Ordered Sky + - What box?

Lawe

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, after heavy talks with the boss, Sky+ has been ordered for install on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

What the question I am asking now all, is what box am I going to get?
Going by what others have said, the pace V2 box seems to be the best. But what happens if a Amstrad is presented to me? Not being a snob, but I have had Amstrad before and they tend to break/die/go up in smoke rather quickly. Do I have the choice f the box? Is it up to Sky what I get or can I tell them that on the website it shows the Pace V2 box and thats what I want?
Or am I worring over nothing with reagrds to a Amstrad box turning up? :rolleyes:

Many thanks for any replies given:smashin:

From what I recall when I sold Sky with comet a couple of years ago, when the customer booked an installation they can give a box prefrence, but if the installer doesn't have one in his van at the time. Its tuff I'm afraid!

As always with Sky - you get what you're given. You will get what their 'fitter' has on his van. My bet is it will be the Amstrad. Could even be a 'refurb'

For this reason I would always go through an independent - you should be able to specify exactly what you want - Pace receiver, CT100 cable, dish location etc. If you can't - go somewhere else - you will get what you want. It may cost a little more but isn't it worth having any job done properly?

The best things in life aren't always free!

I've just ordered sky+ and relocation of my old sky to another room, from sky.com and if the guys doesn't have a pace v2 on the van he won't be doing the job i can tell you that.

£200 you should get a new box not a "refurb" believe me it's pace v2 or nothing, i always get what i want :rotfl:

LFC Fan,

I believe by agreeing to Sky's terms and conditions you allow then to give you what they want, be it an Amstrad box, a refurbed Pace, a refurbed Amstrad or whatever . . .

Dunno what will happen if you refuse the installation cos they won't give you the box you want, but I reckon they'll charge you for the call out at least since you wasted their time . . .

Gorilla.
Newcastle Fan - 2004 UEFA Cup Winners (hopefully ;) )

Originally posted by gorilla
but I reckon they'll charge you for the call out at least since you wasted their time . . .
We'll see about that lol i've just emailed them over this and if you're right about the T&C i'll cancell my order today.

Gorilla.
Newcastle Fan - 2004 UEFA Cup Winners (hopefully ;) ) [/B]
Good luck hope you do win it :smashin: (but you're not having that 4th place :rotfl: )

Since writing this thread, I to have been thinking and while I would go through an Independent, It was easier to order it at 01:00 in the morning through Sky.

I think I will stand my ground and will ask that I get a Pace V2 box but to ensure that it is a brand new one and not a refurb.

The stupid thing is that Dixons now have Sky + for £198. This is the price for New and existing subs. I just hope that van has a new pace 2!

Hold on chaps...

I was under the impression that only PACE make the Sky+ boxes!!!!

Originally posted by Pyara
Hold on chaps...

thats what I thought too! Ive never seen a pic of anything else..... there is the pace 3000 and the 3100.

ad

ps. If anyone with a 3000 (version 1) fancies a trade for my newer 3100 (V2).... let me know ;)

I don't suppose theres a way to tell if its a refurb unit or not? However, most refurb units are to the same standard as new these days, providing that time depreciating components are replaced.

Just been reading digital spy forums where they say Amstrad are doing sky+ box's, hell a few of them have had them installed.

Just hope i do get pace :laugh:

The Amstrad have better passive ventilation and are not affected by the PACE v2 "soft focus" problem (although that has been patched now) but at the end of the day both models rely on SKY software and the EPG which are proving to be weak links in the system:(

My original installation was a refurbished Pace V1 box. Though it was in generally good external condition, it was perfectly obviously that it wasn't new: for one thing, the casing had clearly been opened and re-fitted at some stage.

It worked perfectly for a couple of weeks and then died a horrible death. The Sky installer/engineer who called to look at it replaced it immediately with a brand-new Amstrad V2, which has worked flawlessly ever since.

The Amstrad appears to be well-engineered and smartly designed, cosmetically speaking. I've no complaints about it, at least not so far...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Originally posted by Bert Coules
The Amstrad appears to be well-engineered and smartly designed, cosmetically speaking. I've no complaints about it, at least not so far...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Well, it looks as if Amstrad have improved over time going by what you guys say. I will have to wait and see.

LFC, when is your install date? Mine is being put in Thursday (in the morning I hope:) )

LFC, when is your install date?
Next Thursday could have had it this thursday but couldn't get time off work :rolleyes:

I know that feeling! I've got work in the afternoon so If they don't come in the morning, "the boss" will have to supervise!

Why don't they offer a Am/Pm install. Is that too much to ask?!!

Originally posted by Arthur Dork
Accept the Amstrad at your own risk! :devil:

Pace every time for me. Sorry.
Oh bloody hell did you have to say that? i was just going to take one in if thats all they had and then you go say that :thumbsdow ;) :laugh:

I can only repeat that I have no complaints about my new Amstrad box. It was the Pace one which let me down. It seems rather unproductive to generalise about these things.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

I don't think I'm generalising. Have you ever seen a reliable, good quality product from Amstrad? I don't recall one. Except the VCR4600 from 1987!

They have always been a budget manufacturer and still are.

Time will tell.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Had mine installed this morning, v2 Pace was all he had on his van. He also said the V1 refurb boxes were all gone after selling them off for £100, no idea if that's true though.

I had a few refurbs of Sky+ boxes last year. After months of problems Sky gave me a definitely brand new latest Pace box, which has been problem free. A sympathetic technical man said since we took the full package he would ensure that we got a new box. It was the only one, apart from the original that had a new unused book with it. Also it was in an unopened box.

A neighbour awaiting a Sky installation went to the engineer as he arrived and said he wanted a Panasonic box. The engineer said he didn't think he had any, my neighbour said "A tenner for a Panasonic box" and, of course, one materialised!

Well D Day as arrived. Arriving "between" 11am - 2pm. What will he bring... This is like Vegas! :D

Originally posted by Lawe
Well D Day as arrived. Arriving "between" 11am - 2pm. What will he bring... This is like Vegas! :D
LOL be sure to come back and tell us what ya get :D

Well just as I was leaving the house, Mr Sky turned up. Left the wife to get on with things.

Having contacting base, the word "Amstrad" came in to the conversation. Yep, I have a Amstrad box :rolleyes:

But... I will now be getting a replacement box on Monday because the modem is :censored: (well not working!).:laugh:

I have asked what box I will be getting in it's place and Pace was the answer and will be brand new. I will now be off on Monday to ensure that a new box is provided or....

Still at least I can play with the box until the new one arrives, well that is when I get back home at 23:00 tonight.:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom