Optoma UHD550X/ UHD60/ UHD65 Owners Thread

Mine connects about 60% quicker then that [emoji6]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

But seriously, it took ages before I got my 4k amp and was connecting directly to my amp , with the new amp it’s a lot quicker 15 , 20 seconds
What make was the old and new amp? I think Marantz / Denons tend to have more handshaking issues than others.

What make was the old and new amp? I think Marantz / Denons tend to have more handshaking issues than others.

Old amp was onkyo 808 , the projector was not connected as it was not a 4k amp

New amp is onkyo 676 , I had trouble with sky connected directly to the projector , no problems since getting a new amp

Well that sounds bizarre, I do think these things struggle when being pushed especially with longer cable runs. Can't seem to work out what makes things better or worse. With mine both the Marantz 7010 and the Denon 4300 don't seem to help with handshaking. I had an Arcam AVR550 in between and that was much better. I think it's maybe still early days with 4k@60 and HDR and there's still bugs and issues, but when working correctly results are great.

hi all

considering one of these to replace a JVC HD350 which i have been completely happy with for the past few years. anyone made that jump and compare the non 4K performance of both(source material i mean)

Anyone got an Xbox One S and the HDR enabled game "World of tanks"
It's causing my 550X to throw a wobbly, picture keeps cutting out every 5 secs

Anyone got an Xbox One S and the HDR enabled game "World of tanks"
It's causing my 550X to throw a wobbly, picture keeps cutting out every 5 secs

Could be your cable not able to handle the extra data , I have found this problem with gotg2 as it as a really high bit rate and it loses signal lock every few mins

Are you running in 4k hdr and I guess 30 Plus FPS ?

I've had problems with my Epson 9300 dropping the signal when watching UHD films recently and i found it was due to the TV being connected to the amp as well. If i unplug the TV it runs the film no issues, if its connected to the amp it will drop the image and sound at random intervals.

At first i thought it was cable related but proved that out by connecting the UB700 direct to PJ, no issues.

Could be your cable not able to handle the extra data , I have found this problem with gotg2 as it as a really high bit rate and it loses signal lock every few mins

Are you running in 4k hdr and I guess 30 Plus FPS ?
See link for HDMI cable below

PREMIUM HDMI Cable v2.0 0.5M/1M/1.5M/2M-10M High Speed 4K UltraHD 2160p 3D Lead | eBay

Xbox shows that the PJ is compatible with all modes inc HDR
Doesn't matter what mode I used on the PJ, I get the same issue

Not sure what your mean by 30 Plus FPS, don't think the Xbox has a setting to force

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
See link for HDMI cable below

PREMIUM HDMI Cable v2.0 0.5M/1M/1.5M/2M-10M High Speed 4K UltraHD 2160p 3D Lead | eBay

Xbox shows that the PJ is compatible with all modes inc HDR
Doesn't matter what mode I used on the PJ, I get the same issue

Not sure what your mean by 30 Plus FPS, don't think the Xbox has a setting to force

Guessing the frames per second is the game runs at more frames = more data

It might pass all the tests but still not get a strong enough signal to the projector over a long run that’s why it drops out

Mines in for a firmware update and I’m seeing if it helps before ordering a ruipro fibre cable at £200

But gotg2 is the only real problem disk I have the others I might get 1 drop out per film and that’s annoying enouth but it is a 15m run

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Toddy, do you know anyone else on a 15m cable running UDH discs? Surely you dont have to buy a £200 cable just to watch films?

Someone else must be using 4K player and panel on 15m? Have you tried using the inline HDMI signal boost thing that Optoma advertise?

£200 is a lot for a cable, what happens when 8K comes out?

Toddy, do you know anyone else on a 15m cable running UDH discs? Surely you dont have to buy a £200 cable just to watch films?

Someone else must be using 4K player and panel on 15m? Have you tried using the inline HDMI signal boost thing that Optoma advertise?

There is a good thread on AVS where someone has tested a lot of 15m cables.
The only ones that could do everything was the Monoprice slim run optical and the Ruipro hybrid optical.

There is a good thread on AVS where someone has tested a lot of 15m cables.
The only ones that could do everything was the Monoprice slim run optical and the Ruipro hybrid optical.
Thanks i will have a look for that.

HDMI needs to go as a standard, this constant issue is not right having to buy new cables everytime a new standard is released.

Thanks i will have a look for that.

HDMI needs to go as a standard, this constant issue is not right having to buy new cables everytime a new standard is released.
HDMI, HDCP and EDID are an absolute nightmare. Unfortunately with HDMI 2.1 round the corner it looks like we will have to live with it for a while longer.

I’m running a redmere active amped cable so it’s the best you can get before fibre and it’s ok most of the time , if I get more issues I will go for the ruipro fibre cable as I’m happy to pay £200 for years of a solid connection

I paid £150 15 years ago for a 10m qed cable that lasted me till this year when I moved and needed longer and high 4k bandwidth cable

It’s only on uhd so could be the Samsung player , and no problems on Apple TV 4k and sky q and they will be my main source of content

Any updates on firmware updates yet, particularly interested in the 24hz 3:2 pulldown issue being fixed? I read that Ti made a 48hz instead of 120hz mode available to make 24hz 2:2 instead of 3:2, but it was up to manufacturers to engineer this into their own products. You can easily see the issue on 24hz material being fed in at native 24hz on things like slow pans and rolling credits etc. 50hz is defiantly fixed and ok, but 24hz still an issue on C07.1, just wondering if C07.2 or later fixes it. Would also be interested in @toddy28 experience of RTB for fw update.

Any updates on firmware updates yet, particularly interested in the 24hz 3:2 pulldown issue being fixed? I read that Ti made a 48hz instead of 120hz mode available to make 24hz 2:2 instead of 3:2, but it was up to manufacturers to engineer this into their own products. You can easily see the issue on 24hz material being fed in at native 24hz on things like slow pans and rolling credits etc. 50hz is defiantly fixed and ok, but 24hz still an issue on C07.1, just wondering if C07.2 or later fixes it. Would also be interested in @toddy28 experience of RTB for fw update.

It gets picked up on Monday so it will be interesting to see how it goes , I really hate sending it back incase something happens in transit

I have asked for the information on what the current firmware fixes but , it like it’s classified

Top secret need to know only [emoji16]

So is that free pickup and return? If we don;t know what it will fix, then I'm not sure I'd bother sending it off to be honest, seems a lot of risk for no guaranteed fix. Seems a weird way to support your customers.

My UHD65 came with C08 FW and it looked way better with 24Hz than my 550X I returned with C05 FW. So, I am guessing it is fixed with later FW. Will be hard to say for sure, though the difference was very noticeable.

Thanks, is that smooth with any extra motion processing / frame interpopulation turned off so is like the 550x/60 in effect?

My UHD65 came with C08 FW and it looked way better with 24Hz than my 550X I returned with C05 FW. So, I am guessing it is fixed with later FW. Will be hard to say for sure, though the difference was very noticeable.

I’m on 5 so hopefully it will get 8 or newer

I’m sending it in for the 50hz as a lot of my 4k content is sky q and it’s all at 50hz

I’m happy enough with the motion but as I’m going to keep this one for a few years I might as well get an update

I got optoma to pick up the projector at there cost because 50hz is standard in the uk and should have full support out of the box [emoji403]

Thanks, is that smooth with any extra motion processing / frame interpopulation turned off so is like the 550x/60 in effect?

Yeah, that was with FI turned off.

Definitely!!!!

I just wish these did 3D, there seems to be no further news on possible 3D updates or if it will ever happen. Watched GOG2 in 3D on my old Optoma HD33 last night and really enjoyed it.

I really don't like the idea of having to keep 2 projectors up on the ceiling and not even sure I could actually align them to miss each other if I was to go down that route. The black levels on these seem to be getting some stick. With a full Devore Batcave is the HD65 the one...

Last edited:
Yup if you have a good room the UHD65, there are also Acer equivalents, but not sure how they fair, I read some had more features for same money...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom