1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organic Food

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gary D, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Following on from that TV show last night with Richard Hammond about Additives, i'd like to say that for most of this year i've eating purely organic food and i feel much better for it :thumbsup:

couple of things i've noticed

1. real food goes off much quicker without additives
    2. Organic Apples are amazing :thumbsup: apples with flavor :eek:
    3. I feel better and more awake since i cut out rubbish from my diet.

Fruit and Veg

Gary

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    We try and buy organic when possible. What annoys me though is that if you were to buy an organic chicken the price is massively increased over a 'normal' chicken. I'm not entirely sure they taste that much better, but then again, it's not about that.

Vegetable wise, we tend to eat a lot of what Lorna's Dad grows in his garden. The mian thing I noticed was when we had some home grown garlic. This was amazing compared to supermarket garlic, so much more juicy and tasty.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I didn't see that - but saw the program 'full on food' on bbc2 the other night, and they reckon organic food is a bit of a con! well, with normal fruit & veg, 75% of that doesn't contain any additives etc by the time it reaches us...they were saying that it's only that it makes us feel better by buying organic...there's isn't any real scientific proof that it's more beneficial...

link here -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/fullonfood_prog3.shtml#organic_food

and they quote -
    "Organic food
    As a regular organic consumer Richard Johnson believes his purchases benefit his health and the environment as well as tasting better. But as his shopping bills rack up and no concrete evidence appears to validate his beliefs, Richard is keen to quell his nagging doubts.

First stop is Dr Brown - Chair of the Pesticides Residue Committee - who informs Richard that 75% of our food has been shown to contain no pesticide residue. Patrick Holden - director of the Soil Association - meanwhile urges Richard to consider that eating pesticide-free food has to be better than food with pesticides, however small an amount. Richard's investigation ends on the farm and includes a visit to a standard pig farm as well as a visit to Helen Browning's organic pig farm in Wiltshire."

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thats as maybe Mr Cat - but if i dont need it on my apples then i dont need it. i can only speak with my taste buds and how i feel. things taste better and i do feel much better.

next time you buy an apple from a supermarket - cut it in half and tell me if it drips? then tell me how quickly it goes brown because of the natural sugars. i'm not saying that your post is wrong of having a pop.

Gary

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I agree with what you're saying like, but I was just surprised at what I saw - as there doesn't really seem to be any scientific claims as such...

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Have a look here

www.riverford.co.uk

Used to work there, and their organic food is second to none, and far cheaper and much better quality than supermarket organic food. Not to mention it doesn't carry the horrific air miles supermarket organics do! :thumbsup:

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The thing about organic food is that it is the ethics behind it that I support, not because of the claims about it being "better". Of course organic food is far better for the environment for several reasons.

Organic food isn't sprayed with chemicals to the same extent non-organic food is. Organic food is grown in smaller fields as well, so the benefit to biodiversity is two-fold.

Organic varieties are selected for flavour, rather than longevity, and the two are mutually exclusive, so organic food, IMO tastes far better than non-organic.

Organic food also saves the economy money, as there is no bill for cleaning our drinking water from all the toxic run-off from non-organic farming.

Organic food tends to go hand in hand with seasonal, local produce.

That, for me, is one of the most important reasons to support it. Supermarket organics are imported from half-way across the world, packaged in far too much (even by supermarket standards) cellophane and other plastics and is available out of season, which pretty much defeats the ethical reasons for buying organically.

I personally am to be convinced that organic food is "better" for you than non-organic, but for the reasons I have listed above, I wouldn't consider buying fruit and vegetables from a supermarket.

By far the best thing you can do is grow your own organic vegetables on your own allotment or back garden. The feeling of achievement enjoying a wonderful sunday lunch, knowing that you have cultivated your own, delicious and fresh, vegetables (and in our case meat as well) is indescribable.

It is no wonder to me that are becoming obese and developing allergies, and conditions such as IBS when all the do is pump their body with pesticides and herbicides, not to mention all the additives, colourings and chemicals in the processed food most of us consume.

8. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've accidentally put through organic loose veggies as normal ones at the local supermarkets self checkout a couple of times, need to remember to get it right next time. Keep on forgetting..........

:D