Orange DGN1000 Possible Interferance Issue

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
Hi,

I think I might have an interferance problem with my new Netgear DGN1000 router from Orange, but I need some help to determine if interferance is the issue and how to fix it if possible.

To start, a bit of background. I received the DGN1000 router to replace my original Livebox (3+ years old) which was giving me only about 2.5Mb download due to the new equipment in the local exchange.

I setup it up and everything was fine on the surface and I was downloading at about 14Mb, however every now and then it would drop off to practically nothing (dialup speed), it usually happens within 5 minutes of downloading something (I have been using Steam mainly to test the speed, but have tried other large files from other websites).

Looking on this website I used inSSIDer which I have pasted a screenshot of below:

Wireless001.jpg

My SSID is HAL9000, and SKY41954 looks like it might be an issue. I have tried changing the channel that my router broadcasts on, for example I have set it to 11 and 1, but both of these also include another range (in the screenshot it shows 11 + 7).

So my questions are:
1. Is this interferance?
2. Does SKY41954 look like it could be causing this issue?
3. If so how can I try and sort this issue?
4. How can I tell my router to use channel 11, 1 etc. but none of the adjacent channels? The dropdown in the router wizard only shows single channels, but it seems to add the others automatically.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought it best to fully describe the issue! :)

Thanks very much,

Alex

themediaman

I cant see the screen shot unfortunately, what channel is the SKY router broadcasting on............?

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
The sky router is broadcasting on channel 6.

I have also attached the screenshot to this post so you can see it.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Wireless001.jpg
    Wireless001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 320

themediaman

There is a lot of networks there, I would try channel 1, as there is only 1 other fairly weak signal broadcasting on that channel......

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
I tried channel 1 and I didn't notice any difference.

The problem is that whatever channel I change to, the route will add another channel so the 'width' of my signal is very large. e.g. In the screenshot it is set to 11, but uses 11 + 7. I believe when set to channel 1 it also uses channel 5.

Thanks,

themediaman

Might be worth exploring the settings a bit more, my limited experience finds its unusual for 2 channels to be used, or the need for it.......strange.....

try them all....................maybe a factory reset or firmware upgrade could help also............

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
IThe problem is that whatever channel I change to, the route will add another channel so the 'width' of my signal is very large.
That is because you have "channel bonding" set. (It looks like the Virgin router is doing the same.) It is usually used to give you more bandwidth but in your case seems to be causing a problem.

WiFi channels overlap and so with both of you trying to grab two channels each you are simply using up the available spectrum.

BTW, it really helps if you say what the downstream devices are but I am guessing that you are using 802.11n WiFi. If so, do the devices support the 802.11n 5 GHz. spectrum?

Last edited:

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for the input. All the devices that are connected aren't 802.11n, only b/g as far as I know. However my new laptop thats on order will have an 'n' card in it, but to be honest, b/g is fine for me as the router is only used for a wireless access point to the internet, no home networking.

I've also heard that changing the router to use a lower speed (rather than 150Mbps) might make it use a 'narrower' set of bands.

Thanks,

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
Thanks for all the info so far. I have turned off the channel bonding, but I don't think it has changed much.

I'm still getting good speed for most of the time, but then at random points in the day the speed I get drops dramatically from ~14Mbps to ~3Mbps, but when it drops, connection to webpages takes ages or times out. This happens on both wireless and wired connection to the router.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it be a faulty router?

Thanks

themediaman

Thanks for all the info so far. I have turned off the channel bonding, but I don't think it has changed much.

I'm still getting good speed for most of the time, but then at random points in the day the speed I get drops dramatically from ~14Mbps to ~3Mbps, but when it drops, connection to webpages takes ages or times out. This happens on both wireless and wired connection to the router.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it be a faulty router?

Thanks

How often does this happen.........

This can actually happen to me and I am a 20Mb cable connection ,so no exchange distances etc...........I believe the speed is capped in order to cope with high usage (peak) times.............this could be an explanation, but maybe not............as you said you get the same thing happening on both the wired and wireless fronts it looks more likely to be the ISPs doing.......

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
I thought it might be due to the peak times aswell, in fact Orange also said that. I also noticed it the other day, when downloading through Steam I was getting 1.7MB/s, then it dropped to 1.0MB/s and stayed steady, thats fair enough.

However this issue effected my wife yesterday in the middle of the day and all she was doing was surfing the web and trying to log onto her university portal site.

When she thought there might be a problem, she used speedtest.net to run a test and she only got about 3Mbps and (if you know speedtest) the graph was very jagged, usually it is smooth.

To be honest I don't know what to do now as Orange can't see a problem their end, the BT enginners have tested all the lines and exchange equipment twice and no problem there. I'm also less than a mile from the exchange.

Thanks

themediaman

3Mb is sufficient for web browsing, it may just be the quality being provided, especially through a phone line, each one is different and can come with its own set of unique issues............

And unless you can get cable in, they issues might never leave, regardless of ISP.........

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
I used to get a consistant ~8mbps with my old LiveBox for over 3 years, then they changed the equipment in the exchange and it fell to ~2mbps.

Eventually Orange sent me this Netgear DGN1000 router and that got the speed upto 14mbps, but with all the issues I have mentioned in this thread.

I know 3mbps SHOULD be sufficient for web browsing, but obviously that isn't the only issue otherwise there would be no problem. Seems like this router is a duff one, I have googled it and there seems to be a fair few people who have similar issues with it with no solution given by anyone, and heres me thinking NETGEAR were a good company!

themediaman

On the whole I think netgear are good, could you get hold of another router to test........? Could orange provide you with a replacement.....?

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
I've actually just called Orange and asked them to send me a new LiveBox mini. They said they want me to send the DGN1000 back so I'll do that once I have made sure that the LiveBox mini works fine, touch wood!!!

themediaman

I've actually just called Orange and asked them to send me a new LiveBox mini. They said they want me to send the DGN1000 back so I'll do that once I have made sure that the LiveBox mini works fine, touch wood!!!

Any news with the livebox................?

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
3Mb is sufficient for web browsing, it may just be the quality being provided, especially through a phone line, each one is different and can come with its own set of unique issues............

And unless you can get cable in, they issues might never leave, regardless of ISP.........
Can't agree at all. DSL is designed to work on copper pairs and takes account of its characteristics.

If a DSL service is not working correctly, one needs to be persistent with the ISP - not just put up with it.

XELANAMYT

Standard Member
These are my connections values. Are they good? I've tried to search on the web for what are 'good' values, but no real luck:

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 17115 Kbps 1071 Kbps
Line Attenuation 29.2 dB 12.9 dB
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 7.0 dB

p.s. I got the new livebox last Monday... gave up with it within a few hours! Kept dropping connection to my PC, speeds never broke about 8 or 9Mbps etc etc!

themediaman

These are my connections values. Are they good? I've tried to search on the web for what are 'good' values, but no real luck:

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 17115 Kbps 1071 Kbps
Line Attenuation 29.2 dB 12.9 dB
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 7.0 dB

p.s. I got the new livebox last Monday... gave up with it within a few hours! Kept dropping connection to my PC, speeds never broke about 8 or 9Mbps etc etc!

Everything seems reasonable.............can you get an engineer out to take a look at the line...........

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution