Organising smart lighting around your OLED.

Khazul

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would explain what we have done in our living room lighting because I think that anyone with an OLED TV could benefit from this approach and I think it helps us really get the best out of it.

We use a few Philips hue light and a Logitech harmony hub+companion remote.

Light most people we have lights scattered around the room in the form of floor standing lights, table lamps, wall washes/spots and a couple of light strips. One of the light strips has been made in to a bias light behind the TV. We recently replaced the bulbs with hue bulbs and a hue switch on the wall to control all off them.

In harmony, the lights are grouped as follows (this is the important bit):
Group 1 - The hue lightstrip+ behind the TV - serves a bias light/wall wash.
Group 2 - Anything that is in your direct line of sight when watching the TV, in out case that's a couple of table lamps either side of the TV on top of some speakers.
Group 3 - Anything position such that when looking at the TV from normal watching position the light is visible as a reflection or what it light up is visible as a reflection. For us that's a floor lamp behind the sofa, a light strip above my desk (also behind the sofa area) and a hue spot that lights up a wall with a large picture on it (also behind sofa). You get the idea.
Group 4 - Any other lights - these will be ambient such that they neither cause significant reflections nor are they in your line of sight.

There are 4 home control button on the harmony remote, so these are harmony light bulb groups - so I have assigned the groups to those buttons so they can be easily switched on/off or dimmed from the remote. We still use our iPhones or Alexa to set scenes and control color directly.

Switching group 2 off gets rid of anything that can reflect minimising distraction in darker scenes, but keeping most of ambient light level. Think of this as TV dinner mode, especially if watching darker DV content - dim remainder to suit.

Switch group 2 and 4 off when you want some light, but no need for much ambient, dim the fronts and TV back light to suit - we often have ours at only around 25%-50% for the front lights and TV back light.

Switch of all groups for movie mode, or maybe leave 1 and 3 on at near minimum.

While harmony is nice for overall AV control on a simple remote, a decently behaving HDMI CEC with a decent TV remote can pretty much do the same, though finding the right components for CEC to work properly can be a bit hit and miss. Having lighting on the same remote however really completes it and that for me is where harmony shines.

I generally don't use colors on the TV back light when TV is on and we tend to mostly use warm colors on the others with a mix of warm whites. A nice fireglow orange/red behind the TV when its off however is great for making the place look cosey and warm looking.

Sounds like you've put a lot of effort into getting things right for your environment, I enjoyed the read.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom