Optoma UHD40 not decoding Sky HDR

AndyCalvert

Standard Member
Hi, wondering if someone could help me. Tried doing a bit of googeling and can’t find out what I would like to know. I have the above projector which decodes HDR just fine with 4k Blurays and any 4k HDR content on Amazon prime/ Netflix through the app on said player. Sky have now started showing a lot of content in HLG HDR and it’s just not automatically recognising it at all. It’s not the Sky Q box as it recognises it on my LG TV along with Dolby Vision etc. So, does the above project I have not have the ability to recognise this type of HDR or is there some setting somewhere that I have to change? Thanks Andrew

bingodisco

Looking at the manual for the UHD40, it's very vague on HDR compatibility. Is your Q box set to output 2160P 10-bit? Does it recognise the projector as being capable of accepting such a signal?

AndyCalvert

Standard Member
Hi, yes the Sky box is set to 10-bit. HLG HDR works fine on my LG OLED so it cant be the Sky box. The projector recognises HDR from every other source. Shame if it wont recognise Skys format unless I have missed something. Wonder why they went for such an obscure format. Never heard of it till the first time it poped up on my TV.

bingodisco

Yeah, it's a form of HDR designed solely for broadcast use, hence you don't find any HLG encoded UHD Blu-Ray discs. It has been used by the BBC quite a lot - you'll find UHD HLG HDR versions of Perfect Planet, His Dark Materials and Doctor Who on the iPlayer app built in to many TVs (not on the Sky Q iPlayer app though). When it's implemented well it does work pretty successfully but I've not been blown away by any of Sky's own original content in HLG. Perfect Planet on iPlayer looks vastly superior to any of Sky's nature docs in HLG on my TV anyway.

AndyCalvert

Standard Member
Well what I suppose I can take from this, looking back at my previous posts I bought the project in June 2018. So it will have been in development 2016-17. If optoma didn't no it was going to be a commonly used form of HDR 2020 onwards they are not going to include it are they. I take it newer projects can decode it.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Your projector probably can’t accept 10 bit. Change to 8 bit before turning on the projector and see if it works.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom