1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orb owners - What subs are you using with your Orbs?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cyberdude, Feb 22, 2005.

1. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting a set of 5 Mod1s (Mod2 for centre duties) from the US :) and was wondering what sub to partner with them. I would have liked the Super 8 by OrbAudio but they don't make a Euro voltage version yet.

It would really help if you could let me know what you're using with your Orbs and your experiences in how the sub integrates with the Orbs before I place my order.

2. ronski99

ronski99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a KEF PSW2500 - works really well with the orbs

3. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry for the late reply on this, I have just been catching up on old posts about Orb Audio. I have been discussing suitable subs with Ethan at Orb Audio today, I wanted to know if the MJA Pro 50 was a good match and what else they would recommend. Here is what he had to say...

"As for subwoofers, that MJA Pro 50 is definitely a good match. We have a lot of UK customers and here is the list of some subs that we've compiled so far that we know work well with our speakers. It is not an exclusive list, so let me know if there are others that you can get easily that you want me to take a look at. Generally, 200mm driver and 100-150 watts is what we are looking for, w/ a crossover that goes up to at least 150-160hz.

Mordaunt-Short 308 or MS309
    KEF PSW2500
    Polk PSW 303
    MJ Acoustics Reference 100
    Monitor Audio Radius R360"

I also asked about UK sppliers and a UK compatible version of the Orb Audio sub...

"we will be expanding our UK operations this year. We are actually re-designing our subwoofer to be multi-voltage and will begin shipping from within the UK by January 1, unless doing so would increase our prices too much, in which case we will continue to ship from here."

The above quote are from an e-mail exchange with Ethan at Orb audio on 22nd March 2005. I suppose his reference to January 1 mean Jaunary 1st 2006.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Judging by the list I would guess that any good subwoofer would be suitable and would suggest that the BK subwoofer at £279 should be fairly high on people's lists

5. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the BK subwoofer? I live in Portugal and have not heard of it. I am considering hopping on an SleazyJet over to the UK and getting my sub from there as prices here are ridiculous.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    BK Electronics are a UK subwoofer manufacturer who's major products tend to end up with other companies badges on the front but they also sell one directly to the public under their own name and at a considerably cheaper price than it would be sold through the retail chain.

Have a look in the subwoofer forum here for many threads about this sub and as they sponsor that forum their ad will appear on the top of the page giving you a clickable link

7. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Take a look here...

http://www.bkelec.com/

8. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    would an SVS sub be overkill with an orb system? And also can a system be unbalanced if the sub is too powerful in comparisopn with the satellites and LCR etc. Thanks for any observations, otherwise I'm tempted to get a BK, but SVS seems tempting except the cheaper models look a little ugly (at least from some posts I've seen on the pb10)? But would the PB12 be too much for the orbs or what about the cylindrical models? THanks for any help.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The system shouldn't be unbalanced by using a more powerful subwoofer as the sub and sats should be balanced with an SPL meter anyway. What it will mean is that the frequencies reproduced will be extended downwards and the whole system will have more scale and authority.

Either the PB-10 or one of the PCi or PC Plus cylindical subs will do you fine and it depends on which shape you prefer the look of and which shape you can easiest accomodate.

10. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ian - thanks for your post. However, I've done some research direct with Orb and SVS and this is what they say : -

ORB = "The XLS200 will be a good match to our speakers. The current SVS subwoofers might not be a good match...most barely play to 100hz and that's not a great match."

When I asked SVS about that they said = "Ours are universally good to 120Hz (we rarely test or graph them above 100hz which is probably what Orb noted but didn’t understand)

Can anyone comment on this please I don't know whether to take a risk on SVS (going for a 25-31 PC or 25-31 PC plus) or stick with BK. Which would be best for music

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Small satellites that don't go very low leaving the rest of the frequency to the sub to handle aren't the best way of listening to music.

People get away with it when watching films as they tend not to be so critical but when listening to music the sub will struggle a bit at the top whilst the response from the satellite is also dropping off and possibly the upper bass will have become directional.

Most audiophiles will suggest that if music listening plays a significant part of your life that you go for speakers that cover a fuller range and use the subwoofer to beef up the lower end.