Optoma UHZ65 Projector Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, May 22, 2018.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,061
    2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,471
      Nice to see a review of another laser PJ, thanks :)
      Is it using dynamic laser dimming to hit this kind of contrast? Or is this a native contrast measure?
      Does it ever do the laser "fade to black" trick that the Epson and others manage?

3. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +209
      HI Phil, nice review as usual, however there is one question, according to most other reviews and details it uses a 4 segment colour wheel (RGBY) rather than a RGBRGB colour wheel, so would you say that that this is more the reason it looks better than a lamp based DLP, or is it better just because of the laser? (Either way I think 2019 will be when 4K DLP comes of age as manufactures will then have real world experience to develop on)

Bill

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,061
      That's native.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,061
      I think it's the better wavelengths from the laser that help along with the colour wheel. The side effect is a little more rainbow if your susceptible to this. Also, thanks for reminding me it uses the RGBY wheel, I forgot to mention that, now added to the review.

6. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +838
      Thanks Phil another very good read

I am quite keen on the idea of laser and hope we see some more affordable alternatives announced soon

On alternative choices the JVC5900 seems a real problem for this optoma as it is £4000 or probably less

And with a recent price drop the Epson 9300 is about half the price of the optoma and that buys a lot of bulbs at £100 a pop

7. VistaDream

VistaDream
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Typical, I bought this PJ 24 hours ago and then this review comes out!

Glad I did, pretty well reviewed here and in other places.

$3450 from Audio General (via projectorcentral price request facility) delivered by FedEx to my US hotel room. Very good price but low stock levels at most suppliers until mid June

8. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,471
      @Phil Hinton; on the subject of wavelengths from the laser; I did ask the question in the previous Sony laser PJ review but it didn't see an answer. Are you profiling your Klein to these new laser light sources using a reference spectro now? I recall a debate a long time ago when AVF got the 2x Kleins vs a thought from the floor that for ultimate accuracy 1x Klein + 1x reference spectro would be a better combination. From what I understand the laser light source without a spectro profile to matrix the colorimeter with can be an issue for the accuracy of measurements.

It is a subject I'm particularly interested in. As a calibration enthusiast, the prospect of having to have access to a reference spectro of 5nm or better (at a cost of >£5K for a Jeti or similar) in order to create the colorimeter matrix profile is a slight downside to laser technology. A bit like buying a car you can't work on if you are a spanner head of conviction.

I've been in touch with a couple of travelling calibrators in the past about just using their services for meter profiling and they're open for it, but I'm interested to know what your attitude is towards the subject.

I could imagine as more exotic light sources and display techs come along this will be more and more important for measurement accuracy. Jeti had an article which specifically covers spectro requirements for laser sources (http://www.jeti.com/cms/images/jeti_com/down/application_notes/an_27.pdf), though they focus more on the analysis of RGB laser source rather than B+Phosphor wheel. Seeing as in many B+Phosphor wheel I believe blue comes more or less direct from the laser the same probably applies at least for the blue channel.

9. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,495
      Great review, as per.

A question I've asked before, but never seen answered (to the best of my fallible memory). It's regularly said that DLP can't reproduce detail just above black.

Why? Can the mirrors not switch fast enough to go that low?

One more thing, I can't understand why you haven't commented more on motion handling.

It is DLP's one big advantage over LCD-based technologies. I moved from DLP to SXRD and plasma to OLED, and whilst I love the new technologies, the one thing which would have made me return in the right circumstances was poorer motion handling.

I remember for some, with projectors, some found it as much as an issue as RBE. Ditto in the days of LCD vs plasma.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    10. VistaDream

VistaDream
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      So installing this very projector right now and just discovered, foolishly I should have known, it needs to be installed upside down to work in my setup as do all DLPs. Not obvious in their brochure or any reviews I’ve read.

I have a purpose built alcove above head height where it was supposed to be placed but that just projects images onto the ceiling! Mount purchased.

On a more positive note, my in-ceiling 135” Elite Screen installation is going to plan. Will post pictures in Hone Cinema showcases in due course. Also no RBE effect for me, motion handling is superb and the picture quality is breathtaking in my darkish cinema room.

11. MDesigns

MDesigns
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Really? That "on/off figure of 7,785:1" has to be with dynamic black on so it is not native.

I believe UHZ65 has native contrast off about 1000:1, DB1(Dynamic black dimming mode 1) is 4x multiplier so contrast about 4000:1 and DB2 is 8x with contrast about 8000:1. With DB3 the laser can completely shut down.

12. VistaDream

VistaDream
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Watched The Greatest Showman last night on UHD using this projector and it looked absolutely stunning. 135” motorised VMax2 Elite Screen, Monitor Audio Silver 300 series 5.1.4 setup, using Denon X4300H AV.

Better than anything I’ve experienced at a cinema and all in the comfort of my own home! Money well spent.