Optoma UHD51 Professional calibration.

Stupot43

Hi everyone,

I have an Optoma UHD51 projector and I would like to get it professionally calibrated.

Has anyone on the forum had this done?
How much did it cost?
Was it worth it?
Has anyone got any recommendations for people who do this?

I live in the West Midlands and it would be great if there was anyone in this area, or nearby, who does calibration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stupot43

Thanks to everyone who didn't contribute.

I am now in the process of booking Dr Julian Scott from Display Calibration to come and calibrate my projector and TV.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Hi, just seen this thread. I have had a go at calibrating mine myself but have struggled with some aspects as it’s pretty bloody complicated (or maybe I’m just thick as sh*t). Let me know how you get on as I was thinking of using the same chap.
Cheers.

Stupot43

Hi, just seen this thread. I have had a go at calibrating mine myself but have struggled with some aspects as it’s pretty bloody complicated (or maybe I’m just thick as sh*t). Let me know how you get on as I was thinking of using the same chap.
Cheers.
OK. From what I've read about him, he's supposed to be very good. I've had a go myself just using the THX calibrating disc, and its ok for a 'do it yourself' calibration, but to get the best out of the PJ and TV the only way is have it done by a pro. At the moment it will be the end of July/ beginning of August when he 'll be coming. I'll post again once he's been.

DaddyR

OK. From what I've read about him, he's supposed to be very good. I've had a go myself just using the THX calibrating disc, and its ok for a 'do it yourself' calibration, but to get the best out of the PJ and TV the only way is have it done by a pro. At the moment it will be the end of July/ beginning of August when he 'll be coming. I'll post again once he's been.
How did you get on?

Stupot43

How did you get on?
Hi DaddyR,

Sorry I didn't post, it went completely out of my head.

Yeah, Julian came about 9:30am and stayed until about 7:30-7:45, so you do get a full day from him.
It was very educational, Julian certainly knows his stuff, and I'm glad I had it done. Colours now are more realistic, although Julian did have a problem with the red on the TV, and he spent nearly two hours just on that colour to try and get it correct, but in the end we had to compromise. I think the greatest improvement was on the projector though. I couldn't get it to something that I was ever happy with, but now It has been calibrated it's very good, but one thing Julian does like when he is doing the calibration is a totally dark room. So if you do have him, make sure your room is as dark as possible. If ever I have a new projector at any time, I shall certainly have Julian back.

For the two calibrations, TV & projector the cost was £370. This might sound a lot, but you are paying for the years of experience that comes with Julian and you know that he will do his utmost to get the job done correctly.

I forgot to mention that Julian leaves you all the measurement results and settings for both TV and projector just in case you mess the setting up and he does day & night viewing settings.

Last edited:

DaddyR

Hi DaddyR,

Sorry I didn't post, it went completely out of my head.

Yeah, Julian came about 9:30am and stayed until about 7:30-7:45, so you do get a full day from him.
It was very educational, Julian certainly knows his stuff, and I'm glad I had it done. Colours now are more realistic, although Julian did have a problem with the red on the TV, and he spent nearly two hours just on that colour to try and get it correct, but in the end we had to compromise. I think the greatest improvement was on the projector though. I couldn't get it to something that I was ever happy with, but now It has been calibrated it's very good, but one thing Julian does like when he is doing the calibration is a totally dark room. So if you do have him, make sure your room is as dark as possible. If ever I have a new projector at any time, I shall certainly have Julian back.

For the two calibrations, TV & projector the cost was £370. This might sound a lot, but you are paying for the years of experience that comes with Julian and you know that he will do his utmost to get the job done correctly.

I forgot to mention that Julian leaves you all the measurement results and settings for both TV and projector just in case you mess the setting up and he does day & night viewing settings.
That sounds brilliant. I'll look into this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom