Oreo coming for 2017/18 TVs end of November.

jrockes

Established Member
Reaction score
According to various posts on Reddit, r/bravia the rollout of Oreo is imminent. Not sure if I'm allowed to post direct links to Reddit so I'll refrain for now. Pictures and video of the update notes seem to confirm this is true.

Does anyone know how far back in hardware you can go with this software update, will it update the OS on a Sony A1, asking for a buddy of mine who has one

Does anyone know how far back in hardware you can go with this software update, will it update the OS on a Sony A1, asking for a buddy of mine who has one

Yes click the link, all devices are there.

Applicable models
  • XBR-##A1E
  • XBR-##X940E/##X930E/##X900E
  • XBR-##X850E/##X806E/##X800E
  • XBR-##X800D/##X750D/##X700D
  • XBR-##Z9D

The Sony A1 is listed as one of the sets being updated, absolutely.

Yes click the link, all devices are there.

Applicable models
  • XBR-##A1E
  • XBR-##X940E/##X930E/##X900E
  • XBR-##X850E/##X806E/##X800E
  • XBR-##X800D/##X750D/##X700D
  • XBR-##Z9D

Little strange that the AF8/A8F isn't on the list. Hmmm...

I just hope it doesn’t slow down the Android interface any further.

Yeh maybe its a blessing it will be in the US first as it might actually make the TVs perform worse. Not sure I will be rushing to upgrade even when it does come to the UK.

Yeh maybe its a blessing it will be in the US first as it might actually make the TVs perform worse. Not sure I will be rushing to upgrade even when it does come to the UK.

Indeed. I'd use the old 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' line.

However, given Sony's track record i reckon 'If it's broke, don't fix it' is perhaps more apt...

Just an Oreo update that feels a bit old now..:(

When the Android 9 Pie update coming...;)

Little strange that the AF8/A8F isn't on the list. Hmmm...

It looks like Sony is doing the update first on the D and E series models first. The F series, except for the AF9 which already has Oreo, should be in a week or so. This is what happened for the Dolby Vision update, the A8F was 1 week behind. At least in the US. Also the 900F, etc. should get an update then.

Note that Oreo could improve performance. There are ways you can optimize the software to use less memory and be faster. Google has stated in a presentation that the Pie OS has even more special, optional, features that can be used to speed up performance on slow processors. So Pie can be even better than Oreo, maybe. The trouble is this takes programming time and costs money for Sony. Did Sony do this? We won’t know until the update.

I wont be rushing to update. Why remove the Netflix link?

Seems no eARC support.

The most request "thing" for me is that Google / SONY does more frequent updates to the Android TV to keep the platform fresh and competitive.

Doesn’t make sense, think I’ll disable the Auto Update feature till we see how this update pans out.

I don't think Netflix is being removed just the UI is going to change a bit so things might be in different places?

Am not sure what you mean by them removing the Netflix link as Oreo on my AF9 has Netflix

Edit: Think I see what you mean now
Features No Longer Supported
1. These categories are removed from the Content Bar:
  • Netflix
  • YouTube
  • Crackle
  • PlayMemories Online
  • Video (Home network)
    • USB remains the same, Video (USB).
    • For home network, select Video app from
      servlet.FileDownload
      (Apps) in the Home menu
Don't think I have ever used this Content Bar as I just press the Netflix button on the remote control or the home button or apps button

Last edited:
Am not sure what you mean by them removing the Netflix link as Oreo on my AF9 has Netflix

Edit: Think I see what you mean now
Don't think I have ever used this Content Bar as I just press the Netflix button on the remote control or the home button or apps button

Yeh, Its only removing them from the content bar, it wont be needed in Oreo. The apps will still be on Oreo.

After trying to find what this content bar was I had to google how you get the content bar to show up and says by pressing the Discover remote button

Well there my answer why I never use the content bar as my AF9 remote does not have a Discover button
Yeh, Its only removing them from the content bar, it wont be needed in Oreo. The apps will still be on Oreo.
I noticed the A1 remote control no has an APPs button and the AF9 remote no has a Discover button

Last edited:
Anyone here got this update? Over in US forum there are reports that updates are rolling out now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom