Ordered a Panasonic TX28PL1

H

hutchingsp

Hmm.. Started off looking at the £200 Nikeis in Safeway, then the £300 LG at Miller Bros, then the £400 28" 6006 in John Lewis.

They didn't have those available, and whilst checking out all the sets on display I saw a TX28LP1.

Maybe "wow" is a little OTT but for the price it looks like a hell of a good set, plus JL give a five year warrantee which is worth a couple of hundred quid - why would anyone buy a TV from Currys/Comet????

I hadn't seen that set before, but on the basis I can cancel my order before it's delivered (a week tomorrow) I ordered one.

Just got back and did a search on this forum, have to say I'm a little concerned, but it does seem that if you stick pretty much anymodel of TV into the search engine it'll come back with horror stores, plus I believe JL are a likelier bet for a good result if there is a problem. I must've spent a good fifteen minutes watching the display model and didn't notice anything amiss.

I have to say I was rather disappointed by some of the Loewe sets on display, the had one for £800 that looked no better than the Nikei in Safeways!

Never knew this forum existed until yesterday - it's a mine of information!

regards
Paul

Just some quick advice DO NOT use with cheap dvd players if playin back region 1 dvd discs i recommend a toshiba which has no problem with this brand of tv

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
Just some quick advice DO NOT use with cheap dvd players if playin back region 1 dvd discs i recommend a toshiba which has no problem with this brand of tv

That's *damn* handy, I have a chipped UK model Toshiba 2109, no plans on changing it but if I do it'll be for another tosh - best picture quality and "easy in the dark" remotes IMHO.

regards
Paul

Paul,
Can you tell me the price JL have the TX28LP1.
Their website is a little sparse to say the least.
I'm looking into getting this TV at the moment.
Dixons online had a Christmas day 10% off which put this TV at £412 delivered....no sign of it now though, it's back up to the £458ish mark.
Don't forget JL do pricematch if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

John

Originally posted by john039
Paul,

£499 all-in at Solihull. I'd gone over to look at the Philips 6006 and didn't even know the Panasonic existed until that point.

Not sure if the JL price match runs to Internet companies?

Cheapest I've seen is about £460, I realise they're not a charity, but given their price includes delivery and a five year warranty (£195 at Currys) I don't feel hard-done by...

Paul

Originally posted by john039
Paul,
Their website is a little sparse to say the least.
I'm looking into getting this TV at the moment.
Dixons online had a Christmas day 10% off which put this TV at £412 delivered....no sign of it now though, it's back up to the £458ish mark.
Don't forget JL do pricematch if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

John

I managed to get one from Dixons for £412 on xmas day, certainly not bad when you consider its £500 in store and £600 in Argos, if price is your main concern you might like to keep checking.
I've noticed Dixons/Currys have been doing 10% off certain items fairly regularly, they had 10% off all WS's a couple of weeks ago too, but only for a day.

On my second of these sets, both with geometry problems. £500 from Comet store. First set condemed by engineer in an instant, second 'against the better judgment' of the engineer as he said set was 'within tolerances'. If you call not being able to draw a straight line a 'tolerance' then you will love the set. Getting money back, but I had to talk of phoning Comet managers, Panasonic and credit card company to convince the 'engineer', who, incidentally, hadn't a clue how to operate the set.

Picture fantastic (really, really), sound O.K. (but then I intend to use my own amp later), dead easy to operate, no fancy bits you'd never use. Geometry bad, noticeable on DVD / menus, sports results or anything drawing a striaght vertical line on the left of the screen. Edges of 4:3 mode poor too. Engineer reckons all widescreens are like this and mine was a good one. Funny that no-one ever talks of these problems at the time of sale - all the reviews of all but cheap sets say geometry 'excellent'. Smells of a a consipricy.....?

Find a retailer who can get you this set with good geometry (get in writing before buying) and you will not be disapointed. We are going to our local independant shop on Monday after returning current set to Comet. Set is £550 from them, but if its straight, I still reckon its a bargian.

If you got Barclaycard then buy the £550 set, find the cheapest price on the internet and Barclaycard will refund the difference(price promise).
The cheapest one i saw instore about £480, think it was Miller Brothers.

Both the PL1 and PL10 give some terrific images for the money, however the sound is pretty bysmal on both...

Agree with you on the sound front. Very average, but liveable as the picture in one of the best I've seen (28PL1). I find the Panny PL10 28" and 32" images a bit 'grey' and 100Hz in general a little un-natural, but on the flip side find 50Hz flickers quite a lot (but still preferable to 100Hz).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom