1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Order Hoya FL-D HMC online

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Just ordered the Hoya FL-D HMC filter for my AE100 online from the States for less than £22 delivered
    :D
    been after this for age's Click

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

That site quotes $50 for Fedex International delivery - How did you specify the shipping charge ??

Thanks,

Sean G.

3. amordue

amordue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jessops.com (uk) do them as well, not sure about the thread size for the AE-100, but I bought a 52mm one for an Hitachi LCD, it was £21 shipped (and only a couple of days in coming).

Alex

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Sean

When i went to the checkout there were several delivery options, the first one was $12, hope I haven't f*cked up. :(

Alex

The FLD at jessops is not the HMC version, this is hard to get hold of in the UK.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Just checked, I f*cked up :( I was in a Rush... Damb just cancelled it.

6. amordue

amordue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah, ok. Haven't really noticed any problems with the non multicoated version, I guess there might be less light reflected back into the projector with the HMC one, which might reduce the increase in contrast level you would get from the multicoated version.

The filter does help the contrast level and makes the colours look a lot more lifelike on the Hitachi (no more green people), and is definitely worth the small cost (comparitively).

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

I seriously did not mean to ****** oy parade, When I saw your post I went through the ordering process, credit card in my sweaty little palm (its in a shocking state since Christmas !!), and was zapped by the carriage charge...........

I know that the regular FL D can be gotten from Jessops and other places but I wanted the Multicoat (HMC) one - the regular one reflects some light back through the lens, whereas the MC one doesn't (or so I understand).

Oh well, let's keep looking. The colour correction (CC30R/CC40R types) are not suitable for AE100, as you can't access the gain of the panels. I was chatting to a guy in a phtographic supply place today, he said they do "other" flourescent filters - I think I'll try to toddle up to them tomorrow and have a look see. Maybe the Hoya factor arises from their low cost and easy availability to our US cousins ~(avsforum) - it might be worth trying out an alternative.

Sorry again,

See ya

Sean G.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Sean

Thanks for pointing it out anyway, I will take my time next time.
    I was offered the FL-W at jessops, I believe it cuts out less green than the FL-D, still like you I want the HMC for the same reason as you.
    I will keep looking. :)

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my HMC from the States - had to fax them my CC details, but it took around 5 days to arrive, and cost around £18 delivered. http://www.2filter.com - you need to email Barbera. They charged me $10 for US Mail delivery, as opposed to a courier. Great service.

10. rthorto1

rthorto1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you please specify exactly which filter you have ordered?Number etc. and how much benefit it has made to the image!:confused:

11. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it really worth the expense?
    Does it have that much of an impact on the image.
    If so, I am definately going to Jessops :)
    What thread size do I need for the AE100?

Cheers
    Chris

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Its 55mm but it doesn't fit exactly, the thread in the AE100 is set quite deep so people have been using electical tape to hold it in place.

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Tim,

I picked up a Hoya FLD today - ordinary not HMC - and can confirm that the reported benefits from here and avsforum are accurate. I got a 52mm version - they didn't have a 55mm in stock (considering that you have to use some sort of "lash up" to get it to fit, I reckoned it wouldn't matter). Basically I got fed up looking for the HMC version and lost patience !!. The placeI got it from also had Cokin square FLD filters (for fitting in a frame, like the gel filters). I didn't fancy sticking one of these to the front of the Pj, and there was only about £5 in the difference.

The filter fits inside the front of the lens on the AE100 - mine has now got a single piece of masking tape about 3 - 4mm wide aroung half its circumference. This is sufficient to give an "interference" fit.

I reset the brightness, contrast and sharpness by eye at first, as well as boosting the G and B, B by about twice the amount as G.

The result is richer colours - more balanced, I'd say, better contrast, with blacks seeming "black" more than the usual shade of grey. Noticeable too is the bars above and below the image with 2.35:1 movies - they really are "blacker" than they once were. It is also possible to ramp up the brightness without getting the usual haziness, and green/grey overtones as before.

I then reset using THX Optimiser (and yes I know the Avia is the proper thing to use........... Kramer, would you like to call back again ???:D ) and found that the result was an image that was very vibrant, but a little over-bright for my taste. Some more tweaking (cutting back brightness and sharpness) and voila , its now a much improved image.

Definitely worth 30 euros (about £18), the cheapest and simplest upgrade you could do to a pj.

Cheers,

Sean G.

14. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have had the 55mm fld filter for about 5 months now and it realy does make a difference to the image on my ptae. as theritz says the blacks are soo much better and the banding is minimised, when i took the filter off to clean it the other day i couldnot believe how poor the image looked without the filter,so it went straight back on.

its just the standered fld filter i have and not the multi coated version i got it from jessops for about £20 took about 3 wks from ordering to collecting it.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Sean

I received an email today for the said Company on my first post, it gave details for a tracking order with FedEx, Swines! after me Emailing them to cancel it. I checked my account and they charged me £30 :eek: getting on for double what Richard payed, at least they didn't charge me the $50 for International shipping, hope its worth it now. ;)
    You seem very pleased with it, why have we waited so long???
    It must be worth the price just to get better black borders when viewing 2.35:1 films, this really lets films down having grey bars next to a jet black border on my screen.
    I tend to use the THX Optimiser myself, its quick and easy even though I own The DVD Platinum setup disc, no match to Avia.

Sean/Chic, I have read that the filter reduce's screen door slightly, what do you think???

16. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    screen door was not a problem for me before i used the filter i couldnot realy notice it from my seating position, so its definately not a problem with the filter, it realy improve films where there are shots of the sky and you could notice the banding on the panels , with the filter on this problem is greatly reduced

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

The absolute feckers !!! At least you don't seem to be getting caught for a fortune on the shipping. Don't worry, though, I reckon you'll be well pleased with the result.

As for Screendoor, I've just had a look, and it does reduce the appearance somewhat but TBH I don't really get bothered by it - the missus prefers the image pin sharp and doesn't notice the Sdoor at all, and if I'm watching something on my own I tend to defocus the pj ever so slightly so its not really visible.

The once grey bars on 2.35:1 are not jet black, but there is a very noticeable improvement for me.

Once I had finalised my settings, I took a quick tour through some of my favs, 5th element, AOTC, LOTR, even Monsters Inc. (it looks good almost no matter what !) and I really appreciated the better blacks in LOTR, as well as more balanced and vibrant colours. Because its possible to have the brightness set higher than before, far more shadow detail is coming out, while scenes with very black and white stuff (like in the opening parts of LOTR) are clearer, and the improved contrast is deepening the perception of the blacks.

I know my descriptions are subjectively based as opposed to technical descriptions but it really is well worth doing - any increased cost your facing isn't much more than a couple of dvds and you'll get a much better return for it.

All the best,

Sean G.

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for your replys, can't wait to try it now, I wonder how fast FedEx are????
    Whats happened to Kramer? hope he hasn't whimped out for all the stick he's been getting. :D

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Wimped out ???:D :D

Oh jaysus, I can't wait to see his response to that !! He's been away from base for a couple of days, visited me (see thread), should be back in da house later tonite, I hope.

See ya,

Sean G.

20. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :p :p :p

Too ****ed to return fire just now, but:

Mine's better than yours (& theritz's & 100 others)!

;)

21. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ha !

Feeble excuse !!

You're at a loss for what to say 'cause you've got an ugly piece of plastic stuck to the front of your twin propeller dimplex in an effort to get your greys to turn a darker grey !!

Hey !!

I've just thought of the perfect solution to all your woes -------

Achieve completely black blacks, and a totally silent projector (and gawd knows you're the very man for silencing stuff)--------

THROW A BLANKET OVER THE BLOOMING THING and buy back your AE100 -

You know you haven't been happy since you let it go, and my missus wasn't the only thing you looked at longingly when you were in my gaff, I saw the way you looked at the PJ, said "AH yessssss, screendoor", when it came into sharp focus, as only an AE100 can, and the glint of a tear in your eye as you saw the Menu appear on the screen.........so fess up you git and rejoin the fold !!!!

Oh bugger, it's too late for this...... When are you going to start keeping normal hours ? I'm off to bed.....

theritZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sean G.

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    That would be 105 others.
    No! Your's is UGLIER than our's ;) :D

Gee its hot near your PJ [​IMG]

Nice one Sean [​IMG]

23. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836

LMAO:D

Has anyone directly compared the FL-D filter with the HMC? I have an FL-D filter for my Z1 (wouldnt view anything without the filter!!!)....is it worth spending another £20-£30 for the HMC?

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I recieved my HMC filter Today, not bad as it was only despatched from Canada on Friday.
    I was expecting it to fit better than it does, I knew it woudn't screw in, but it takes some jiggling to get it to tape on squarely.
    I only tested for a short time, but first impressions are not bad, it gave a similer effect to my Brothers grey screen with his PLV-30, it makes the blacks slightly better but reduce's the whole brightness of the image.
    I used Attack of the clones for a test disc and for the use of THX optimode.
    I was surprised to find that I didnt need to adjust the settings much, maybe (1) on contrast and brightness.
    Overall I found it produce slightly better blacks, as for skin tones, they look pretty good anyway with this disc, I will have to give "The Matrix" a spin as this disc always looked green to me.
    people have said it reduces vertical banding and screen door, can't say i would agree with that at this stage.
    Like Sean said "The once grey bars on 2.35:1 are not jet black, but there is a very noticeable improvement for me".

Did anyone else find they had to adjust thier settings much after fitting the filter, as mine were almost spot on.

25. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tim, most of The Matrix is meant to have a green cast (those parts not set on Morpheus's sub - i.e. those scenes IN the Matrix). Not a good test disc :D :D

26. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    RichardH,

I'd say Tim knows about the green Matrix, ;) but it should be a good example to check on increased shadow detail. (Reminds me, must give it a whirl tonite). Having said that, the first time I saw the Matrix on my PJ, I was a bit thrown by the green caste - I hadn't seen it in the cinema !! :D

Tim,

Have to say that running tyhrough THX Optimiser I needed to change settings a good bit - can't remember the detail, but I was able to bring Brightness up a good bit - I had it set in the minuses and contrast ramped up in search of better blacks and less "green fog" - if you know what I mean.

I found settings which Li On posted on avsforum after using Colorfacts with AE100 and tried them out last night - thought colours were a bit saturated so wound them back a little. I'll post more details later - afternoon cup of coffee about to be finished !

I haven't noticed a great diminuition of overall brightness with the filter - my room is mid/dark blue matt paint and completely blacked out - I find the brightness just fine.

Chat later,

Sean G.

27. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure Tim does, but you never know....

When playing with my filter, I must admit to ending up going round in circles - particularly with HCPC, there's just too many things to adjust. Must make time to have another go, but DIY, kids, work etc kind of take precedence...:rolleyes:

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    OK...Maybe not The Matrix then ;) The Mummy Returns should make a good test disc, lots of dark shaddows, there's a good scene near the beginning, with Torche's (flame on a stick) shows up poorly calibrated PJ with no detail in the shaddows.

Sean

Any chance of posting your settings? (PJ) not prov.
    I struggled to calibrate the ProV today, I had the dreaded Brightness fluctuation's, so coudn't get the Contrast dead on, I am going to leave my proV on to see if it cures the Fluctuation's.

Sean

When I used THX optimode, I used it before and after the filter was fitted, and there was little differance, maybe because I have the HMC and it lets more light through.

29. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Tim,

This is a difficult one - I'm getting brightness fluctuations thru' the ProV -- I'm convinced that this is a macrovision issue. However, the effect is to render calibration of any kind quite difficult. To cap it all, the remote for the ProV has gone wonky - I'll be out with my footprint and fingerprint kit later - I didn't "wonky" it, but when I catch the person who did, pocket money will be a thorny issue !!!

I'm declaring a Caveat here, not to you, but to other readers and an acknowledgement that this is less than scientific, yes that Avia or similar would prob be more effective etc. etc. If you're in the "Video Essentials/Avia" category, you may find the rest of this post pointless, and good luck to you. Escape now, while you can !!;)

In any case, here goes:

ProV setting:

Brightness 85
    Contrast 170
    Saturation 170 - 165
    Sharpness 5
    Hue 127

AE100 settings

Setting: Normal.

Colour Temp: Normal.

Brightness +5

Contrast +5

Sharpness 0

R +8

G -15

B +20

The added setting in Red is a "moveable feast" - the Red and the Hue setting in the ProV, can have a combined setting which saturates flesh tones in particular. If this happens dial the Hue back to about 120. Dialling the Red back from the setting above unbalances the white balance of the light output, in the context of using the Filter in the first place.

Far more difficult is the Brightness - in addition to the macrovision effect fouling up proceedings, the capacity to crush the whites here is almost overwhelming - I found it difficult to settle, but the above, for me, I stress, gives good results for instant in Obiwan's visit to Corisant (excuse spelling error if any) to see the clone army in production, for instance, in AOTC (Can't remeber Chapter reference.)

When using the laptop as a hcpc, the prov + macrovision are out of the equation, and the following settings (posted by Li On on avsforum) were a starting point for interest:

AE100 Setting: Normal

R +16

G -15

B +31

I found this setting quite saturated, and dialled back to R = +8,

and could live with B = +20, Which gives the settings given earlier (!) in the post.

Where next ????

I'm going to THX Optimiser the blessed thing again from laptop, 'cause i can't remember the settings I had it at in the first place. Pen and Paper now essential equipment in movie room !!

Sorry for length of post.

See ya,

Sean G.

30. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really should get some electricity in your house Sean :p

I know candles provide an "ambience" & all that, but come on, it's the 20th century man :p

20th here in Ireland!