Orb Audio speakers positioning question/advice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by a5ian300zx, Jan 6, 2012.

1. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

I just bought some Orb audio speakers and wanted ask question about positioning them.

The will be Mod2 surrounds and Mod4 centre 5.1 Or I can do Mod2 all around 6.1

Issue: i have 3 young children, and i'm afraid that they might damage or dent the orb speakers as they are quite delicate in the current positions ( the mcubes don't have grill or speaker to damage because of the technology used.

currently - I have 6.1 mission cubes located head height standing up all around the room except for the 6 which is really just on the floor as the wife did not want another bracket in the middle of the Room, the sound really good but wanted a change and centre on the wood rest above chimney.

Q 1) could i have my rear surround speakers higher than my fronts? i want to have them high up on the wall facing down.

Q 2) I wanted my centre speaker on wall bracket above the TV facing down is this a good idea or would it sound bad? (this is so the children cannot touch them :)

Q 3) Should I have all speakers equal height around the room i.e. have them all high up on wall/ceiling facing down?

Q 4) Do you reckon i should go for 6.1 Mod2+ mod4 centre setup with the 6th speaker high up too? or just stick with 5.1 for now?

The two reasons why I wanted to do this is one to hide the speaker cables better and second so the children cannot reach them don't want them damaged as they were expensive) .

what i don't want is for the sound to sound like its always coming from above my head, not sure if this is the case as i have never had them high before.

PS: it's a rented flat so excuse the deco :) but the landlords ok with the speakers.

[​IMG]

rear speaker location
    [​IMG]

Current Centre speaker location (2 mcubes wired together)
    [​IMG]

I want them high and positioned down like the below pic
    http://www.orbaudio.com/images/600marchenviroA.gif

any help and advice would be appreciated.

a5ian300zx

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi!

Q 1) could i have my rear surround speakers higher than my fronts? i want to have them high up on the wall facing down.

Yes, the Orbs are very flexible - you can aim them down towards the listening position - many do this as it is not always possible to have things set up in an ideal manner so many try to achieve the best compromise!

Q 2) I wanted my centre speaker on wall bracket above the TV facing down is this a good idea or would it sound bad? (this is so the children cannot touch them

Agian, should be no problem at all - many do this & choice of speaker above or below the TV is usually not that much of a concern - with the Orbs, you aslo have the benefit if tilting them downwards towards the listening position.

Q 3) Should I have all speakers equal height around the room i.e. have them all high up on wall/ceiling facing down?

Many do this without too much issue with the Orbs but ideally, the LCR should be all at the same level - if not possible at ear level, try to go up as high as you can so out of reach of little fingers but low as possible from ceiling. Again, you can tilt them down towards LP. Many position up much higher & seem to be happy.

Q 4) Do you reckon i should go for 6.1 Mod2+ mod4 centre setup with the 6th speaker high up too? or just stick with 5.1 for now?

At this stage, I would consider MOD2's for LCR & MOD1's for Surround Duties. You can utilise the extra Orbs for "Wide" & "Height" speakers for the newer sound formats. This way you have it all & can always add extra Orbs in future if you then want MOD2 Rears & a MOD4 Centre.

Hope that helps!

Suave!

3. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Suave,

Thanks for the orbs :) and advice above.

When you say "Wide & Height" what do you mean? how do you have your setup configured? I reply from you in a post that you have mod2 LR and Mod4 C and at rear you were running 6 orbs is this correct and if so are running 7.1 setup?

a5ian300zx

4. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi,

The newer sound formats like Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo:X & Dolby Pro-Logic allow for extra surround effects channels by adding L&R Wide & Height Speakers in addition to the regular surround speakers. It allows (apparently for a much more expansive & effective surround sound experience.

As the Orbs are light & easy to integrate, I thought you might want to consider this option but it is not necessary. I was planning on a MOD2 L&R & MOD4 Centre as I had extra Orbs & still may but may now just run all MOD-2's for the LCR. I think for your room, they would be more than good enough!

Like you, there is no point in having "Back Surrounds" as your seat is right up against a wall so am planning to run L&R standard rears, Wides & Heights in addition to a MOD2 LCR for a 9.2 set up.

The thing is, when you have all the wiring in place, experiment & see what you prefer best & change things accordingly - ie a Mod2 or Mod 1 for rears, A Mod4 or Mod 2 for centre etc - you have that option & flexibility!

Suave!

5. Drew6486

Drew6486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear a5ian300zx,

I couldn't help but notice your cramped AV equipment space. Is that your receiver (the large silver thing towards the left hand corner in the 'Front speaker positions' picture)? you're asking for equipment damage/a shorter lifespan as it doesn't matter even if you live in the north pole, amplifiers release massive amounts of heat. and most of the time those heat release vents are up top, which i can see is covered by another piece of equipment. i HIGHLY recommend you re-arrange this setup.

6. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice but the was the only position that the kids could not touch it, I hardly use it just to watch movies maybe 1 or 2 times a week, I prefer to use TV speakers for watching TV as the pioneer speakers are very good.

can't think of any where else to put it, as its rented flat do cant do any diy to get rid of those nasty brown panels :) as it will cost me too much.

A5ian300zx

7. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

I have finally installed the speakers in a 5.1 setup for now and will do 7.1 later with two mod1 for 6th and 7th.

Mod4 - Centre
    Mod2 - for the Rest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have not had chance to test them yet as Amp is gone in for repairs - Drew4686 should have listened to you :) - common sense but the Thompson Sky HD boxes much hotter then the other HD boxes have ordered a rack now :)

a5ian300zx

8. bodas73

bodas73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi a5ian300zx

I have been looking at these Orbs for a few days now with one mind to pick these speakers, was wondering what the sound quality was like from them do they do a good job filling your room

9. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    hi Bodas73,

i have not tested them yet as i was waiting for my new sub which has arrived so give me few days to install ad tune and i will get back to you, but i have tested my nephews orbs whonhas mich smaller room but same setup as mine but with 7.1 like i mentioned above and they do sound great he has denon 3808 and bk xls200 sub which can do with swapping out for more powerful sub. the sound is very detailed as in you can hear more finer details in the background, but give few days and i will mine with number of audio demos i have from stereo to flac music and from ac3 to hd audio inc pcm.

thanks

10. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

I have finally setup my system and after receiving my sub and all I can say it sounds great very detailed sonic sound with the sub blending is perfectly not too boomy.

I had a demo of the B&W M1 5.1 setup in Superfi and all i can say that the Orbs sounded way better it felt like someone had their hands in front of the M1's compared to the Orbs even at default settings.

a5ian300zx

11. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

just a quick update, I have added another two single orbs to the back on my setup bringing it up to 7.1 setup now.

they sound really good and bridges the gap from the rear speakers.

will try take some pics.

thanks

12. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    here is a pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

13. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi,

Awesome matey!! Very, very happy for you indeed - it must sound just freaking brilliant! When can I come round to hear the babies I sold you in action then?!!

Have you thought about adding the Wides & Heights for the Audyssey DSX/Dolby Pro Logic Iiz/DTS Neo:X formats? You gone this far so why not go the whole hog?!!

Congrats!

Suave!