1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered a Pana TH42PHD. Worried about 4:3 vs 16:9

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mark Payne, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Mark Payne

Mark Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have ordered a Pana PHD7. I understand this is the HiDef (or should I say "Higher Def") cousin to the well respected PWD7.

.... It is a 16:9 screen but the native resolution is 1024 x 768 ... and that is 4:3 ratio? on a 16:9 physical panel? That confuses me.

I will be plugging this in to the DVI out of a Media Server (elonex Artisan.. in the que!). Am I going to be setting the PC to 1024 x 768? ... and if I now play a DVD, wont the PC think this needs to be letter boxed? I am worried that I will end up with a letter boxed image in a 16:9 screen!

Please advise and thanks in advance
    Mark

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Depends on your DVD software. Many can make allowances for this 'distortion', it's simple mathematically for a PC. The pixels are rectangular, that's all. Be reassured you are not the 1st to be slightly thrown by this. Your icons will be short ant fat, sure, but somewhere in your DVD software there will be a setting for this.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    or set PC output to 1366x768 and let the panel sort out the scaling

4. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The PHD7 has indeed 0.90 x 0.675mm pixels. However setting your PC to a different aspect ratio shouldn't be too hard. What kind of software will you be using for DVD playback? MCE asks the aspect ratio during setup, and you can specify "16:9". The latest PowerDVD also has native support for 16:9 aspect, and I think there's a patch for earlier versions as well.