

• tumblr_mklxr3nIKI1qhx4vyo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mklxr3nIKI1qhx4vyo1_500.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 377
Every publisher, developer could do a hell of a lot more.

Every publisher, developer could do a hell of a lot more.

Very true, but the point for me was that the stuff the COO was trying to make out EA have done a good job with is only because that's the only way the customer gets to play the game, not because they have done anything that actually benefits the customer. I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and not play a game just because it's published or funded by EA, but it doesn't mean I have to like the way they do business.

(I think the same about Activision.)

I read somewhere that some dude from MS was trying to explain always on connections (the next Xbox is rumored to be always on line). He said that you still buy a vacuum cleaner even though you can have power cuts. :confused: :facepalm: :suicide:

But companies say stuff like this all the time. However there was some truth in a lot of what Moore said about EA's profile I thought, but I'm sure Moore is trying to position himself as the next CEO of EA anyway so he's hardly going to rock the boat.

Last edited:
How about a football FPS game like COD. Could be called COFA, players hiding behind the goal posts the entire game or constantly scoring from goal kicks. Proximity mines in the penalty area or drone strikes for a "goal streak".

I agree, it is trendy to bash EA, they are not that bad, certainly no worse than any other big publisher. Origin is OK, but I feel they could be doing more to make it a true competitor to Steam other than only releasing major games on it, rather than Steam as well.
You can play a 3rd person style in the newer fifa games

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom