Question Optoma UHD60 Light Border

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AdamRiley, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AdamRiley

AdamRiley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

So I just got the uhd60 through and after setting it up I've noticed there is a border of light that goes around the image regardless of what setting it is on. I know some other projectors have this but in all the reviews I've read it hasn't been mentioned. I've also seen some youtube videos that don't seem to have it but I could be wrong.

Anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    I think it is pretty much a given with the DLP units I've seen and is down to the makeup of the DLP chip itself. There is what is called a "pond" of inactive mirrors around the active ones.
    You can read about it / see some diagrams in the TI DLP chip PDF manual:
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dlp660te.pdf
    (not sure if that is the right one for your PJ, but they all have it, some bigger than others).
    Shouldn't be an issue if you project onto a screen with any sort of contrasting border, but will be annoying straight onto the wall in certain scenes I guess...

3. AdamRiley

AdamRiley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info, I'm projecting onto the wall at the moment as I'm not sure what size I'll be going for but hopefully a screen with a border will hide it as you say

4. RTA

RTA
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, I've not noticed a light border on my uhd550x which is similar to the uhd60. I've read all the new .47 inch chip projectors do have a light border (uhd40, 51, 300x).