Question Orange light staying on - Pana. GZ950

pantages

I have had a Panasonic TX-65GZ950B for three days and I am delighted with it. However, when I first switched it off from the remote control it went into Panel Maintenance mode indicated by the orange light on the front of the tv. The user guide states that it can take up to 80 minutes to complete the task. The next morning the orange light was still on but changed to green when I switched the tv on with the remote. I checked the picture settings and the info told me that the maintenance had completed. However, the orange light remains on when the set is in standby. I looked for help in the eHelp but couldn't find the answer as to why the orange light had not changed to red. The user is not very helpful and I am not sure what I should do, or even if this is how the light should behave? Would setting the tv to shipping mode sort things out? Any advice will be appreciated.

Samv2001

Distinguished Member
The below post will help I think. It shows what might be keeping the light on orange.

Assuming it’s a new TV then you will only be running the shorter maintenance cycle that runs after every 4 hours of use and you put the TV in standby automatically. It only lasts a few minutes and assuming nothing else is configured to keep the LED orange the LED should go red after a few minutes.

The longer cycle you mention only runs after 1000 hours and is preceded by an on screen prompt and last for the period you mention.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Every time the tv is on for more than 4hrs when switching off it goes into a short panel cleaning mode (orange light). When it reaches 1000hrs it does a major cleaning cycle (still orange light) this takes 80 mins.

If tv is on for less than 4hrs at a time it won't do short cleaning cycle but wait till 1000hr mark.

I have had a 65 GZ950 for about 5 weeks now and it has done about 650hrs, each time it has done the shorter cleaning cycle the standby light has gone to red till the tv is switched back on.

I would contact panny and ask for advice.

pantages

The below post will help I think. It shows what might be keeping the light on orange.

Assuming it’s a new TV then you will only be running the shorter maintenance cycle that runs after every 4 hours of use and you put the TV in standby automatically. It only lasts a few minutes and assuming nothing else is configured to keep the LED orange the LED should go red after a few minutes.

The longer cycle you mention only runs after 1000 hours and is preceded by an on screen prompt and last for the period you mention.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I understand what you say and how the maintenance works but my issue is simply that the orange light doesn't turn red when the process is completed. I will try contacting Panasonic although their website is stating that there could be long delays because of the COVID-19 situation!

Samv2001

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice and the link. I understand what you say and how the maintenance works but my issue is simply that the orange light doesn't turn red when the process is completed. I will try contacting Panasonic although their website is stating that there could be long delays because of the COVID-19 situation!
Did you look through the link I posted and verified that none of the legitimate reasons the orange light will stay on and it will not go red are set?

pantages

Yes, I just did that, thanks. Are you saying that those settings should be OFF or is it simply that if I select one of them as a preference, then the orange light will remain ON? Sorry if I sound dumb, this is not something I do every day and I am generally tech-savvy! lol I agree with someone who suggests that when the maintenance is in progress, the orange light should flash so the user knows what is causing it to be on.

Samv2001

Distinguished Member
Yes, I just did that, thanks. Are you saying that those settings should be OFF or is it simply that if I select one of them as a preference, then the orange light will remain ON? Sorry if I sound dumb, this is not something I do every day and I am generally tech-savvy! lol I agree with someone who suggests that when the maintenance is in progress, the orange light should flash so the user knows what is causing it to be on.
No worries. Yeah so if any of those criteria are met the LED light will remain orange. The running of the short cycle is just one of the Actions that make the LED stay orange (if only for a short time while its running). Assuming nothing else is set that will also cause it to be orange then the LED will go red when it finishes. If something else is set then it will remain orange (for completely valid reasons) If one of those settings is active.

if you don’t specifically use them, set them to off and you should get the red light after the cycle finishes. If you do need one of them then you could disable it temporarily just to confirm the light goes red, then enable it again once happy it’s working

pantages

Thank you again, it all makes sense now. If only the user manual explained this! Later, I will do as you suggest and will post back later today. Stay safe!

pantages

I checked all those options and they were as you said. I have decided that some of them I can use but now I know why the orange light will stay on, so I am relieved that there is no fault with the tv. It''s been an interesting exercise! This tv is superb and using it with my 5.1 system makes for perfect viewing. My LG B6 was excellent but this one beats it!

Thanks for listening!

Samv2001

Distinguished Member
I checked all those options and they were as you said. I have decided that some of them I can use but now I know why the orange light will stay on, so I am relieved that there is no fault with the tv. It''s been an interesting exercise! This tv is superb and using it with my 5.1 system makes for perfect viewing. My LG B6 was excellent but this one beats it!

Thanks for listening!
Enjoy!! It’s a very very nice TV.

mikej

I agree with someone who suggests that when the maintenance is in progress, the orange light should flash so the user knows what is causing it to be on.

I might have suggested that a while back - if not, then it's definitely something I thought would be very useful and almost certainly fairly easy for Panasonic to implement in a firmware update.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom