Orange say NO to 12 month contracts

minibeest

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Bit of bad news anyone on Orange - as many of you may or may not know, from the end of May, a new EU law brought into play by Ofcom will force UK carriers to offer 12-month contracts. Hurrah! :thumbsup:

BUT Orange UK won't be. I contacted their upgrade department to discuss this and Orange have said they will not be doing a 12 month contract. I stated the fact that Ofcom where making this option available by law. The sale guy went off to speak to his boss and came back and said they sadly won't be.

So, for me, I'll be cancelling my contract very soon and moving over to Vodafone. Very disappointing

Yes but surley if they was to offer a 12 month contract the price per month and the price of the handset would more than likely be very high. With phones getting more and more advanced and with that more expensive the days of free phones on 12 (or even 18 month) month deals must be nearing the end?

The price for high end smart phone on a 12 month contract would too high to make it viable.

If an 18 month contract was £35 a month, on 12 month it would be over £50 !

OFCOM said they should offer 12 months, but the cost of the handset still has to be covered (they're not really 'free' you know!)...

Pretty sure the thread title is wrong because I've seen adverts on bus stops everywhere offering the iPhone 3GS on 12 month contracts with Orange. Does the European ruling require operators to offer 12 month contracts on every handset or just on some?

Pretty sure the thread title is wrong because I've seen adverts on bus stops everywhere offering the iPhone 3GS on 12 month contracts with Orange. Does the European ruling require operators to offer 12 month contracts on every handset or just on some?

I think they just have to offer a 12 month deal.

They could offer say an HTC Desire HD for 12 months at £100 a month if they wanted to. The regs don't state what price they have to do them at, just that they should offer them...

There are plenty of 12-month contracts on Orange's own website :)

ooops - the Orange shop -> Click on Find a plan and then 12 month plans.

Moral of the story, Orange are a bunch of lying inept toads who would tell you the sun is green if it meant they could shaft you for some more cash.

Chances are the staff you spoke to havent a clue about this as their not interested in the latest mobile news unlike us geeks on here! :D They will only find out when the memo gets passed round 2 minutes before they put the 12 months contracts on for sale.

Ive asked in a couple of mobile shops and the staf havent a clue, they think your making it up haha

Orange are just a bunch of useless twonks IMO - the only person from Orange I have a vague respect for was the chap in the Orange Shop who was as amazed as me that their CS wouldn't send me out an iPhone microsim without adding an extra £10 iPhone tariff onto my monthly bill.

Everytime I have to speak to their CS call centre I mentally prepare myself to get wound up and normally end up swearing loudly to myself after the call as I've rarely got any sort of resolution - the staff (apart from being half the world away in India) don't have a clue and to make matters worse, are obviously reading from a crib sheet as they ask the most stupid 'friendly' questions about the footie or the weather to try to appear chummy.

If I hadn't stupidly signed up to another 18 month contract with them back in January, or if I had the money to pay off my contract, I'd be leaving them like the proverbial rat leaving the ship!

Spookily, that link I posted no longer seems to be available :eek:

To be fair to Orange, they used to be very good and pioneered many of things we take for granted now like per second billing and inclusive minutes. When Hans Snook was running the show, it was genuinely innovative.

The rot set in for good once France Telecom bought Orange and saddled it with stupid animal tariffs and cumbersome handsets full of bloated branding.

Orange are just a bunch of useless twonks IMO - the only person from Orange I have a vague respect for was the chap in the Orange Shop who was as amazed as me that their CS wouldn't send me out an iPhone microsim without adding an extra £10 iPhone tariff onto my monthly bill.

Everytime I have to speak to their CS call centre I mentally prepare myself to get wound up and normally end up swearing loudly to myself after the call as I've rarely got any sort of resolution - the staff (apart from being half the world away in India) don't have a clue and to make matters worse, are obviously reading from a crib sheet as they ask the most stupid 'friendly' questions about the footie or the weather to try to appear chummy.

If I hadn't stupidly signed up to another 18 month contract with them back in January, or if I had the money to pay off my contract, I'd be leaving them like the proverbial rat leaving the ship!

And it's only going to get worse.
After the T-mobile merger (when they said it wouldn't mean job loses!), they're now shedding staff at a rate of knots and all of that work is being 'outsourced'.
Even key depts are being closed down totally and the jobs moved off shore. . .

Network retail staff and customer service staff literally find out about new tariffs and handsets a day tops, before they go live, there's VERY LITTLE idle time with these changes so whoever you spoke to was most likely chatting **** and likewise his boss, I find it infuriating when colleagues tell customers over the phone the new iphone will definitely be worse that 4 or definitely better, smaller, longer etc

Absolute blag tactics.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom