Origen AE S10v Build

feederz

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought an Origen AE S10v case and would really appreciate some help in choosing some components for it. So far I've not been able to find many specs using one of these.

I have previously built an HTPC using the taller S14v which I'm very pleased with and currently use in my living room. The s10v is going to be for the bedroom and so has slightly different requirements...

- I'd like to be able to leave it on overnight without being able to hear it
- I want it to be as economical as possible
- I'd like to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies (without adding a graphics card)
Notes...
- OS will be Windows 7
- I will probably use an SSD for Windows/commonly opened applications and 1TB for media

The only other component I have purchased so far is an AMD Athlon 4850e CPU. I've been looking at Micro ATX Motherboards and wonder if the Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H would be ok with this rather old CPU?

My other problem so far has been finding a suitable PSU, it must be economical but I'm a little confused about power consumption! I've done some calculations and am fairly sure my intended total power usage will be comfortably less than 200W. However so far nearly all the decent spec ATX PSU's I've seen (by decent I really mean ultra quiet) seem to be rated at over 300W. So I guess my first question here is if my system is idling with a draw from the PSU of say 100W will a 300W PSU still be consuming the full 300W to run? If so can anybody suggest an ultra quiet PSU which will consume minimal power?

Thanks for reading!

Why leave it on all the time? Putting it to sleep will be better.

Will the bluerays be ripped and copied to the 1Tb or do you want a blueray drive in there?

You need to check exactly which 4850e it is, from memory some of them were 65w and some were 45w, but I beleive that you'll be okay running that setup with a 150w PicoPSU.

I can't tell you specifically about that board, but there has been some talk of it on here.

One word of warning about bedroom HTPCs is make sure that it's only configured to wake up for updates at 12:00 NOON rather than 12:00 MIDNIGHT. WAF seriously drops if it boots up in the middle of the night...

Try using this Enermax PSU Calculator if not using it already, it's a good way to double check you won't be overloading your PSU.

It won't be on all the time, however I will sometimes want to let it run overnight so that it can download/upload large files.

I will play some ripped blu ray movies (although ripping will be done on the more powerful HTPC machine in my living room). I've also been looking at getting a slimline blu ray player but they are expensive so I might have to stick a DVD drive in for now.

Good tip on the Windows updates and WAF! She doesn't even know about this project yet ; )

Thanks Dean, the Enermax calculator gave a total of 141Watts. I looked at the 150W PicoPSU but it doesn't appear to have enough power connections to run the SSD, Hard Drive & Optical? Also it seems a shame to have to find space for a 12v external supply whilst leaving a big void in the case that could be filled with a full size PSU.

That's a good looking case you've got there. I keep threatening to buy one as I'm sure they're worth the money even based on looks alone.

On the PSU front, I've recently installed a OCZ ModXStream 500w and an really impressed with it. Outside of the case it's pretty much inaudible. Cost was around £52. If you've got more money the Seasonic X-650 runs passively at lower loads, which your proposed system should easily achieve. They are getting on for £100 though but you do get one of the best PSU's available.

On the DVD drive, does the S10v only take slot loading laptops drives? If so you're probably looking at well over £100 for a Blu-ray capable drive.

Hope this all helps.

Well after a little reading it sounds as though the PSU should only consume the power that the components actually draw so my actual power consumption from the wall will be roughly the same when using a 200 Watt PSU to a 500 Watt PSU. At least I hope I have this right?

With this in mind I'll certainly take a look at some of the other PSU's I previously ruled out.

This one looks nice although it's rather more than I want to spend...
Kustom PCs Silverstone ST30NF PSU

The quality of the Origen AE cases are top notch, I looked long and hard for something better but it seems there isn't much else at the moment.

Unfortunately the case will only take a slimline optical drive which is why I might install a DVD ROM for the time being in the hope that the price of the Blu Ray drives will fall in the coming months.

Hey mate (feederz), you are right about the build quality, they are top notch, shame I can't justify that much of an expense on the case or any other one component, if I could find a used on at decent price that would be something else but as you say with the way those things are built, it's pretty much difficult to get a wind of one used.

BTW, would this be your previous build, Here is my new HTPC

I ask as I noticed that a fella with the same username as yours over at SilentPreview posted on a recent thread enquiring about a S10V/S14V build, well whether it be yours or not, that is a very very nice build! :thumbsup:

All the best with your upcoming build, hope it all goes well!

Last edited:
Hi again - yeh I think you'd be better of just going for a 300W PSU, and making best space utilisation of the case. I think it would be better for the long term and I don't think that you will be 'wasting' much electricity with it compared to a PSU that barely meets the requirements at high load. I love the OrigenAE cases, I was actually gonna build/customise one myself as my Sony XL301 seemed to be playing up. It just happens I needed to change the awful gfx card in there which I recently done, so I won't be getting one now.

Can I ask how much you got your cases for - both the S10V and S14V? How did you find building your S14V - did you find that most of the components fit in the case okay? I ask as I heard some people have issues fitting the mobo in depending on the mobo and which way some of the connectors/outputs are facing. Hope it all goes well fella.:smashin:

Hi Useless_Help, yes that was my S14v - I've added a Dual DVB tuner now so now I'm back in the UK have realised my goal of only having this and the PS3 under the TV : )

I've also got a Harmony One controller which is excellent - although slightly overkill since now I replaced all my black boxes there's less need for an all in one remote :facepalm: still it looks nice so :smashin:

Dean, I bought the S14v while I was living in america for $430 including postage to my US address (approx £270). The S10v was from Kustom PCs for £283.41 not including postage.

There is an S14v on Ebay at the moment, good luck!

There is an S14v on Ebay at the moment, good luck!

Damn, I'd have gone for that if I'd have seen it. If only they had spelt Origen correctly I might have found it! Then again, it might have gone for more money.

Thanks Dean, the Enermax calculator gave a total of 141Watts. I looked at the 150W PicoPSU but it doesn't appear to have enough power connections to run the SSD, Hard Drive & Optical? Also it seems a shame to have to find space for a 12v external supply whilst leaving a big void in the case that could be filled with a full size PSU.

For power connections - I only have one HD + Optical in there for normal running but I do have two SATA's, so I got a lead (molex to molex, but splits off a SATA power connection) so I could run another HD if I needed to.

Works fine for me.

If you will occasionally want to leave it on overnight, I would seriously think about either a PicoPSU or a proper silent PSU, OR siting the PC in an adjacent room/loft and running cables through into the bedroom. Oh, and don't forget that there's much less heat generated inside the case with a PicoPSU.

Edit: Or was it a single molex to 2xSATA's I can't remember!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom