1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

order a plasma from outside UK

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PeeWee, Feb 15, 2003.

1. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Can anybody please advice me on this:
    I would very much like to buy a Pioneer plasma pdp-433mxe. I prefer buying it in The Netherlands, where I live, but prices in UK are much, much lower (about £1000!). I compared the cheapest sites in NL with the cheapest ones in UK like NexNix, Ivojo etc. where they have it for about £5500.

Most of these sites are willing to ship it to NL. But questions I have are:
    - Apart from the mains lead, will it technically be compatible with NL? (I think it does..)
    - Who has a good experience on this and can recommend me a shop where I can order it?
    - Shops I saw want me to pay the whole amount in advance. That frightens me (what if..)? Any suggestions?
    - I consider also driving to (south) England and get it myself? But how and where? Where can I actually unpack/look/check for dead pixels etc. before I buy it? Any pitfalls?

I know , a lot of questions, but for this kind of amounts, it simply frightens me to just pay and order it.

2. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi PeeWee,

Sorry I can't recommend any dealers in the South of England that you could drive to, but I'm sure someone will. soon.

As for technical differences I think you will be just fine buying a plasma destined for British consumers. I've got a European model Panasonic Series 5 plasma and the only change was, indeed, the power cord. It might be different with the Pioneer though.

3. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi peewee
    give nexnix a call they are very helpful and are in the south of england and i would think they would let you check screen before buying
    hopes this helps

4. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks derekcross and JamieD for thinking with me.

NexNix actually wrote me that they have it in stock, but they don't have it 'here' so I can't just go and have a look. That's a pity. I thought that they had a shop and sellalot of plasma's there, 'cause I read them so often in that area.

Btw, do plasma's usually survive shipments?

And did anyone succesfully connect a Denon DVD2800MKII (which should be Pal Progressive after a firmware refresh) and the Pio PDP-433MXE. Can I expect Pal Progressive display from that combination?

So many questions...
    PeeWee

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi PeeWee,

I'm sure a plasma would survive a journey from England to the Netherlands as long as it was securely strapped vertically to a shipping pallet. After all, they seem to survive the much longer journey from Japan to England :p

You can definitely display PAL progressive on a Pioneer 433MXE including that from, I think, a Denon 2800MKII. By the way, the Pioneer is £3641 at Ivojo.

Steve

6. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi PeeWee,

Although NexNix carry stock of the Panasonics and the Hitachi's they get the Pioneers shipped to customers directly from their distributor.

I guess you could ask them to get one from their distributor and then you could pick it up from their premesis - they don't have a shop in the traditional sense of the word but they do have a demo room.

If you are going to transport it yourself it is important that the screen remain upright. So your vehicle is going to have to be able to take a box that's about 43cm wide x 120cm long x 75cm high. Note also that if you open the box, the straps which are wrapped around the box hold the box together so you will need to replace these with either strong tape or rope.

It's probably easier to get it shipped to you. I must admit that I have one dead pixel on my screen but I never notice it.

Hope the above helps.

Derek

7. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens to them if they're transported flat? I was thinking of collecting mine, but it will only go in my car on its back

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    cjdshaw

Laying it flat you run the risk of the glass 'bottoming' out on the electrical innards of the display and cracking.

The smaller panels < 42" are not such a problem but I would follow the manufacturers recommendation and keep it upright. (hire a van for the day or have it shipped 'fully insured' on a pallet).

Best regards

Joe

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    First thing in the manual. Do not transport plasma horizontally!

If you do this, you may well end up with a dead plasma.

Follow Joe Fernand's wise words.

StooMonster