1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optomo H56 Project not projecting color (of H50?)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Frapster, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Frapster

Frapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have either an Optoma H50 or H56 projector and it's not projecting in color. I've checked all the color settings and even changed them around some and regardless of what I do I cannot effect change. I've checked my satellite settings and my other pieces of hardware (surroudn sound et al) and nothing I do seems to correct the problem. Anyone have any suggestions for an AV newb?

Thanks,

Rob

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Initial reaction is that you've got an issue with whatever source you've connected to the projector - probably a problem with the leads, or the setting on the source. Please tell us:

Is the projector new ?

Have you had it operating normally (i.e displaying a colour image) ?

What have you got connected to it ?

What kind of lead are you using (composite, Svideo, component video ?)

Have you tried using a different lead (of which ever type) ?

If you're using (for instance) Svideo, try using composite video - what's the result ?

If you're using SVideo or component video, make sure that your source (presumably a dvd player) is set to output the appropriate signal (you should find the setting in the menus on the dvd player, check your users manual). If the dvd player is set to output composite video and you connect it up using component video leads, then you'd probably end up with a black and white image....

If you're using component video, make sure that the leads are connected to the correct sockets and that they're properly plugged into the projector and the dvd player.

Come back when you've checked out that little lot and tell us more..... BTW, Welcome to the forums.....

Sean G.

3. Frapster

Frapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's about 1 year to 1.5 years old.

yes, up until about a week ago. The system was working fine and now it's just displaying in b/w and really it actually looks kind of 'reddish'.

I have a DVD, Digital Satellite, VCR all of which feed into a 'receiver' (Integra model) that handles feeding the various devices into the projector. It also handles the surround sound.

For the DVD and satellite it's using an Svideo lead. For the VCR it's using three cables (red yellow and white). I assume that's component video but I'm not certain. They are 'RCA' jacks if that term is correct.

No - but all three devices are displaying the same monochrome issue and use their own cables as well as go in to different ports on the back of the Integra.

I'll go back and check but I'm pretty confident they are all using the appropriate settings. I've checked them all but will double-check.

Thanks so much! I'm in a desperate way here - I'm visiting my sister's family in their big fancy house and of course this thing broke on my watch. lol

4. Frapster

Frapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD and satellite are definitely cabled for SVideo and the system is stating that they are using SVideo when it starts up and in the settings. The VCR showed to be using composite.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the answers so far. Can you check how the Integra is connected to the projector....... It sounds to me as though it's probably Svideo, although it could be converting svideo to component, or could be feeding a scaler. I'm not familiar with that receiver, are you USA based, by any chance ? A quick Google suggests that this is not "middle of the road" kit..... the integra is the high-end of Onkyo.... What's the model number ? if it's the DTR 5.4, it can upsample composite video to Svideo, if it's the DTR 6.4 up to the 8.4 model then it upsamples all it's video inputs to 480i component video.
    It could be an older model - I'm not really famiiar with the brand.

Is the Integra connected directly to the projector or is there any other equipment in the signal chain between the Integra and the projector ? You say that the image is BW but a bit "reddish" - that doesn't sound right to me but without seeing it I couldn't make anything of it. (For the VCR the Yellow Red and White are Composite video, and Audio Right and Left, BTW, not component)

If the Integra is connected directly to the projector using Svideo or Component video (three leads, Red Green and Blue) then I'd check the manual for the Integra and make sure that it's set to upsample the video signal correctly, then check that the connections between the Integra and the projector are OK, possible try a different lead (although this is probably not practical if they are located at some distance from each other).

One thing that would tell you if the projector has a problem would be to get your hands on a very long lead with RCA connectors (quality doesn't matter here, you just want any type of interconnect with RCAs at each end) and connect the composit video connector (single Yellow RCA socket) on the dvdplayer directly to the composite video input (same type fo Yellow socket) on the projector and see if you get the projector to display a colour picture (make sure to set the dvdplayer (temporarily) to output Composite video, and set the projector input (likewise temporarily) to Composite video. If you get a colour image, then you know that the projector is not in trouble, and that the problem is elsewhere in the signal chain.

The more I think about this, the more reluctant I am to advise you to delve into this too much. The more complicated the chain the more difficult it is to troubleshoot and given that this is not your own equipment I'm reluctant to start advising you to disconnect various things etc. on the basis that you mightn't know how to re-connect them again appropriately if various troubleshooting directions didn't bear fruit. So the usual tech warning applies, particularly to the bit about rigging up a temporary feed between the dvdplayer and the projector: If you think you're going to f :censored: this up, don't do it.

My advice is to shut it down and either shut up :eek: or own up :blush: when your sister returns (I'm assuming they're away ?? If they're home, just tell them something is wrong, if they already know then tell them that the system is too complicated for a mere mortal to understand any of the 9 trillion (choose whatever you think is an appropriate number) things that might be causing it..... If this is a system was installed by someone for them, then they should be able to get someone to sort it out.... if your sister or someone close to her is the enthusiast, then they'd be better off sorting it out themselves and probably wouldn't appreciate coming home to you sitting in a spaghetti of wires etc one way or the other.

It would be satisfying to give a simple "do this" answer....... afraid that isn't on the menu tonight.

Come back and tell me what you think.

Sean G.