1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered Viera, now second thoughts...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Butte, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I have studied the treads on this forum for a couple of months, to decide what to buy.
    But my English is not that good, and absolutely stinks when it comes to technically terms, and even worse when its tecnically about flatscreens, witch i absolutly do know nothing about.

I mean, i read, read and read, but i still havent figured out what the heck do composite means ? if you told me it is at special double decker buss, i would have believed you. Then there is words like, component, scalar, rgb, etc etc, im just very confused, and i swear, they didnt tell me about these things 30 years ago in scool, when i learned English.

So.. i went the chicken way... i ordered the viera, bacically because, what i learned from this forum, its just plug and play. No worries about any scalars and double decker busses.

I got an email from the company abroad that they will send the viera next week, well i am very excited, but at the same time, i fell i maby did wrong, ordering the viera instead of the pw7 and all the boards.

Please help me, i can still cancel the order, and do the switch for pw 7, but i really need some help.

What i have:

Old amp, with a lot of connections on back.... and speakers, verry verry good , and verry verry expencive. But its old, so i dont know if it got the right connections on back. But i will by a new amp if nessecary.

PC, i use my pc for my television, watching movies etc, that is a must for the new system too. But can i connect only at the front on the viera ? or mabye through the dvd recorder first, then to the viera on the back ??

Skybox...i dont have, i live in Denmark, and what i can gather from the treads, i think it is similar to the skybox. Its basically a box, where i have my cable connected to input, output is then digital and connects through scart and antenna cable to the tv.

What i want:

My pc conneted to the BACK not the front of the new panel.

I think of buying a Panasonic dmr95 dvd recorder, witch is also already ordered with the viera.

A good PQ.....

Thats it, really.
    Can you help.. ? HorneDragon?? (oh yeah congrats on the 40000, very impresive).
    Did i do right ordering the viera or should i cancel and go for the pw7 ??

Thanks guyes, and sorry the poor English.

2. jamesanderson

jamesanderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im happy with my viera, very happy, so is my wife (who hated the idea of getting one)
    although the pc input is at the front

3. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think the viera looks wonderfull to, but the thing with connecting the pc on front scares me off.

The new flatscreen hanging on the wall, looking nice... with cabels out on the front..arrgh, lol.

Do you know if there is any way to connect the pc via the dvd recorder, and through to the viera on the back ?

And do you thind im stupid for buying the viera when i got amp and cable box already ?

4. cybercrop

cybercrop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Butte,

Where are you ordering from? I am Danish as well and have ordered a PW7. Hopefully I'll get it next week, but Panasonic does not have many PW models in DK :-(

Regarding your question, I am positive that you can route an S-video signal from your PC into your DVD Recorder and then from the DVD onto to Viera rear input.

There are also other options if you want to connect it directly to the plasma. Take a look at some of these cable solutions from this DK store:

http://av-connection.com/Functions/ProductView.asp?GroupID=38&ClassID=106

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to get the PW7, you'll probaby want to attach these boards:

1) Component/S-VHS/composite.
    http://www.bestekeus.nl/shop/images/yiq-g.jpg (This is an image of a component cable)
    If you buy a DVD recorder, connect it to the COMPONENT port (cable had 3 wires - 1 green, 1 blue and 1 red). This is the best quality input for such a device.

2) Scart.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/MXSCART.JPG(This is an image of a scart cable)
    Connect sky+ via a scart cable (a fat cable with a large rectangular block on each end with many connector pins). This is the best quality connector for Sky+. Make sure you go to SERVICES -> SYSTEM SETUP -> PICTURE SETTINGS and set SCART CONTROL ON and VIDEO OUTPUT RGB on your Sky+ box.

The PW7 has a VGA port on the back for your PC so you don't need another board for that.
    http://www.stabilant.com/VGA-Connector-11.jpg(This is an image of a VGA cable)

6. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't reccomend this. S-Video isn't that good quality.

7. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate. youve made a good choice. i thought after reading these forums that perhaps id made the wrong choice aswell to start with...
    but no the plasma is great. i really do think that most people who buy a good brand plasma will be very happy

8. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cybercrop im ordering it from Germany, as i think there are a lot of money to be saved that way. Im ordering from teknichdirekt.

Peabo, if you say that s-video is NOT the way to go, i wont go that way, and i will cancel my order.

But then i only need the two boards you mention ? and some cables, and nothing more ?

what are these boards called excactly ? I would cry if i ended up buying the wrong boards from Germany.

Component board ? and scart board ?, can you be more specific please :thumbsup:

And thanks for your descriptive information and pictures, mate.

Mooncat, thanks, but i really really dont want to mess this up, its a lot of money :eek: :clown: I want to be sure i do the right ting.

9. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see that in Germany, they use the extension EX and EXJ..
    Does anybody know what that means ?

I know it must be included boards, but cant find any info on what.

Anybody ?

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    E stands for Europe, I believe. the one we have ends in B which stands for Britain (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Have a look here:
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7bk.html
    Click the link that says 'Click to view boards and for important information.'

You want the 1st one (scart) for Sky+ and the 3rd one (component) for your DVD recorder.

If there aren't any Component boards in stock, there is also a combined Component/S-Video/Composite board which has more connectors. You probably won't need to use either S-video or Composite since both are pretty bad quality in comparison to RGB scart and Component.

11. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Peabo, very informative.

Dont i need a board for input pc ? or is that built in already in panel or ?

Found out, by using google, that the EXJ is the pwd 7 with some kind of board. 1 place mention something about a scart x 3, but the info every where is almoust none, and if any, its in German, witch i absolutely dont understand, lol.

Will try monday when ordering, to ask what boards that follows. But thanks to you guyes, now i know what to ask about, and what i need :thumbsup: .

Well i guess i didnt invent the wheel :suicide: .

12. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA (PC) port is built into the back of the panel.

13. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody ?

Also, does anybody know what the x and xj stands for in Panasonic TH 42 PW 7 EXJ.

Thanks, and ohh, did i mention i need the info before tomorow... ? :D :smashin:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    X means no boards XJ means no boards but speakers included in pack, i think just order EX model and the boards suggested mate you will also need a wall mount, (not included in the box with EX panel)

15. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8.

Hmm, but it means the speaker set is 600 pound... thats the price difference between the two.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well in UK the spekers are quite pricey....£250 perhaps J is speakers mount and scart (consumer pack) or might include PT-600 tuner unit... cant remeber off top of my head.... but you will use Hifi for sound? Why dont you send them an email to check exactly what is included with both....

17. Butte

Butte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sent them email, but they are slooow, they promised to send info about the screens, but nothing yet.

Well, thanks for the recomendations of boards i have to buy... then i dont need the js converter thing, everybody talks about ?

Another question, whitch wall mount would you suggest ? There is a loong thread about the slim one from AV, but i cant figure out what brand it is, so i can se if i can get that one in germany. Or are there other options ?

Thanks

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well get the AV-sales unit or RS100 unit shipped out mate.......I would forget the J Panny and just go for the EX mate at least you know what you are getting