1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma UHD65 4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
    2. Nobbler

Nobbler

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,978
    3. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      Better late than never, now all we need is a review of the cheaper UHD60, (£2499) and UHD 550 (£1999) to see if the UHD65 is worth the extra, or whether it will be better waiting for the upcoming UHZ Laser Phosphor version, which if the predictions are correct should come in at about £5000.

One thing I am surprised about though is that you say the Epson looks similar in resolution to the JVC, DLP and Native Sony, whereas all other reviews, plus I and my friend’s observations, the Epson falls well short in clarity even at a distance. (To be fair Epson does only claim 1920 x 1080 resolution compared to the DLP and JVC which claim 3840 x 2160 resolution)

Keep up the good work

Bill

4. John_w100

John_w100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      Any Input lag readings ?

5. True Romance

True Romance
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,822
      Where did they find that remote, bottom of the bargain bucket?

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
      No sorry, I couldn't get the Bodnar lag to work with it for some strange reason. Only seems to be an issue with DLPs.

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
      All the recent 4K models have had cheap plastic remotes, probably to try and keep the price down further.

8. soupdragon

soupdragon
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,142
      One thing confused me @Phil Hinton was early in the passage you mention not much difference between Optoma/Epson/JVC at normal viewing distances and then towards the end:

Plus the JVC and Epson machines are three chip models with some alignment issues creating a softer look at times, but the Optoma is a single chip unit and as such the images are incredibly sharp and detailed in comparison

Just wanted to understand what you're overall sharpness opinion is? A particular interest of mine is 4k football and if there is a decent sharpness benefit from the Optoma, it makes a strong case for itself. But if its not that noticeable, then maybe the Optoma wouldn't be a great choice then. What's your opinion on overall sharpness when fed 4k content?

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
      OK, when I say not a great deal of difference I am referring to resolution and noticing if it is that different from a native 4K projector. We've done the testing here in the past versus the Epson, JVC and a Sony, the same would be true of the Optoma. In terms of resolution there is no massive noticeable difference from a normal viewing position. In terms of sharpness, there are noticeable differences between the Optoma and the three chip machines, where the UHD65 is very sharp looking compared to the softer look of the JVC, Epson and Sony projectors. Some prefer the softer look as it is more cinematic, and the Optoma can look a little 'digital' in comparison. I hope that clears up what I was describing. If you want sharp images and good motion for football, in a normal room, then the Optoma is a good choice to add to the demo list.

10. soupdragon

soupdragon
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,142
      Makes sense now, thanks for that.

11. AVDavid

AVDavid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      I think it is worth pointing out that the JVC and Epson projectors take the 4K image and downscale to HD before doing any pixel shifting whereas the Optoma uses the 4K image to put 8.3M pixels on screen

12. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +776
      There is the dedicated thread for this projector where the whole native versus pixel shifting has been done to death. The optoma does not do native 4K does it as the post above suggests. It pixel shifts but from a higher starting point of pixels than the Epson and jvc machines.

13. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      While both Epson and JVC use HD panels I believe only the Epson downscales to HD, as the JVC processes the full 4K image like the DLP does. (At least that’s the way I read it, hence Epson only claim 1920 x 1080 whereas JVC and DLP claim 3840 x 2160, and is probably the reason why the Epson (Even at a decent viewing distance) looks way short of 4K compared to the JVC and DLP)

Bill

14. AVDavid

AVDavid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      Sorry I forgot it's the duty of every forum member to read all the forum post's that has ever mean made!

15. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +776
      the pixel shifting debate was dull and done to death on the optoma thread so why start it again?

you mean you haven't read every post on the forum? I thought that was mandatory.

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,578
      I'm pretty sure the Epsons do a similar job to the JVCs - if you send 1080 and let the pj do the scaling, it's softer than if you send it the same movie as UHD.

JVCs claims are just marketing, same as Epsons '4K enhancement'. Same but different..

Having done split screen with both the Epson 9300 and JVC X7000, there is very little difference in it. Close up, the biggest difference I saw (not including contrast) was panel alignment which isn't visible when viewed from 2x xcreen height (of a zoomed 2.4 screen, which was equivalent of 1.5xSH).

The DLPs look sharper because they use more pixels and are single chip. They even look sharper than the 4K Sony's, even though they fall short of being able to display full UHD resolution. As Phil said, there's a difference between resolution and sharpness.