1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered 46WM48 & Ps97! - But suffering from Cable Confusion!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KableMan, Mar 12, 2005.

1. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All

I've finally ordered a Toshiba 46WM48 from Sound & Vision for £1545 :clap: and a Panasonic s97 (Multi-region for £185) :smashin:
    (The SP50L7HX was my first choice :thumbsup: but £2.4K is too rich for my blood :( - but the Toshiba looks the business too and i'm now well pleased with my decision from a quality and budget point of view :smashin: )

So now i'm looking for the right cables to connect everything together and my head is spinning :confused: I thought choosing the TV and player was hard!! Its like you need a degree in chemistry to understand all the jargon! oxygen free anyone?

So what do I need?

1) HDMI -> HDMI to connect DVD to TV. I'm assuming this is the best connection. Budget around £40

2) Component Cables - do I need these if I have the HDMI? Is there any reason I need both - most people seem to talk like they have both for different occasions. Aren't these just (high quality) phono cables or am I missing something? Budget £20-30

3) Scart -> Scart x2 (or 3) to connect my S-VHS Video Recorder (no I don't have a DVD recorder yet! I'm holding out for the new Telewest 3 tuner PVR with 160GB and HDMI or Sky's equivalent) to the TV and my Telewest box to the TV. Bugger :eek: just reaslised i'll need to daisey chain these too! I have ordinary (but thick) scart cables (not sure if they are RGB) to connect my rptv etc right now. Budget £25-30 each?

4) I have a cambridge audio coax to connect my DVD player and receiver (STR-DB940) and Monster Phonos to connect the Telewest STB. I plan on using the Toshiba's on board speakers for normal TV watching. I had an optical cable too but prefer the coax.

I guess I need all of the above in 1.5m to 2m - everything will be under or next to the TV. Does this help the price when choosing as I've read that shorter distances don't need all the shielding or am I talking rubbish :rolleyes:

5) DVI -> HDMI. I'd like to connect my PC to the TV sometimes and its about 3-4m away. I heard that DVI can degrade over longer distances though? I want to build a HTPC and then I guess I could use the HDMI cable with an adapter? Will I notice the difference between DVI and D-SUB? WMV HD looks fine on my monitor without DVI. Budget £40

a) So where can I get all these cables from?
    b) What brand do you recommend - Profigold, IXOS, Monster or no-name!?
    c) Best price - I don't want to break the bank or get ripped off buying hi-grade cables I don't need (or can't spot the difference with) but also I don't want to cripple my system with cheap interconnects :rolleyes:

I'm not an audio-phile but I can spot a dodgy picture so decent cables for visuals is important to me.

Any advice will be greatfully received :) (sorry for the long post)

Cheers
    KableMan

2. stelyn

stelyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,The panny s97 comes with a hdmi cable,so thats one less thing to worry about!!!
    Steve

3. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks stelyn - I didn't know that so I'll give it a try before splashing out :smashin:

What about the rest of my questions guys? there must be a wealth of knowledge out there?? - what cables are you using to connect your DLP's?

I've just read that the PC VGA connection on the Toshiba gives better results than the HDMI - is this true?

As I said all advice is much appreciated :lease:

4. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    Try, www.keene.co.uk. Keene Electronics will make up any cable you want at any length you need and at good prices

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks sikenny :smashin:

6. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    Go to there web site and order there mag...shed loads of good gear in there, cables,scalers etc etc :thumbsup:

7. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Where did you read that? Cos it ain't true!

Bin the standard leads, not enough screening, buy new one's, flog the standard ones's on ebay that's what I did. Buy triple screened, gold contacts £40 max per cable any more and I can't see the difference in PQ.

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product... & DVI/v/4fd93aa5-265f-4a46-bddb-c14639944ad0

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi mrmoo - I read it yesterday on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1412134&highlight=vga#post1412134

:blush: Sorry if I got this wrong but the majority of the people here indicated 1280x768 via PC VGA at 60Hz as the best because they couldn't get the native resolution of 1280x720 to work. Infact I saw your post there too indicating that HDMI is better and i'd wanted to ask you if you could confirm that 1280x720p works fine (better) via HDMI without overscan? So your response it timely - thanks :) So is it 1 : 1? This is how i'd prefer to use it from my 9800pro via its DVI.

Unfortunately there's so much misinformation about the Toshiba :mad: - posts on many other threads tend to make off-hand criticisms about it but when I saw it in the flesh, read some positive threads and finally saw your images (which were fantastic btw) this made up my mind to go for it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the cable tip too - if I can get results like those you posted i'll be well chuffed :clap:

Also - can you confirm whether or not I should bother with component as well as HDMI? How do you switch between your PC and DVD player or do you have a dedicated HTPC?

Cheers
    KableMan

9. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  10. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Powerstrip is your friend. Just go to the custom configs and try each one in turn eventually you will get HDTV 1280x720p at 60Hz. I used both outputs on the graphics card (x800xtpe) and switched between PC and HDMI until it came to life. If you want to use both DVD HDMI and the PC use a HDMI switch from Gefen.