Optoma UHD40 thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TechieSarah, Aug 22, 2018.

1. TechieSarah

TechieSarah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    hi folks, like this projector a lot, but...

When it switches from 4K source to 1080p or other half the screen flashes green and then black. Noticed a review online with a user having the same issue, his was with a PS4, mine is with Apple TV4K.
    Firmware is

System 04
    Mcu 02

Anyone else having this, and found a work around?

Sarah

2. Ducko88

Ducko88
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sarah,
    I have just bought the same projector and haven’t had this issue occur to me.
    I wanted to ask if your UHD40 buzzes whilst running? Mine seems quiet loud when there’s no sound so just wondering I it’s normal (sorry to change topic)

3. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I had a green strip a couple of times with the Apple TV 4k box. I have no idea when it happens specifically. Rebooting the Apple TV box sorted it, can't remember whether I changed input sources with my Marantz receiver (and changed back again) as well or not...the next time it happens I'll try that first. No idea where the problem lies though but that's at least 2 of us with a big green bar issue / something weird going on with the Apple 4k box...

I'm not switching sources or res. though, everything is being sent through as 4k from my receiver...if I see / notice anything else or a fix etc. I'll post it here...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ducko88, I just get the normal fan noise, no buzzing...

5. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hi, Ducko88, yes it does buzz when you turn it on but the buzzing noise is the same volume as the fan noise when the fan kicks in (after a few seconds) so I can't hear it. The buzzing and the fan noise are both quiet though...
    Cheers, Rob.

6. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    tried my panasonic bdt700 1080p bluray player on it the picture looks awful ie grainy and flickering

7. joner7777

joner7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    I am looking to upgrade from my Panasonic PT-AE 6000 projector to a Optoma UHD40
    I realize that tech gets cheaper as years go buy but will this 4K projector be a better picture than mine.

8. digger99

digger99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    No not overall the 6000 will have better blacks and colours still.

9. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    hi i have the same issue, either the whole screen goes black or just half the screen, but fortunately the pj can be restarted in a very short time but hopefully there might be a firmware update soon.

10. TechieSarah

TechieSarah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Ive had the latest firmware a few weeks ago, still does it

11. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    how did you get the latest firmware

12. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    looking on optoma website cant seem to find it

13. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    yeah same here i heard you had to pack it up and send it back to optoma unless they have changed things

14. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    One of the reviews I read said they had three returns and all had same issue
    The issue is annoying but there are many positives to this projector.

15. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    just feed it 4k material nothing else and tweak the user settings to your fancy

16. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The signal from my Panasonic is 4k
    It mostly does it with my external hard drive connected going from 1080p to 4k.

17. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had mine for a couple of days now and am really liking it. How does everyone feel about the dynamic black function? I like the contrast but don’t like it constantly changing during a scene, just wish it was a little bit smoother.

18. RoomwithaVUE

RoomwithaVUE
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So glad I found this thread (thanks Sarah). I have the half screen / blank screen issue too. It was doing it several times a day on various different sources, but I have made some changes and they have reduced the number of occurrences.

• Firstly Richer Sounds swapped out the unit for me (always great cust service from RS), however made no difference at all.
    • Changed my AV amp (needed to for another reason - HDCP) - no difference.
    • It's on a 12m HDMI cable run AV amp to the projector so bought a fancy optical HDMI cable upgrade (ouch £100) - improved matters quite a bit, but still happening, just less often.
    • Got a HDMI repeater (J-Tech Digital - the one recommended by Optoma in one of their videos) and again it reduced the number of occurrences significantly. But it still happens occasionally, with the only way to remedy it is to power cycle the projector, which won't do bulb life much good.
    Only other things I can think of to chase it down are that it happens when it is re-syncing (I think) eg changing between sources on the AV amp, or (most often) when I am playing a blu ray on my XboxOneS and it is switching between 1080p for the Blu Ray and 4K for the Xbox interface. Happened once switching to Amazon Fire TV. Most noticeably, it happens when it has been sat on one source for a long time, then you change it.

When it does happen I get left hand side of the screen only for a second, then that goes off and I get right hand side only and it stays that way. If I try to restore it by re-syncing using the button on the projector remote, I lose the screen altogether (black). Same if I change source again to another AV input on the amp, or change to the other HDMI input on the projector it just wigs out completely. Lamp stays lit on the projector, but displays back screen. Cue re-start of projector and all is well again.

Same firmware version as OP.

As the cable and repeater upgrades have both improved matters, I'm working on the assumption that it's related to signal strength (but no sparklies or other distortion, errors etc). But the fact that it only seems to occur after it has been sat on one source for some time, that confuses me. I am next going to try upgrading the HDMI cables from each source to the AV amp, and from the amp to the repeater just to give it it's best possible signal, but if anyone has any wisdom on what exactly is causing this, I'd love to hear ideas. Cheap ones ideally.

Sorry for the overly long post!

halfscreen.jpg

19. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    hi roomwithavue i have the same issues i am on my third projector now
    i have found that watching sky q for a whole evening changing from hd to uhd content it does not do it,i only have this issue when watching blue rays or using my external hard drive when changing resolution.I have a 15 metre 18gb hdcp hdmi cable i was going to change to a fibre optic but seems like you have changed your cable and it still does it.

20. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My cure was projector on first than amp. Then source .No problems since

21. RoomwithaVUE

RoomwithaVUE
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pioneerman and Frankie13.

Frankie13, were you getting the half screen issue? And how long you waiting before turning amp on? I usually turn PJ on first but only by a second or two. Also how long is your cable run to the PJ please??

Pioneerman - I will let you know if things improve when I swap out the smaller HDMI cables. They're on order. Optical cable did improve things, but not a total fix.

I have a clumsy workaround which is to switch the PJ to another input (even an empty one) whilst you stop the blu ray, or change the source, then change it back. But of course you're doing this effectively blind so not ideal.

Cheers

22. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    waited about 3mins my cable is a 15m fibre optic when chosing sauce on av/rec make sure no other sauces are on

23. markab75

markab75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've got the same problem as already mentioned.

If I'm watching something like sky Q for a while and then change to a different source the screen just goes blank (higher incidence if switching from HD to 4k). Sometimes half of the screen goes, but it's effectively a "half screen of death" because the only cure in any case is to blindly switch the projector off, wait 30 seconds and switch back on.

As previously discussed it seems worse if you watch a particular input source for a while and then change. I also find if I'm watching netflix then when going through the menus when the trailer comes on for a program then the sound starts but the screen goes blank for about 5 seconds before coming back on.

The worst culprit seems to by my Sony UBP-X700B blu ray player, sky less so. Blu rays & DVDs are hit and miss.

I have a Neutec 15m cable between a Denon AV unit and an Audioquest HDMI 1m from the sony to the Denon. I must have tried every option to change this but can't get it to work without this happening a few times each evening.

It's highly frustrating, so if anyone has an answer then I'd be happy to know!

24. maxwood

maxwood
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm also having the same issue, does anyone know if there's a solution?