1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering Receiver from Europe ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by -=Stu=-, May 21, 2005.

1. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. On reading the "Best prices summary for new entry level 6 channel receivers" thread I noticed a lot of the prices are from shops out of the UK. Is there any problems or differences between receivers bought out of the UK ?
    At the moment I'm trying to decide between Denon 2805, Pioneer 2014, Yamaha RX-V2500 or Onkyo TX-SR702E. The price difference from buying out of the UK is quite significant for some models e.g. Yamaha RX-V250 in Germany £482+del but in the UK £720.

Thanks for any help,
    Stuart.

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Stuart,

Cool that ur reading my thread.

What I can say is firstly, not all German Internet retailers ships to UK, I think most of those I put individual links on the top of the thread ships to UK, but do send emails to other retailers that are listed on the German price links under the amps.

Secondly, again those with individual links are mostly tested by buyers on this forum and scandinavian forums, so they are quite safe to buy from, although some have better service than others.

The payment methods can differ, anything from creditcards where you also have to fax a proof of id, to payment (cash) on delivery.

Thirdly there are no differences between UK amp and German amp, apart from the power cable, but that is just changing to a uk one.

A tip is probably to search on Germany, Yamaha or in your case 2500 and quite a few threads should appear.

Happy Hunting.

Wasabi

3. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wasabi. Thanks for the info I was hoping that would be the case. Good work on the thread, it was very helpful. Once I decide on which amp I will contact some of the companies first to check before I order.

Thanks again,
    Stuart.

4. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Stu,
    I endorse what Wasabi has just replied. I recently bought a yamaha RX-V1500 from www.hifi components.de. The RRP in the Uk is £699 but I got it for Eur 497+Eur 37 delivery. A considerable saving when you consider a Euro is equivalent to around 65p.(I do know that they have gone up a bit since I bought though)

I simply did a search on Google.de. to get up the German search engine and then searched for yamahe RX-V 1500
    The whole process took about a week from start to delivery. One thing to bear in mind is some companies want a bank transfer in Euros which cost me £20 through HSBC. Still cheap though.

The only difference is the power lead. In the Yamaha manual it actually says If this unit is bought in the UK cut off the two pin plug and fit a three pin and dispose of the two pin safely. So they are obviously manufactured for various markets.
    I actually didn't cut it off I simply used a different kettle lead which I happened to have with no problems at all.
    Hope this is helpful.

5. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David. Thanks for the reply. I think I will be placing my order next week :) Unfortunately I haven't managed to get to hear the 2500 locally but should be able to find somewhere next week. When I did a quick check on pricing in the UK the best I could find was £700. The price in Germany appears to be £495 +del +wire etc which should be around £530-£540 so it seems worth the extra wait.

Now its just deciding between the Canton CD1 or Tannoy EFX 5.1. If you don't mind me asking, what speakers are you using ? :)

Thanks,
    Stuart.

6. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am using the Canton speakers. But the CD100 fronts, CD50 centre and CD10 rears. I also have the 220 downfiring sub. Some people refer to it as the 2.22 set up although canton don't market it as such.
    The amp speaker match is superb. you would not be disappointed.

7. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh, also forgot to mention. If you read through the forums most would advise to spend the largest proportion of your money, whatever that happens to be, on your speakers. I dont know the Tannoy system but the 2500 amp is a powerful stacked with features which is more than capable of driving the CD1 system as is the 1500 or the 750.