Question Orbi RBK53 vs BT Whole Home (3 disc)

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rid1, Nov 24, 2018.

?
  1. Netgear Orbi RBK53

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. BT Whole Home

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rid1

rid1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apologies in advance if this has already been posted - I couldn’t find an answer to my specific situation.

I’m currently trying to decide on which mesh Wi-Fi solution to install at home (2 floor/4 bed).

I have narrowed it down to the Netgear Orbi RBK53 and 3 disc BT Whole Home and am leaning towards the Orbi due to dedicated backhaul.

However, as I have the option of installing them using Ethernet backhaul via existing 1200Mbps Powerline adapters, would the BT solution do just as good a job (for half the price)?

Any input and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. nuggies5

nuggies5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the 3 disc BT whole home.
    Fantastic bit of kit.
    We use Vodaphone for our briadband,and the router they supply is terrible on Wireless,always dropping connection,trouble with DNS etc.
    Anyway thought I would try a mesh system .
    Gotta say the wireless we have now is fantastic,no dropouts,faster and we have coverage over 3 floors in our house.

3. Palder

Palder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Are you still using the Vodafone router with WiFi diasabled?

4. nuggies5

nuggies5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I disabled WIFI on the Vodaphone router

5. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    The Netgear Orbi RBK53 will be better as it has a dedicated backhaul wifi channel whilst the BT one doesn't.

6. raz77

raz77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Is the backhaul still needed if you have all your discs connected via Ethernet? I ask as I have 5 Bt discs and want to know if the Netgear is any better. Like I said mine are all linked via Ethernet around the house. I have a 900mb broadband connection. Just want to know would the Netgear do anything better than I have now or do I wait for next round of new WiFi standard kits

7. raz77

raz77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271

I have been happy with the BT kit, only issues I have sometimes is app for checking system saying I am not connected, even though internet is working fine. I have found the connection better with Ethernet over WiFi connection between discs. Can’t fault it for price

8. pyrotenax

pyrotenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I have the Orbi RBK53 … fantastic bit of kit

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,540
    I have to ask, why install a mash when you then use a wired backhaul? Aren't you creating a hub and spoke that way? And thus could use any old WAP. What am I missing?

We use Orbi Pro at work, I use Tenda at home. I know which one I prefer...Tenda gives me five mesh points for less than the cost of one Orby satellite.

10. raz77

raz77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271

I have a 5 bedroom three story old Edwardian property with thick walls. In the past I have had to use multiple WiFi routers to get a signal through the house. Since getting the Bt discs and using them each with a wired backhaul I have perfect WiFi throughout the house. I get far better speeds and good connection with them being wired rather than having each disc connected to each other over WiFi. I use a hard wired connection for the multiple Apple TV 4Ks I have and also have my sons Xbox and PS4 hard wired. I have a 900mbs download and 50mbs upload FTTP connection and all works well. Can’t fault the BT discs for the price. I will upgrade the whole system in around 18 months once WiFi 6 is more mainstream. I have had the Bt disks for around three years and have been faultless.

11. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Some of the so-called "mesh" systems aimed at the SOHO market are including features that used to be the preserve of "managed" enterprise systems such as a single management platform (often an app,) cooperation between the AP's to assist roaming hand off, steering of client between AP's, radio channel planning, common authentication mechanisms, etc. etc. - readers would need to check the spec. of their kit to see exactly what.

This is potentially beneficial whether the backhaul from the AP's to the rest of the (wired) network is achieved over ethernet or radio links and however the physical topology works out.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 9:05 AM
  12. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    This always has been and still is the best way to achieve Wi-Fi coverage. Lot's of AP's close to where one uses the clients with wired backhauls.

When we build large scale systems on big sites, we put up up hundreds of AP's and often have to install loads of additional cabling, switches, power supplies, etc. ('cos there's rarely any cabling in situ where the AP's need to go.) It is sometimes a surprise to clients just how much the extra infrastructure for the backhauls bumps up the costs over and above the cost of the AP's.

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,540
    Agreed, I must admit that I'm very disappointed with the features provided by the Orbi Pro range. It doesn't do any of the kind of things that you mentioned above. I haven't got experience with Ubiquity in the SOHO market to be honest. But I do have with Aruba in the enterprise market (as an example) and that is on a totally different level.

Perhaps what something like Orbi does over the cheaper ones, I must try it, is that when using a wired backhaul it doesn't turn the WiFi mesh into an WAP. That is the only drawback when using something as cheap as Tenda MW3. But then again when you can buy 5 Mesh Points for just £130'ish then you can just add more to your network :)

14. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,540
    Large campus enterprise yes. A home, I don't agree.

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,540
    Naturally when there is no WiFi penetration through the walls then that is the only option :) My point was more about why a Mesh version when one doesn't actually use the Mesh....I hope that clarifies it.