Question Optoma uhd40 vs 300x

magneticblue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying my first ever projector. After using some of the distance calculators on manufacturers websites it looks like I have narrowed the choice down to just optoma for the screen size that I want and the distance that I can place the projector. Given my budget and the fact that I want 4k (I know these projectors aren't native 4k but I'm OK with that as I don't have the kind of money needed to go native) I have narrowed it down to two choices. I have found the 300x for a smidgen under £1000 and the 40 for around £1250. Looking at the spec sheets the only difference I can see is the contrast ratio (250000:1 for the 300x and 500000:1 for the 40). I will only be using the projector for movies in the living room with the curtains closed and lights off and more often than not in the evenings.

Is there anything else that is different about the two projectors and is the 40 really going to be worth a 25% increase in price over the 300?

I would prefer to spend just the £1000 but know that if there is a big difference then I will only end up kicking myself for not paying the extra a few months down the line.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've had the 300x for over a week now. I had a Benq 1070+ before that and it's a big upgrade to that. I have a motorized 120" screen in a typical white livingroom. I've been very impressed with the pq so far on Sky q, Netflix and you tube. 4k 60hz hdr demos on you tube look especially nice. In my last House I had a dedicated bat cave with black carpeted walls and ceiling. I had a Mitsubishi Hc5000, Sharp xzv-20000, JVC x30 and finally a Sony HW40..... So know what its like to have a great set up with good projectors and excellent black level.

With all that in mind, this projector is superb and the 4k is excellent. Not tested Blu-ray 4k discs or normal Blu-ray as all my discs have been retired to the top of my wardrobe.

I would say save the money and get the 300x, once you've set it up you'll quickly forget the uhd40 even exists.

It was for sale across a lot of the main sellers for £999 but went up £200 overnight in several shops. I was fortunate that Richer Sounds honoured their previous price.

If it helps, Costco are doing it for £950 with a five year warranty. I don't think you'll get any better than that at the moment!

Thank you for your reply,

I think I will get the 300x but will wait and see if there are any good offers on either of them on amazon on prime day. I doubt there will be but I'd only end up kicking myself by buying a couple of days earlier rather than waiting.

...well its £799 in the Prime Day sale!!!!.

I've just jumped on that - I'm going from a Benq W1070 so I'm hoping I can see a decent difference when I feed my Xbox One X through it with a UHD :)

I've been looking online for recommended settings, but so far, no dice.. Have you been able to source anything?

Na mate, not a lot of info on it. You'll find an improvement generally. 4K especially is good. Try some 4k you tube demos, theyre excellent

I've just jumped on that - I'm going from a Benq W1070 so I'm hoping I can see a decent difference when I feed my Xbox One X through it with a UHD :)

I've been looking online for recommended settings, but so far, no dice.. Have you been able to source anything?
I've a w1070 currently and missed out on getting one of these. Bargain.
Looking forward to your feedback on it. Have an X to so interested in gaming lag when using hdr etc.

Cheers

So I just bought this in the Amazon sale. First ever projector and I love it. However I have had to put it on a desk instead of ceiling mount as I can't for the life of me work out where to screw in the bolts to the ceiling mount. Can anyone help at all. Thanks guys.

So I just bought this in the Amazon sale. First ever projector and I love it. However I have had to put it on a desk instead of ceiling mount as I can't for the life of me work out where to screw in the bolts to the ceiling mount. Can anyone help at all. Thanks guys.

On my wall mount I had to drill some extra holes into the metal mounting plate. There are three bolt holes in a triangle shape more or less in the centre of the bottom of the projector. It’s great once it’s all positioned properly. Xbox Xloiks great and the uhd’s look fabulous. Just need some settings to try out now...

why not put it on a high up shelf instead, turn the projector upside down and apply some door stopper size feet with stick pads for makeshift feet, that'll help with vertical alignment, pic attached of mine with feet attached to top

Attachments

• 20180719_200423.jpg
    20180719_200423.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
I've just bought this on the Amazon 'Deal of the Day' at £800. Set it up yesterday and once I'd used the THX Optimiser (Terminator 2 blu-ray) to make sure that the colour, tint, contrast and brightness were OK (colour & tint were almost smack on - contrast and brightness were way out) Played Hacksaw Ridge 4K and the picture was excellent. For £800 its a bargain.

Thanks, guys a month in now with the projector and I love it. Its ceiling mounted and its still up there :) Is there somewhere I can find online to make sure I am getting the most out of the projector as with uhd the results can be mixed sometimes amazing other times missing the mark, I assume it is due to my set up and I am currently changing settings on a daily basis depending on what I am viewing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Also, I take it the projector doesn't offer 3D? Can't find anything to say it does but just checking.

I've pulled the trigger. Arrives tomorrow to replace a much loved benq w1070.
Fingers crossed for 4k improvements

How are people finding this projector for picture quality now a few months down the line? Available again on Prime deal of the day for £799

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079RBF...&ascsubtag=e7338c064bb5ad80345f9c3f609a6468_S

I took the plunge last time this was on offer at £799. For that price it's a bargain, so I'm pleased I purchased it. You do have to spend a bit of time to set it up. I used the THX optimiser that you find on some discs. It was definitely a step up from the Optoma 1080p projector that I was using before. The only draw back with it is that it isn't 3D, but considering that TV manufacturers aren't making 3D capable TV's any more, I can see the format dying out eventually for home use.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I thought as much. I really still enjoy 3D and have a collection of 3D blu's so don't want to discard it completely and doing so only helps to kill the format.

Really tempted by this but will hold out for something that offers both 4K and 3D.

I took the plunge last time this was on offer at £799. For that price it's a bargain, so I'm pleased I purchased it. You do have to spend a bit of time to set it up. I used the THX optimiser that you find on some discs. It was definitely a step up from the Optoma 1080p projector that I was using before. The only draw back with it is that it isn't 3D, but considering that TV manufacturers aren't making 3D capable TV's any more, I can see the format dying out eventually for home use.

can you post your settings please. I know everyone's is different but will be a good reference points for us noobs

I bought my one back in June and its a fantastic projector and produces a great 4k image for best results run some youtube 4k footage as it looks so impressive.
Movie wise the best Ive watched quality wise has been Lucy and Marvel Avengers Assembled.
Currently running my movies through a custom built 4k pc.

Great projector.

Cheers Darko

I bought my one back in June and its a fantastic projector and produces a great 4k image for best results run some youtube 4k footage as it looks so impressive.
Movie wise the best Ive watched quality wise has been Lucy and Marvel Avengers Assembled.
Currently running my movies through a custom built 4k pc.

Great projector.

Cheers Darko
sounds good, can you share your settings also please

Yeah no problems but keep in mind I have a lamp on as the kids get scared lol

Yeah no problems but keep in mind I have a lamp on as the kids get scared lol
mines not in a bat cave either there is ambient light, its in a lounge
its just arrived (i'm at work) so an evening of testing to follow
xbox one x
ps4 pro
amazon prime
netflix
youtube 4k etc

Wishing I'd bought one to try out now, hahahaha

Wishing I'd bought one to try out now, hahahaha
I'm going from a benq w1070 with darbee darblet for sharpened image so I'm a little concerned I won't notice any improvements. The picture on the w1070 looks amazing to me already at 125 inches from 3.3m. Just hoping that 4k is noticeably better. If not it will go back

I'll update tomorrow after the testing session

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom