1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ordering a tosh 51WH36 questions and advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nero0410, Apr 24, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    I am ordering the 51" toshiba 51WH36 on either this wed or thurs and I have a couple of questions and like some advice I am ordering it form argos as it is the only place I am able to get it from due to personal circumstances.

I have read quite a lot up on this set but would like some simple straight answers as Im a noob to rear projection but not that new.

Taking into concideration that I would turn the contrast down concideribly and brightness.

(or would it be safer to play for a couple of hours then switch to normal tv or turn it off for thirty minutes or so then carry on)

1.Is it safe to play a games console on a rear projection tv? and for how long?

2.If a game had the option to turn static images off (which a fair few do now) how long would it be safe to play with no static images?

These questions keep popping into mind as a majority of films these days have black boarders due to different variations of widescreen modes and an anrage person would watch 2 films in an evening which could last up to 4-6 hours in total so I would presume that this has been taken into mind when designing a set like this.

Lastly normal tv viewing taken from two points 1.no static images 2.broardcast logos (sky) how long can the set be on per day? or on then off for a while then on again? is the set likely to over heat after say 6-8 hours viewing or could this damage the life of the set or the set in general like it could an lcd projector?

Could some people please let me know of any expierences they have about this set concerning picture, and with dvds and consoles ,xbox, ps2 and gamecube

I will carry on posting throughout the delvery process and let you all know when ordered, when recived any problems and my opinions etc

I do tend to watch quite a lot tv as i am disabled and do not get out much

thanks

2. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    My kids play games on my 57wh36 for a couple of hours at a time with no problems. Brightness is set at 35 to reduce screen burn risk.
    Sometimes my set will be on for 6 or 7 hours (2 films plus a couple of sky programs) and I've never noticed it getting hot.
    I suppose on average it's on for 4/5 hours a night displaying channels with and without logo's.
    Overall it's a great set and I'm completely happy with it.
    Mike

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    bit of a stupid question i suppose can you use this set for pal nd ntsc formats??

thanks mike i think i'd be looking for watcching about 3 films a night and a couple of hours of games if a game has no static images or im able to turn them off eg ssx, the get away etc would i be able to play a game for as long as i like with no risk of burn in as long as it dont have any static images that are there all the time

so a couple 2-3 hrs of games a day wouldnt hurt? for example 2-3 hours during the day and the same in the evening? with ? without static images?

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course, the set can accept PAL, SECAM and NTSC.

I wouldn't recommend playing console games for more than 1 hour at a time, eventually you will get burn-ins after a while.

When adjusting the convergence grids the ISF people says not to have it more than 30 minutes to an hour at a time as it will get easily burned in otherwise.

Play for an hour, watch regular TV for a while and the play some again....

That way you won't burn the CRT guns.

5. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    How long shall i watch tv for before i start playing again 10 20 30 mins longer? im kinda new to the rptv scene this will be my first one i think ive made a good choice cos i have a lot of argos vouchers that i was given and thats where i decided to get it from nothing above a 51" will fit into my flat i dont think thanks for the advice so many people have different opinions about playing games on these tv's i dont really know what to go by would it be ok to play games without static images cos quite a few of them dont have them or you have the option to turn them off eg 'the get away', 'ssx' , 'fifa' etc... would it be ok to play games like that if so for how long?

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, play for an hour or so, then watch som ordinary TV for an hour or so you don't get burns.

I wouldn't recommend playing for 3-4 hours as some people do, that's like asking for permanent burnin.

7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    would that also go for a game without static images??

is there a certain time you can have the set on for normal viewing movies/tv like a front projector or can you use it as a normal tv watch it for 8-9 hrs a time (3-4 films etc...) or could it over heat like front projectors could??

do rear projection sets have a 'lamp life' as such as front projectors have??

sorry bout all these questions hope it doesnt annoy you or anyone else.

tris

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you know if it is static or not when playing?

I think it's really hard to justice moving parts or static when you are playing and you get easily tricked into thinking somehting else.

A CRT RPTV like Toshiba doesn't have lamps like a digital RPTV like Sony Wega or Samsung LCD......

The CRT got a lifetime of about 15,000Hrs if you treat them well, that's like a plain TV.

Turn down the contrast and brightness when you get it to low levels.

Toshiba turns it up to 100, don't ask me why they do that, i can nearly guarantee that some people who bought the Toshiba never turned that setting down and is now sitting with burned tubes.

Just buy the Digital Video Essentials DVD to set the contrast and brightness and you are all set.

It's nothing to worry about, if you treat it well it will last many many years of great viewing for you.

I would never go back to any other TV today, it's the best thing i ever bought for money, it really is.

I am really satisfied.

9. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    so they last as long roughly as a conventional tv thats quite a releif i can watch tv for hours on end then

with the static images in games i was under the impression that a staitic image was a health/energy bar or a car speed dial and i thoght that if i played a game witout those that it should be safe

but i have had an e-mail from argos stating that toshiba said that i cant play a game on a projection tv at all as it damages the actual picture quality i dont understand that at all

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My set is norm on for around 18 hours a day and it does not get hot ( 51"), my preivious set ( 42PW23 ) was used the same and it took about 4-6 months of about 8 hours aday for the 4:3 border to burn in ( i could see it, but the misses could not.......so it was only faint )..............it took me about 2 months with the TV permently on wide to get rid of it.

I would not worry to much about burn-in and games and how long to use it for.
    I gave up after about 2 months with logos ( kept forgetting to press backup on sky box) and just left them........never had one burn in.
    Have had no burn in probs with the 51" yet and i run the settings quite high, brightness is around 70 and contrast around 50, although i've only had it for about a month.
    And i would not worry about games........when my kids get the games going, it normally turns into a 3 hour sitting, sometimes more and never had any burn in........although they dont play them as oftern as they did....prob a couple of times a month.

11. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    thats quite good to hear i generally play about 2-4 hrs of games during the day with about a 30min rest after 2 hrs and the same in the evening followed by about 2-3 films then some sky usually sci-fi this is almost a daily routiene for me i'd say about 4 out of the 7 days in the week as i dont get out hardly at all only once a week to a mates and once a foughtnight into town

12. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never run my Tosh 57" in 4:3 picture mode, i run it in Cinema mode which fills the whole screen.

This mode is really great as you don't really notice that it stretches the picture some.

Anyway i don't need to worry about burned CRTs when running it like this.

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I dont run mine with 4:3 anymore either.

I now use Super live and widescreen ( when it switches it).
    I've also advised the person who now owns my old pw23 not to use the 4:3 setting.

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    do i have to converge the set from out of the box or set it up in some way in the settings i know i have to turn the contrast and brightness down somewhat to play games toshiba reccomended only playing for about an hour and a half then watching some tv then go back to the game if i want to any one else done this?? gotta order mine either this friday or saturday so i'll keep you all posted and my pics will be on my pics thread once i have received it argos will have more after the 3rd of may so i should soon get it aftrer that hopefully only wait a week (dreaming) anyone know how long to wait for somthing like this from argos?? it says up to 21 days but someone on here waited about 5 weeks i think but in the catalog it says only up to seven days dont understand that

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    anyone care to submit their settings for films and game playing through various connections and all the consoles?? would be a great help