1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering from Play?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kelvin, Oct 13, 2003.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just a quick question...

When ordering from Play, how long to you usually expect delivery to take?

I had an order posted last Wednesday but it still hasn't arrived :( (Yes - I know I'm being impatient!) - Is this normal?

K.

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Was it R1 or R2?

3. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd say four working days from the 'ship' date

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    There usaully very quick. I had a delivery in 2 days once or twice but a week seems a while (unless its out of stock). email them.

S.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Yes. What DVD’s I have ordered have taken about a week, but I ordered a CD and that came 2 days later.:)

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    My copy of Halo came two days before the release date. Normaly you can expect delivery within 3-5 days. Sometimes things do get lost in the post though ( happened about 3 times now, but , on hundreds of purchases) I've had no problems getting replacements sent and these have usually been registered to make sure I get it. Replacements normaly take a couple of days. Excellent level of service imo.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I say expect it tommorow.

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's actually a PC Game but since most people on here that use Play buy DVD's I figured here was the best place to ask... :)

I'll wait a bit longer - it's not an unreasonable amount of time to wait by any means I was just curious as to whether people generally received them more quickly than I have... :)

Royal Snail, oops... Sorry, Mail does seem to be a bit random round our neck of the woods as of late... :rolleyes: :suicide: ;)

Thanks for all of the quick replies...

K.

9. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Indy collection still hasn't turned up, thy posted it on the 7th.
    My mate got his but he got stung for customs (another tenner on top).

10. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes. Being impatient is perfectly normal. ;)

11. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    being impatient come with the DVDs or PC games.
    I guess we were always used when buying that we had the stuff straight away. You know the old days when we shopped in the highstreet, everytime I buy something in my local supermarket I always ask: when can I exopect delivery and will it be below the 18quid limit to avoid customs:clown:

Ok sorry bad one.

anyways I have ordered many DVDs and CDs from play and they usually take around 3-5 days for delivery to the UK.

If you live in mainland europe you can usually wait up to 1-1 1/2 weeks.

HTH

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I went through a phase where Play was taking 30 days after "posting date". Discovered that "posting date" doesn't always actually mean that, and it can still be in warehouse even when "posted" on website.

During this spate, I always complained of non deliver after 21 days; only to find two sets of DVDs arring at the same time after they reissued. Play always blame the postman, so I had the Royal Mail put a trace (of sorts) on my mail, they were very helpful and found no problems; interestingly some of my friends (in different parts of the country) had same experience at similar time.

I used to be a great fan of Play, and almost always order R1 and R2 DVD from them, and games too; but since these numerous episodes I have really started to shop around and only order a tiny percentage from them now.

Don't get me wrong, their customer service is excellent, prices goodm etc. it just took so long for new releases to arrive (particularly when they are already in the shops at same price) that I became very frustrated with them.

You could search this forum and see what others have to say.

StooMonster

13. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    play have improved though. I they went through the same period that splashdvd is going through right now. they just couldn't coope with demand and so their processing could take up to a week. but lateley I have had no probs. then again the last time I ordered was during the summer sometimes, I think.

14. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I did do a search but finding specific information about a retailer isn't as easy as I first thought... Seems "Play" & "Delivery" are used together a bit more frequently than I thought... ;) Was just after a quick response :)

I'll post again when I receive it... fingers crossed for tomorrow eh?! ;)

Oh, and by the way...

As bad as that "Joke" (;)) was, I did smile... thankyou for brightening up my otherwise crap day... ;) :D

K.

15. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Varies, in my experience.

I think with big titles they may push the boat out - my copy of Matrix Reloaded arrived last Friday, on the official release date.

Generally, I find they take 1 (unusual) to 4 days to arrive, 2-3 on average.

I use Play pretty much exclusively, & they're reliable even when they (etremely rarely) they or the Post Office cock it up.

I ordered "Sanjuro" about a week & a half ago, got "Santa Now" (!) instead last Wednesday, posted it back the same day with a letter, & had an email today saying basically whoops sorry, we're sending you another copy & refunding your poastage. That took them 4-5 days, which I reckon is pretty good.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I find Play very good on the whole. I use them for most of my DVD purchases, even if they are £1 or £2 more expensive than other retailers, as i like their customer service. Although more DVD's go missing proportionatly from Play than from anyone else i order from, but they always give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this and ship out another copy. (Unlike some online retailers. ;) )

I find their games more expensive than a lot of companies, and i consitently find Amazon cheaper in this department. Play have seemed to increased their prices steadily on new releases, since a couple of years ago, or is my perception, although they have great bargain deals.

17. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for all the replies guys...

Arrived today, safe and sound... ;) :D

Don't expect to hear much from me for at least a couple of weeks now... :p ;)

K.

18. rare

rare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lo:)

Its my first post, and I just have to say at the moment I am dissapointed with play:(

I have orderd from them before and they have been great, but my scarface boxset was "dispatched" on the 6th, and has still yet to arrive *14th today*, I tried emailing them but I have yet to get a response:(

19. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    email is of no use with them PHONE THEM UP.

20. rare

rare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks very much buddy, I have never had a problem with them, and I prefer to use email. Thanks for the advice.

21. AudioMonkey

AudioMonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started to use them. The last thing I ordered from playusa on Monday (actually late sunday evening) arrived today :) Another order from play.com last week arrived in 2 days.

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It does say that it can take up to two weeks for something to arrive. At the end of the day you can't blame Play for Insignia's damnable incompetence ;)

But if they are simply saying "dispatched" to allay calls of "when's my dvd coming etc" then thats naughty.

23. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    isn't it The royal mail now, formerly known as CONSIGNIA??
    not that it really matters.

24. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I can accept that two weeks post when it was Region1 DVDs, but that's now from PlayUSA so there is no excuse for "customs" for Region2 or games software.

One of my friends had a problem with OUaTiA and phoned them, only for the customer service rep to admit that although website said "posted" that was more an estimate than a fact, and they didn't even have his DVD in stock yet!

I find the fact that their telephone customer service generally blame "sticky fingered postmen in the Royal Mail" (real quote), rather than their own dispatch and fulfilment, a bit rich considering the above.

Still, as I said in post above; their customer service is excellent and they will reissue without question and _most_ of the time they only take two or three days.

StooMonster

25. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Well I ordered Ice Cube the Videos Vol1 on the 29th of September it was posted on the 2nd of October and I have still not seen it!! In the meantime I ordered MOTU vol1 on the 7th and recived it on the 9th.

Oh, just looked on play and they have sent another copy which was posted on the 15th, hopfuly ill get it soon then!!

DpM

26. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered Millers Crossing at about 11.00pm on Monday night. It arrived this morning.

Never had a problem with these people.

27. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    they're normally very reliable for me, however, an amusing story here tho - I ordered fear and loathing in las vegas (R1, DTS) from the USA for 25 notes! and they said it would take 3-5 days to delivery, after about 6 days it hadn't, so I thought perhaps it had been nicked...I had sent them some e-mails asking what was going on...then they said that they'd sent another copy free of charge...but the very next day I received the oprginal copy - except I only got a card through the dopor saying that it was at my post office and I'd have to pay 8.37 customs charges...hmm...but another few days after that I received the free copy through the door and no customs charges to pay...so, 2 copies!

28. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    I have been a customer with play pretty much from the beginning after dvdexpress (california based) was my favourite since 1997/1998. Play used to be super quick and use to do only r1 imports.
    Seems like the normal story, they have gotten big and R2 has taken off so things seem to slow down...

I still think they are one of the best...Every order I done on CD-WOW had a damaged jewel case or DVD box. In the 5 years that I have ordered through play or as some may know them play247 that has never happened and they never lost a single order.....

just my 2p...