Question Optoma uhd40 vs 300x

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by magneticblue, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. magneticblue

magneticblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying my first ever projector. After using some of the distance calculators on manufacturers websites it looks like I have narrowed the choice down to just optoma for the screen size that I want and the distance that I can place the projector. Given my budget and the fact that I want 4k (I know these projectors aren't native 4k but I'm OK with that as I don't have the kind of money needed to go native) I have narrowed it down to two choices. I have found the 300x for a smidgen under £1000 and the 40 for around £1250. Looking at the spec sheets the only difference I can see is the contrast ratio (250000:1 for the 300x and 500000:1 for the 40). I will only be using the projector for movies in the living room with the curtains closed and lights off and more often than not in the evenings.

Is there anything else that is different about the two projectors and is the 40 really going to be worth a 25% increase in price over the 300?

I would prefer to spend just the £1000 but know that if there is a big difference then I will only end up kicking myself for not paying the extra a few months down the line.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I've had the 300x for over a week now. I had a Benq 1070+ before that and it's a big upgrade to that. I have a motorized 120" screen in a typical white livingroom. I've been very impressed with the pq so far on Sky q, Netflix and you tube. 4k 60hz hdr demos on you tube look especially nice. In my last House I had a dedicated bat cave with black carpeted walls and ceiling. I had a Mitsubishi Hc5000, Sharp xzv-20000, JVC x30 and finally a Sony HW40..... So know what its like to have a great set up with good projectors and excellent black level.

With all that in mind, this projector is superb and the 4k is excellent. Not tested Blu-ray 4k discs or normal Blu-ray as all my discs have been retired to the top of my wardrobe.

I would say save the money and get the 300x, once you've set it up you'll quickly forget the uhd40 even exists.

It was for sale across a lot of the main sellers for £999 but went up £200 overnight in several shops. I was fortunate that Richer Sounds honoured their previous price.

If it helps, Costco are doing it for £950 with a five year warranty. I don't think you'll get any better than that at the moment!

3. magneticblue

magneticblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply,

I think I will get the 300x but will wait and see if there are any good offers on either of them on amazon on prime day. I doubt there will be but I'd only end up kicking myself by buying a couple of days earlier rather than waiting.

4. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yeah fair enough, but dont forget the value of a 5 year or 6 year warranty also

5. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    ...well its £799 in the Prime Day sale!!!!.

6. Argentofan

Argentofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've just jumped on that - I'm going from a Benq W1070 so I'm hoping I can see a decent difference when I feed my Xbox One X through it with a UHD :)

I've been looking online for recommended settings, but so far, no dice.. Have you been able to source anything?

7. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Na mate, not a lot of info on it. You'll find an improvement generally. 4K especially is good. Try some 4k you tube demos, theyre excellent

8. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I've a w1070 currently and missed out on getting one of these. Bargain.
    Looking forward to your feedback on it. Have an X to so interested in gaming lag when using hdr etc.

Cheers

9. Jonny klu

Jonny klu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I just bought this in the Amazon sale. First ever projector and I love it. However I have had to put it on a desk instead of ceiling mount as I can't for the life of me work out where to screw in the bolts to the ceiling mount. Can anyone help at all. Thanks guys.

10. Argentofan

Argentofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    On my wall mount I had to drill some extra holes into the metal mounting plate. There are three bolt holes in a triangle shape more or less in the centre of the bottom of the projector. It’s great once it’s all positioned properly. Xbox Xloiks great and the uhd’s look fabulous. Just need some settings to try out now...

11. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    why not put it on a high up shelf instead, turn the projector upside down and apply some door stopper size feet with stick pads for makeshift feet, that'll help with vertical alignment, pic attached of mine with feet attached to top

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  12. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I've just bought this on the Amazon 'Deal of the Day' at £800. Set it up yesterday and once I'd used the THX Optimiser (Terminator 2 blu-ray) to make sure that the colour, tint, contrast and brightness were OK (colour & tint were almost smack on - contrast and brightness were way out) Played Hacksaw Ridge 4K and the picture was excellent. For £800 its a bargain.

13. Jonny klu

Jonny klu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys a month in now with the projector and I love it. Its ceiling mounted and its still up there :) Is there somewhere I can find online to make sure I am getting the most out of the projector as with uhd the results can be mixed sometimes amazing other times missing the mark, I assume it is due to my set up and I am currently changing settings on a daily basis depending on what I am viewing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

14. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
  15. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    Also, I take it the projector doesn't offer 3D? Can't find anything to say it does but just checking.

16. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I've pulled the trigger. Arrives tomorrow to replace a much loved benq w1070.
    Fingers crossed for 4k improvements

17. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I took the plunge last time this was on offer at £799. For that price it's a bargain, so I'm pleased I purchased it. You do have to spend a bit of time to set it up. I used the THX optimiser that you find on some discs. It was definitely a step up from the Optoma 1080p projector that I was using before. The only draw back with it is that it isn't 3D, but considering that TV manufacturers aren't making 3D capable TV's any more, I can see the format dying out eventually for home use.

18. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    I thought as much. I really still enjoy 3D and have a collection of 3D blu's so don't want to discard it completely and doing so only helps to kill the format.

Really tempted by this but will hold out for something that offers both 4K and 3D.

19. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    can you post your settings please. I know everyone's is different but will be a good reference points for us noobs

20. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I bought my one back in June and its a fantastic projector and produces a great 4k image for best results run some youtube 4k footage as it looks so impressive.
    Movie wise the best Ive watched quality wise has been Lucy and Marvel Avengers Assembled.
    Currently running my movies through a custom built 4k pc.

Great projector.

Cheers Darko

21. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    sounds good, can you share your settings also please

22. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Yeah no problems but keep in mind I have a lamp on as the kids get scared lol

23. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    mines not in a bat cave either there is ambient light, its in a lounge
    its just arrived (i'm at work) so an evening of testing to follow
    xbox one x
    ps4 pro
    amazon prime
    netflix
    youtube 4k etc

24. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    Wishing I'd bought one to try out now, hahahaha

25. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I'm going from a benq w1070 with darbee darblet for sharpened image so I'm a little concerned I won't notice any improvements. The picture on the w1070 looks amazing to me already at 125 inches from 3.3m. Just hoping that 4k is noticeably better. If not it will go back

I'll update tomorrow after the testing session

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  26. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Trust me you will notice the difference, make sure you play the youtube 4k content on it.
    Darko

27. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I was meant to be updating after the test session but I've been having too much fun with it sorry

xbox one x - 4K HDR looks incredible, netflix app has a weird glitch where it defaults everything to HDR but it hasn't spoiled the viewing at all, HD programmes look fantastic, noticeably sharper, 4K and $K HDR look as good as I would have hoped
    4K gaming is superb, add in HDR on Forza horizon 4, rocket league etc and winner winner..., even PUBG is soooo much better in 4K HDR !
    ps4 pro - issue with flickering, fixed by googling, known issue with pro and 4k hdr, otherwise just like the xbox one x

have mine set to ECO with dynamic black, great PQ and black levels, colours are rich and varied, everything I hoped for and more, £800 seems a bargain so far

ps meant to say I've left the different picture settings pretty much as is, upped the sharpness to 15 on each, ultra detail left off, use cinema for non-hdr, game for gaming, lamp set to ECO with dynamic black on, the projector may only be 2,200 lumens but eco and dynamic is more than bright enough, not had to tweak colours etc, everything seems spot on out of the box, i'm a fussy bugger but no complaints here

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  28. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    still loving this
    it replaced my old BenQ W1070 at 3M throw distance and have only lost 5" diagonal, gone from 125" down to 120",
    still situated on a floating shelf a metre above our heads (additional L brackets underneath now as weight is 5kg compared to 2.5kg), this thing is whisper quiet on ECO dynamic mode, could rarely hear the BenQ but his is noticeably quieter.
    Imput lag is great for gaming and the colours on Spiderman on ps4 and FH4 on xbox are gorgeous.
    so glad i took the plunge

29. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Just a few snaps on a iPhone X in a white room with lights off, UHD300x is a bit special for the price

YouTube 4K 60fps 2643FB8D-440E-4C07-8C42-0BA362C2BAC7.jpeg 873D1269-0784-42C3-8350-B13BCE255B5F.jpeg EE69B24E-C231-41F3-86AA-D1BF95E4200F.jpeg 28A42551-2DA8-457D-929F-86DAA1C6AD64.jpeg

30. JonesyJ90

JonesyJ90
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys after buying a seconhand hd230x with only 100 hours light use after a week I have already started searching for a new one, this was my first tim using a projector and just wow, now im ready to lay out some more money for a better quality 4k really, im guessing my projector being 8years old there has been some real inprovments, im a sports mn boxing and football with the odd movie nights, im looking between
    uhd40 vs 300x and the BenQ W1700

Some advise for quality with 4k, this is not a man cave but black out curtains in the lounge and lights off, any help would be great I would go for the 300x if it was 799 deal of the day but its just below 1k at the moment is the ectra worth the other uhd40. Thanks Lewis