Orange Unlimited Data Tariff (30Mb = Unlimited)

wombar

Established Member
Reaction score
Erm, don't know if any of you were planning on signing up for the Orange data tariff, but you may wish to think twice going by this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/04/orange_caps_at_30mb/

That's utterly pathetic, I thought the VF deal was poor (£7.50/month = 120Mb) but 30Mb on an "Unlimited Package" can't be right. It's gotta be a mistake surely??

Yeah it sucks big-time! I can only believe they've used the word 'unlimited' to try and sucker a few people in... :thumbsdow
I'll shortly be on T-Mobile's web 'n' walk where they have more realistic data packages.:smashin:

Let's face it, the word 'unlimited' has been stretched many times in recent years with the advent of broadband, yet ofcom seem unwilling to do anything about it.

How, ANY defintion of the word 'unlimited' can mean as few as 15 graphics rich web pages, is beyond me.

It's sad and pythetic actually that they can sell this 30MB for £8. I'm currently on T-Mobile and am very happy with Web 'n' walk as i get 1GB usage for a reasonable price of £7.50. I use around 350MB of data per month and if i were on Orange, even with there 'unlimited' offer i would be paying £968! (inc. out of bundle data, thats if my usage wasn't capped at £1.50 or whatever a day on top of my bundle) What kind of money would other people on t-mobile web 'n' walk be charged if they changed to orange?

Orange's evening and weekend browsing for £5 though seems supremely better value in comparison and i would buy this package instead of the £8 'anytime' 30MB if i were with orange.

Sam

Well, I'm waiting for the HTC Kaiser to come out and I'll probably be moving to T-Mobile with WnW. At the moment I'm not sure that I need unlimited data, but it would be nice to just turn it on when I need it and not worry about exceeding my quote for the month/day.

I've been with Orange for 10 years. Feel really let down.
They were cutting edge once. Best plans, coverage, etc..
I think I may have to go to T-Mobile now. I don't want to leave Orange but I seem to have no choice. I want to get a HTC PDA and use push email. I need to know what it's costing me.

I have a friend who is already on T-Mobile and while they tell me they normally use around 250Mb per month, last month they borrowed a UMPC and did a bit of browsing with Bluetooth and racked up 890Mb!!

This of course cost them £7.50. If I had done this on my current Orange plan (PAYG data) I would have had a bill for around £2000........

I am completely lost for words as to how stupid this is.
Here is a company run by idiots.

You are not going to recoup the 4 billion quid you paid for the 3G licences by making the data so expensive that no one uses it. Why can't they see that?

Oh god, I despair.....

Andrew

I can understand where Vodafone are coming from with their data packages because overall, their strategy seems to be to aim at business customers who will pay virtually anything as long as it works when it should. They don't want to offer an Unlimited package that clogs up their network for the corporate customers.

I might be completely wrong, but Orange always came across as being aimed primarily at the consumer and therefore offered excellent deals with the trade off that their network wasn't quite as good in terms of coverage. But I'd love to know how they came up with the magic 30Mb number(I'm thinking a big ass tombola in the board room).

I just wish that big ass tombola had of landed at the *jackpot*, 1GB, rather than 'loser', 30MB.

I am kind of lucky, i am on the really old gprs tarriff (the first one they introduced). I pay £4 per month and it is totally unlimited. I have that in writing too.

Are you sure these are not just old pages that haven't been removed?

Show me a link on the Orange website that points to them.

I can hardly find anything at all on the site about data pricing.
The only page I can find has the £5 for evening and weekends but no £8 option.

I am stuck in the same dilemma but with a bigger issue i need teh datta for a location where 3, T-Mobile and O2 dont cover and Vodafone is more expensive again i may have to stick to evenings only but that can be a pain.

I am stuck in the same dilemma but with a bigger issue i need teh datta for a location where 3, T-Mobile and O2 dont cover and Vodafone is more expensive again i may have to stick to evenings only but that can be a pain.

I think you are referring to this, nut orange do do an unlimited data tariff for evening AND weekends for £5. Your only other option would probably be vodafone where you get 120MB anytime data for £7.50. Which do you prefer then??

Sam

is the evening and weekend available on PAYG? is that £5 a week or a month? Vodafone do have coverage according to their map but i dont know how strong it is

EDIT just seen this http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/simoffer?WT.mc_id=ConFreShFre_0415 doesnt seem to bad not sure about the £20 a month tho as i wont be using it for calls but that works out the same as £5 a week for internet (well slightly less as most months are longer than 28 days

Why don't you get some free sim cards and test out the signal strength in your area? I'm planning to move to T-Mobile over the next few months and got a free sim card to check I get signal in my house etc.

It really depends how much data you need per month/day. Vodafone give you 15Mb/day for £1/day but after that it's £2/mb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom