1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

orb mod 1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by plasmosis, Jan 19, 2005.

1. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone,

Been reading through the many threads trying to decide on speakers which will be used for both music and home cinema. Initially was drawn towards the canton cd1 but discovered a thread about these orb mod 1 speakers.

Not alot of info about these orb mod 1. Found two threads where previous owners have sold them and am wondering if this is a bad sign??

Would be getting them pretty much blind if I decide as have to order them from the states.
    Feed back from anyone who has heard them would be great?

Appreciate any advice. :)

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Plus points for the orbs are the number of rave reviews they receive in the States. They appear good value for money as you purchase direct from the manufacturer.

Against? Well, unless you are prepared to fly to the States to bring them home and then walk through Customs whistling tunelessly and avoiding eye contact with the staff, then you'll be pounded by the shipping, import duty & courier 'handling & processing' fees.

I've not heard them myself, but they sure are pretty although I am confused with the 'upgrade' of simply sticking one mod 1 to another and calling it a mod 2. Without any sort of crossover, I fail to see how this can improve the sound.

Try and audition the CD1's. You may well be tempted by the savings you can make in Germany.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any speakers that aren't manufacturered in the UK will have incurred shipping costs and import duty but if you buy through normal retail outlets it is all included in the price that you pay.

Buying directly from US manufactur can result in huge savings as the many purchasers of SVS subwoofers have found out but unfortuantely I haven't heard the Orb speakers so can't comment about them specifically.

4. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    True, although I was comparing with importing a set of CD1s from Germany which although subject to 16% German VAT and (reasonable) shipping charges are still extremely good value for money.

And no denying the SVS savings. That's next on my 'to be investigated' list! :)

5. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a set of Orbs, import duty is not really an issue, the guys at Orb supply very customs friendly shipping documents, I seem to remember it costing me about £22 in import duty for a set of 5 mod1's !

The Orbs are good speakers for satellites, I ended up selling them as I missed the sound of bigger speakers, for me all satellites sound weak compared to larger speakers. The orbs sounded very good with movies, average with music.

Cheers,

Darren

6. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

db1234,
    Its good to hear first hand that the tax bill wont be too bad. Have you heard the canton cd 1 yourself?? If not which sat system would you say they might be comparable to?
    Btw which sub did you use them with? any recommendation ?

7. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not heard the Cantons, have demo'd the Kef and Gallo sat's before. Would say the Orbs are on a par with them both.

You will definitly need a sub, I had a rocket UFW10 ( imported from the states ) but any decent sub should do -BLK, Rel, B&W, SVS etc.

Another smallish speaker system to consider is the B&W VM1's, just got a pair to use as rears and they sound very good.

Cheers,

Darren

8. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi darren glad youre pleased with the vm1's!!
    plasmosis i had been considering the orbs myself and had been exchanging emails with the guys in the us !!if you have any questions dont hesitate to contact them they normally respond within a couple of hours.
    btw they did recommend two for the center channel they said it would give a fuller sound,they were also doing a 30 day money back guarantee

jason

9. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you ask them nicely they'll send you the conversion kit free of charge when you order the mod1's then you can experiment by using the rears to convert the center to mod2.

This is what I did, can't say I noticed a massive difference going from mod1->mod2 but they did look really cool stacked on top of each other.

10. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got mod2's front L.C.R and mod1's at the back. Very pleased with them. They are full range so mod2's don't need a crossover. Ethan at orb marked them down on the paperwork so customs etc was only £45 for the above.
    You do need a sub....I'm using a BK xls200 for lfe which works very well. I still found the centre a bit thin (don't know if this was the orbs or my processor) so I'm running a Vita50 sub just on the centre aswell via high level and it makes a huge difference.

11. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. keep them coming. They do look amazing stacked. The vm1 do look good as well but I think they are out of my budget. The kef and gallos do get good reviews in the forum so I guess the orbs cant be that bad.

Been in touch with ethan too jason t. Any idea how much it would cost to send them back in the worst case scenario??

ps: thanks for the tip db123 about the free conversion kit. ;) Potential dangerous piece of kit for the budget though as I might like the sound from mod 2 and end up ordering an upgrade!!! :O

12. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi plasmosis

Did you make your decision in the end ?.

13. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zef,

Not in audio heaven yet I'm afraid. Its gonna be either orbs or cd1 but still looking into it.

14. Drew.Ri

Drew.Ri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a similar situation trying to choose between the Orbs and the Canton CD1. Please let us know which one you go with, and if you choose the Orbs, let us know how they sound compared to the Cantons.

The Canton's sounded pretty great in the store, but the cost an extra $400 (American). Not sure they are worth it, but I am wary of buying the Orbs without first getting to listen to them.

Has anyone heard the Orbs and the Canton Cd1's? If so, how would you say they compared?

Or, since the Orb's are said to sound similar to the Gallo A'diva's or micro's, has anyone heard both the Canton's and the Gallo's to offer a comparison of those two (comparing the speakers, not the sub, my understanding in that the Gallo subs are pretty weak)?

Not sure if they sell Mirage where you are at, but the Nanosat's sounded very good as well and have a pretty cool look.