• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Orange to offer subsidised iPad ?

daveuk

Standard Member
According to various articles, Orange are to offer subsidised iPad's on an 18-month - 24 month contract.

Suggestions of £200 for the entry 16GB 3G version.

Could spark an iPad price war. Was going to get one before Christmas, but don't know whether to wait and see what happens now.

Orange to subsidise iPad | News | PC Pro

SNUK10

Banned
Cool,

Will make it an option instead of the iPhone.

I only use my iPhone 4 for surfing outside the home and would welcome an iPad instead.

Lets hope its available by the time the iPad 2 is out.

I'm surprised no one else has commented. This news is much bigger than the poxy 4.2 OS release announcement.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Once everyone has finished syncing and updating to 4.2, I am sure they will comment, well those that frequent these boards that don't already have an iPad will anyway.

I would imagine that this would happen covering the original iPad when the second is released to shift units, and would be surprised to see it happen before then.

Bobbler

Banned
I would be surprised if there is a price war as such. All the operators having the IPhone 4 (and when the 3g/3gs went no longer an O2 exclusive) netted consumers the grand total of approximately zero.
You don't have to discount a product that you can shift anyway and Apple are well known for their lack of discount and control over retail prices.

MrO

Just had an email from orange with the prices.

16GB - £199
32GB - £249
64GB - £349

Paying £25 a month for 24 months! So for the cheapest one you'd be paying £800 in total...for a 16GB iPad!

The sub is WAY more than I thought it would be tbh :thumbsdow

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Just had an email from orange with the prices.

16GB - £199
32GB - £249
64GB - £349

Paying £25 a month for 24 months! So for the cheapest one you'd be paying £800 in total...for a 16GB iPad!

The sub is WAY more than I thought it would be tbh :thumbsdow

if you substract the £429 cost of an ipad, you're essentially paying £15.46 per month for 10GB/month and unlimited BT openzone which is not bad IMO

Orange iPad 3G | Orange shop

SNUK10

Banned
A complete joke of a price especially given the 24 month contract.

Contract should be around £15 per month.

This looks like one of those crap laptop offers (buy a laptop at a reduced price but pay £35 per month for 24 months etc) which in the end is just disgusing the expensive nature of the deal.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
A complete joke of a price especially given the 24 month contract.

Contract should be around £15 per month.

This looks like one of those crap laptop offers (buy a laptop at a reduced price but pay £35 per month for 24 months etc) which in the end is just disgusing the expensive nature of the deal.

there is an Orange £15/month contract that instead is capped at 3GB a month

EDIT: but obviously, the subsidised prices are higher on a cheaper contract

Last edited:

MrO

If you really can’t afford to pay out for an iPad in one hit it’s not to bad but there are some BIG down sides to buying with orange:

1. If you buy direct with apple for £529 (16GB WiFi + 3G) and then take out an o2 iPad sim only deal for £10 a month it will only cost you £769 over the same 24 month period.

2. If you go with o2's rolling contract you'd be able to stop the payments whenever you like and be able to see the iPad and upgrade to the latest one when it’s released.

I’m not overly fussed on having the latest gadget model off the production line so would have taken up Orange’s offer but I would only be willing to pay £15 a month MAX!

highpriest

if you substract the £429 cost of an ipad, you're essentially paying £15.46 per month for 10GB/month and unlimited BT openzone which is not bad IMO

Orange iPad 3G | Orange shop

But it's not 10 GB per month. It's 1 GB "anytime data" and 1 GB "quiet time data". Unlimited BT Openzone WiFi is subject to 3GB fair usage. £25 for existing customers and £27 for new customers over 24 months. I mean, seriously?

https://interest.orange.co.uk/default.aspx

Cheers
HighPriest

dc8900

Distinguished Member

dc8900

Distinguished Member
But the plan that comes with the subsidised iPad isnt the one you are referring to i.e the 10gb one. It is a 1gb plan for £25 as the previous poster mentioned.

In effect the iPad isnt really subsidised but its upfront cost is hidden in the higher monthly charge.

:blush: ah my apologies then! :thumbsup:

I must not seen that link :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom