1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orca: The Killer Whale R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Anamorphic transfer on the Paramount label. Better than the Dutch R2 copy from Bridge Video. UK R2 copy also available on the Momentum label but has inferior packaging.

Great Morricone soundtrack. Bo Derek gets the Dougie Bader treatment. Will Sampson talks spirtual native american jive. Best watched after a bottle of scotch and a large Kofti Kebab.

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I got the German Kinowelt disc (same master as the new UK R2) about 6 months ago when the price dropped to under a tenner, it's got the crazy illustrated cover with the massive killer whale that's more like Moby Dick that's a lot better than the UK one, which like you say is awful.
    What's the transfer like on the R1? Paramount tend to use high def masters don't they? Is it still grainy? The German disc's a lot better than the Belgian one but you can't escape the graininess to some extent

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I thought the transfer was very good considering. The clasic leg biting scene is very clear and the the brightness and contrast are greatly improved. But there is still grain, it being quite apparrent during the artic sequences. Also there still are still spots and scratches.

But all things considered, this is the best it's gonna get. The cover art you refer to was the original poster art. It shows a HUGE killer whale and a whole boat load of men after it, if I remember rightly. I remember the posters from 1977. I was on holiday on the Isle Of Wight and my folks wouldn't take me to see it. Poster art always impressed me as a child. Seldom the films lived up to the expectations the poster created. The Humanoid being one example.

Here are some screen captures from the Parmaount R1 release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    it looks about the same to me. difficult to say for sure just going by the grabs, but the German disc was a lot better than the Belgian (which was way to dark as you know) and this looks about the same.

Now... where's the optional 5.1 and 2nd disc of extras :rolleyes:

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I wish, like Chigley in DTS. Actaully that could make a good thread. Might do that just to see how many hits it gets :thumbsup:

6. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Great film this the picture is very good considering although theres a bit of dust and scratches, thought that it was going to be 5.1 as i think it listed it on Play but the 2 channel is pretty good all the same!!
    Agree with XUSIA,it's one of my favorite sound track of all time and i could never get hold of a copy so i'm pretty chuffed with this!!!