1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered Samsung SP42Q2HDX 42" rear pro. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BLIM NI, Aug 21, 2005.

1. BLIM NI

BLIM NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. I have ordered a Samsung SP42Q2HDX 42" Rear Pro for my bedroom in anticipation of the x-box 360. This is a big investment as i am only 18 and had to do a lot of overtime in BT (ughh) to raise the necessary £800. I am struggling to find details in relation to this set (screen resolution etc....) and would appreciate any educated opinions and info.
    Thanks for any replys in advance. :)

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: BLIM NI

Even samsungs own site dont give much away, however it is definately not HD Ready. It does have a component input but as to the screen res, id guess at standard def but my mates old samsung does 1080i via component or so it says on the tv. I had the old sp43 rear pro and my xbox was very good on it.
    If you have a look about you'll prob find it cheaper than £800 too.

3. BLIM NI

BLIM NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for info mate. I was looking in a brocure which said it was hi def but did not specify a resolution. I really hope it is at least 720i. My mum works in a TV shop so I do get 20% off the £800 asking price. They assured me it was a quality tv (quote sales rep) "Its the daddy of all TV's in its price range" :mad:

4. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Like i said it may do 1080i via component like my mates, like you said for the money its alot of tv, i paid £1300 when i got my old sammy rear pro and i had reliable and enjoyable years with it, my baby brother now has it and its still going strong. :D

5. BLIM NI

BLIM NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how long the lamps generally last on these tv's. I have heard a lot of negative stories since placing the order but I'm still pretty confident that Samsung are a good make. Also took out a 3 year warranty just in case :)

6. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Not really sure how long but my old one is about 3 years old, Razor would prob no the answer to that as im sure he has changed something in his old rear pro.
    Generally samsung are reliable hence why ive got another sammy. :smashin:

:hiya: Razor

Your wisdom is called for oh wise one, any idea on lifespans.

7. BLIM NI

BLIM NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that razor does seem to be the holy grial for TV knowledge.
    Thank you for all your help with my questions. :smashin:

:hiya: Razor. If you happen to see this post your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

8. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hi

they last a long time, it really depends in theory they should last for 2-4 years, and it depends how how long u keep the tv switched on.. like me i had mine on 24-7 well near enough and the lamp was still going after a year...

9. BLIM NI

BLIM NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for reply :smashin:
    Do you know anything (eg screen resolution) about the model of TV I have ordered? Samsung SP42Q2HDX. Cannot find much useful information. Even at the Samsung website.

10. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The idea is you ask BEFORE your order something, not after.

Lets hope you got lucky :p

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes. What he said! :lesson:

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Blim :hiya:

Welcome to the forums. :smashin: Cheers for calling me the Holy Grail of TV's :D

The samsung set you are after is a WXGA LCD panel (googled it), which means it has a maximum resolution of 1366 by 768 pixels. This is plenty for HD but as this set has no digital inputs (DVI/HDMI) you will not be able to use it for Sky HD (only component) and Blue Ray/HD-DVD. As these HD formats require HDCP to work.

There is hardly any info on this set which is surprising. I am not 100% sure if this set can produce HD at all (720p or 1080i), evan though the panel is ment to be WXGA.

I would personaly go for a DLP over a LCD panel as the picture quality is far superior, also these LCD panles are prone to convergence set up problems, something you dont have with DLP.

Lamp life should do you for around 5 years or more of heavy use.

If your budget can strecth a bit furthur I would go for the 46' samsung as it is a true HD ready set with many inputs and a far better picture. Approx price around the 1k mark, but as you have said you can get a discount off this price. A DLP set is far more future proofed than the aging LCD rear pros.

edited by LV426

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    BLIM NI

I've taken the liberty of merging your separate thread with the sequence of posts in the DLP general chat sticky so as to create a single thread on this subject.

Which brings me along to........the TV isn't a DLP set; I believe it's a CRT rear projector. So, I'm moving your thread to a more suitable place.

Nigel