1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rp71, Jan 29, 2002.

1. rp71

rp71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am wanting to buy an amplifier and speakers online, but it appears all retailers make you deliver to your card address. I'm at work all day and was wondering the best way around the problem. If it turns up and I'm not in, what happens then?

Cheers

Richard

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,101
    Take the day off man , come on !!!

3. rp71

rp71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'd be nice if I could guarentee it turning up on a particular day, and anyways, my work don't let me have time off, without me, the company would fall apart.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,276
    www.hifibitz.co.uk will deliver to different address....they even delivered to a different country from the card holders address for me!!

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Buying speakers via mail order is IMHO not a good idea. Pay a bit more for buying from a dealer, there you can audition first and probably get a better after sales service, too.

6. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in this dilemma when I bought my DVD player.

I ordered from Techronics (no comments please :clown: ) they wouldn't give me a delivery date or allow me to have the item delivered elsewhere.

So here's what I did, I kept my eye out for my confirmation of dispatch email, I knew they shipped with ANC so I rang my local depot with my shipping number first thing that morning. However my first thing (about 7.30 - 8.00 am ish) wasn't their first thing and the box had already gone out on the van, 'not to worry' said the very nice lady I'll radio the driver and tell him not to attempt delivery and I'll pull it off the van when he gets back.

I left work bang on 5.00pm and raced across to them and sure enough, there was my box waiting for me in her office.

I'm not sure if other couriers would be so accommodating, but ANC were.

The only other solution is to get a member of your family / friends to live in your house for a while, or ask a very nosy neighbour to look out and sign for it.

HOWEVER

If you go the route I did you can check over the parcel there and then at the couriers office and if it's at all damaged, you can get something sorted out.

Hope that helps.

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought all my speakers online. I go into my local hifi places, feign interest in purchasing from them, try out stuff instore, decide what I want, say I'll think about it, come home and order off the net.

Sneaky I know... but come on, I'm on a budget here.

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told by Empire Direct that they will now deliver to a work as well as home address.

Unfortunately, they told me after trying to deliver when I wasn't in. Doh!

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,374
    If you are having that much difficulty getting items delivered to a place other than your home address, why don't you try what I always do.

Wait for the parcel to be delivered at home. As you obviously won't be there the carrier company will leave a card in the door. When you get home, phone the number on the card and get them to deliver to your work address. It works all the time for me.

It may mean a day or two delay on delivery but least it won't mean you take a day off and then nothing turns up!

Greg

10. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    empire direct delivered to my works address,Wrong prodcut tho picked up the day after and redelivered the correct item two days later

Just a quick update

The second delivery of the correct a/v amp IE marantz sr5200 was also damaged, this has also been reurned,Was i sent someone elses returned product,Rang empire and told none in stock ( after checking the web site 5 mins earlier and they showed in stock !! )

Was told none for approx 10 days ,so i cancelled my oredr no problem.
    Rang hifi junkies
    Checked with them that they had stock,and confirmed price everything o.k. Out with the plastic ordered at 10.30 on tuesday morning (today )
    being delivered by noon tomorrow ( wednesday )

oh and £14 cheaper than empire and free delivery saving another £8

11. rp71

rp71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered from Hifi Junkies.com and have found there service superb. My order was confirmed at 11:30 by a personal email from one of the staff.

Even though the web site didn't offer delivery to works address, I told them what I wanted and they told me they could as long as I sent a fax confirming my ID.

So alls well hopefully. I've ordered a Denon 3802 and expect to wait a few weeks for it, but at least HiFi Junkies emailed to tell me of the delay, and even gave me money off speaker cable even though the delay isn;t there fault.

Cool or what.

Richard

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, this has always worked for me.