Optoma UHZ65UST Owners

Any recommended settings?
I think your brightness and contract are too high. Brightness may be washing out the picture and the contrast won't be helping to recover that.

I have brightness at -7 and contrast at +7, admittedly on a white wall at the moment. This was set with the help of the AVCHD disc downloadable from the internet. I have more light in my lounge than I can see from your photos so I need to drop the side blinds for daytime viewing. That makes the picture perfectly watchable but not stunning.

I think your brightness and contract are too high. Brightness may be washing out the picture and the contrast won't be helping to recover that.

I have brightness at -7 and contrast at +7, admittedly on a white wall at the moment. This was set with the help of the AVCHD disc downloadable from the internet. I have more light in my lounge than I can see from your photos so I need to drop the side blinds for daytime viewing. That makes the picture perfectly watchable but not stunning.

thanks for the advice,I’ll have to fiddle around with it more to get the best possible picture.
Smart app wouldn’t work with my screen either so it’s a pain to set it up.keep getting calibration failed

I recommend getting a copy of the AVCHD download. Burn it to a DVD and it includes some really useful test patterns for setting up. The first post > here < has the download links.

Last edited:
Hi guys,got my floor rising 120” screen yesterday and I have to say I’m really disappointed with day time viewing.
I bought this to replace my 75” Sony but it’s unwatchable in day time.
I do have a lot of ambient lighting in the room but I thought the screen would eradicate that.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Also with sky q I keep getting little sound drop outs

thanks

is that an ALR screen? If not, I think you’re gonna have to get blackout curtains to help out a bit.
If you’re using the built in speakers then make sure your Sky Q box is outputting stereo not Dolby surround.

is that an ALR screen? If not, I think you’re gonna have to get blackout curtains to help out a bit.
If you’re using the built in speakers then make sure your Sky Q box is outputting stereo not Dolby surround.

ya using vivdstorm floor rising 120”alr screen.
I’m using Sony ht-z9f sound bar with rear speakers.sound dropping out is a real pain in the ass.i have sky q 2tb box and PS4 pro connected to soundbar which is connected to projector through arc

ya using vivdstorm floor rising 120”alr screen.
I’m using Sony ht-z9f sound bar with rear speakers.sound dropping out is a real pain in the ass.i have sky q 2tb box and PS4 pro connected to soundbar which is connected to projector through arc

Try putting the sky box in stereo just to see if you still get the sound drops. Also go into the projector HDMI settings and make sure the HDMI port you’re using is set to 2.0.

Try putting the sky box in stereo just to see if you still get the sound drops. Also go into the projector HDMI settings and make sure the HDMI port you’re using is set to 2.0.

tried changing it to stereo last night but same issue.all hdmi are set to 2.0 aswell.i have sound set to bitstream,is that right?
What is pcm?
Thanks

tried changing it to stereo last night but same issue.all hdmi are set to 2.0 aswell.i have sound set to bitstream,is that right?
What is pcm?
Thanks
Bitstream should be OK as the Optoma will decode Dolby Digital. Try setting it to PCM which is where the Sky box does the decoding and just sends the raw data, to see if that makes any difference.

Any recommended settings?
Your brightness is way too high which washes out the picture. I calibrated my PJ and brightness is set to -8 on cinema mode and -6 on reference, so you should be good to go in that range. Try feeding the projector a black picture/clip and lower brightness till you don‘t see a change on screen anymore. Then black level should be correct. The before mentioned AVCHD clips help a lot and can be fed using USB.

Try starting with:
Brightness: -6
Contrast: 9
Color: 0
Tint: 20
Gamma: 2.2

Last edited:
As promised here are a couple of shots just taken of SDR content (within 20 seconds of each other so no difference in lighting in the room etc)

This one is using Cinema Mode with the power output on 100%:

trFbk0q.jpg

And this one is using the new calibrated User Mode:

lloyzgb.jpg

I think the difference speaks for itself

As promised here are a couple of shots just taken of SDR content (within 20 seconds of each other so no difference in lighting in the room etc)

trFbk0q.jpg

lloyzgb.jpg

Nice end results, are you using an ALR screen and is it the one by Optoma ?

looks amazing ... i am on the verge of buying this ... or does anyone know if anything better is being released anytime soon?

can someone please recommend a screen to pair this with - light is not an issue so can go with a non ALR screen

Last edited:
Companies usually release products towards the end of the year, so I think its safe to say that whats on the market at the moment will be around without any word of replacements until October/November 2020 at best

Nice end results, are you using an ALR screen and is it the one by Optoma ?

Thanks, yes still buzzing at the difference in the before and after. Yes I am using the PET Crystal ALR screen from XY Screens. I would advise anyone getting this PJ to invest in an ALR screen as it will help in so many ways.

looks amazing ... i am on the verge of buying this ... or does anyone know if anything better is being released anytime soon?

can someone please recommend a screen to pair this with - light is not an issue so can go with a non ALR screen

I think you'll find that the Optoma is one of the best UST projectors around especially for the price. I bought the Optoma ALR101 screen with mine. If you buy both the projector and screen at the same time then the store may do you a deal. They probably will at Richer Sounds.

I think you'll find that the Optoma is one of the best UST projectors around especially for the price. I bought the Optoma ALR101 screen with mine. If you buy both the projector and screen at the same time then the store may do you a deal. They probably will at Richer Sounds.
[/Q

Ok- but you are loosing out on 20inches?

Well it all depends on the space you have available. Not everyone has room for 120” screen. I bought that one as I thought 100” was enough and it was made for their projector. I think at the time I also couldn’t find an ALR screen that would ship within the UK. Most were sent from abroad And I didn’t want the hassle. They don’t come cheap unfortunately. 😢

Thanks again- Can you please post some pictures of your setup

trFbk0q.jpg

lloyzgb.jpg

Looks so much better! Were the ISF settings not explored so that you could having a preset for daytime and nighttime?

Last edited:
Thanks, yes still buzzing at the difference in the before and after. Yes I am using the PET Crystal ALR screen from XY Screens. I would advise anyone getting this PJ to invest in an ALR screen as it will help in so many ways.

Very interesting. Any possibility of sending another 2 pics of the same scene at night time with room lights switched-on and in total darkness ?

Thanks again- Can you please post some pictures of your setup

If you look through this thread, you'll see I've posted a few photos already. I have mine set up in my bedroom at the moment but I'm planning on moving it downstairs to the cinema room once this virus business is over and I can get someone over to help me move the screen.

Has anyone found a setting that turns off the projector immediately with a single click on the remote or PJ power button? I'm trying to configure my Harmony 900 remote to power it off after use and it always sticks at the screen showing the two options shutdown or audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom