Question Optoma UHD51 "Humming" Noise - alternatives?

MyronAub

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just ceiling-mounted a new Optoma UHD51 that arrived a few days ago and frustratingly there's a very pronounced constant "mains hum" type noise; I assume this is faulty rather than something you are expected to live with?

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a very different noise to the Brightness/Eco lamp fan that I'm happy with and the "mains hum" is there regardless of whether anything is connected to the HDMI inputs or not and regardless of whether the Test Pattern is on or off.

It's a shame as I was impressed with the picture quality over my old Sony VPL-HW55ES but the noise is far too distracting so it will have to be returned. I have a dedicated (blacked out) cinema room with a 137" screen, do I take a chance a replacement UHD51 won't have the same problem noise or are there alternative projectors I should be looking at? I wouldn't mind doubling my budget to £2500 for something decidedly better but can't justify £4,000+ for a Sony 4K...

Last edited:
This may be the colour wheel spinning that you're hearing.

Thanks but no, the colour wheel is very distinct and much more high pitched; you can hear the colour wheel whirr up when the input changes.

This is a constant loud mains hum whether or not there's any input or if you change input. For anyone familiar with the Audyssey Setup tones and how loud they are when calibrating the speakers, this mains hum noise can still be heard above the Audyssey tones!

I concluded it can only be faulty so the UHD51 is going back for a refund. To replace it I ordered a Optoma UHZ65 which arrived this morning so I'll be trying that out shortly. :)

Hi MyronAub, I have a UHD51 that makes a terrible noise. Wanted to hear if you managed to get a better projector with less noice? How is the Optoma UHZ65?
Thanks but no, the colour wheel is very distinct and much more high pitched; you can hear the colour wheel whirr up when the input changes.

This is a constant loud mains hum whether or not there's any input or if you change input. For anyone familiar with the Audyssey Setup tones and how loud they are when calibrating the speakers, this mains hum noise can still be heard above the Audyssey tones!

I concluded it can only be faulty so the UHD51 is going back for a refund. To replace it I ordered a Optoma UHZ65 which arrived this morning so I'll be trying that out shortly. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom