1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ordered 36" PD30 now need a DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Anastie, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    OK I have ordered a PD30 to replace my 28" Toshiba. Present reciever is a Sony STRDB930 and a Toshiba 220. I now need to replace my DVD with something that will compliment my new PD30. Limited budget. Looked at the Panasonic S75 and Toshiba 530. Any advice as ever is appreciated.

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Anastie,
    Yesterday I bought the S75 to edit RAM onto an E50 and gave it a quick run and found it has a great picture, revealing more texture and cinema looking than my Sony ns900. It is also easier to work through the menus, the only downside is the one scart but I am using it last in a long RGB loop S75-> SKY-> E50-> 900dvd-> TV-AV 1(RGB)
    As mentioned, only bought yesterday but I do like it.
    Ged

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For a full review check out www.whatvideotv.com I only paid £125 multi region from Sound and Vision Bolton.

4. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    TYPICAL......... Thats who I ordered my PD30 from:lesson:

5. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thanks all but I have found another DVD player to throw into the arena. The Pioneer 565. It is a bit more expensive but appears to offer the same features as the S75 plus a few more. Opinions always valued. Cant find a damn review on the 565 :(

6. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    BUMP
    Come on people please advise. Is the 565 worth the extra over the s75?
    Thanks

7. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    I'm looking at replacing my ageing Pioneer DVD 515 with the Sony DVP-NS730 as Techtronics are selling it for £140 with free delivery and it seems to be NTSC and PAL progressive. Have you considered it?

8. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just ordered the Sony 730 for £139 from Techntronics - I have a pd30 too, and as this is my first multi-region DVD player, all of my DVDs are PAL region 2. So I wanted PAL progressive scan over DVD-A or SACD capabilities, as I couldn't see any disc in either music format that I really wanted.

I've been mulling over the Harmon Kardon DVD25 and the Sony 930, but not the Pioneers, as they don't do Pal progressive. This is one of the reasons why I bought the PD30, and in the end, the price of the Sony 730 made it an easy decision.

9. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I had not considered that player. I do want to take advantage of the PD30's qualitys and progressive appears to make sense. I need to be able to play my multi region DVD's and as a bonus VCd's etc. Does the Sony still play "All" disks?
    Thanks

10. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    The Sony doesn't play DVD-Audio but is SACD compatible. As for playing MP3, DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW I'm not sure but the Sony website should tell you. As should the Techtronics one.

11. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't think the Sony 730 plays SACD - that's the 930. I've seen one website which says the 730 plays SACD, but all the others do not, so I think that's wrong.

Techtronics quote that the 730 plays
    DVD-Video / Video CD / DVD-R and DVD-RW (inc VR mode discs) playback
    MP3 / CD / CD-R / CD-RW playback

It's £136.99 from Techtronics, multi-region (RCE) enabled.

However, I placed my order yesterday, and haven't even had confirmation yet....... there are some conflicting reports about this company on this website.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Cheers

Simon

12. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Just wanted to check
    I watch region 1 and 2 DVds. So my daft question from a novice is:
    Do I need a DVD player that plays both PAL and NTSC progressive? If I get one that is only NTSc progresive what will I be missing out on?
    Thanks

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I have the Pio 565. I was told it can convert PAL to Progscan NTSC. I have an external processor so I don't use this functionality and can't comment on the quality of PAL > NTSC Prog scan compared to PAL > PAL Prog scan.

I bought the 565 for dvd-a and sacd. I'm really impressed with it. I had a Tosh2109 before and the build quality, video & Audio are all improved.

Some people have been discussing a possible problem with scart output. Two people were seeing banding in dark areas. I use the s-video and component outputs and have not experienced any problems.

Jus.

14. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anastie, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm ordering a PD30 and a DVD player too.

I see absolutely no point in buying a DVD player without both PAL and NTSC scanning - omitting one or the other would be an injustice to the PD30 imo. I've been looking at the HK DVD25 which does both. The DVD30 seems too expensive, besides I'm unconvinced by DVD-A: I mean I've shelled out $$ for a good CD player, why would I go back to playing CDs on a DVD player - even if they are surround...?

Let me know what you decide on and if you can post your experiences when you chose that would be great.