Optoma UHD40 crazy brightness effect from Macbook HDMI

blondie81

Novice Member
Hey guys,

No problems in general when watching my Optoma UHD 40 connected to Netflix etc through XBox1X, however when I watch a HD football match through the Sky Sports app (in Europe) on my Macbook, and connect via HDMI into my amp and then to the projector, all of the whites and lighter colours are completely blown out giving a strange over-contrasty over-saturated effect. The picture on the laptop still looks completely normal.

I have noticed a similar effect when watching the occasional downloaded 4K movie through an external drive connected to my Xbox1X, and usually end up just downloading the same movie again in 1080 because the colours look much better. Which is also a bit of a shame because obviously I got the projector with 4k movies in mind.

Any idea why these two issues are happening? Is it something to do with a conflicting HDR setting?

oakwood49

connected via your amp you get the issues, have you tried going directly into the project hdmi instead as a test, i know you'll lose the sound from the amp. but at least that way you can test if it happens with the amp
not sure how you are watching 4k movies on the xbox as the kodi app doesnt support HDR and would give that effect, you will probably need a dedicated 4k android box off somewhere like amazon, one that supports HDR

blondie81

Novice Member
connected via your amp you get the issues, have you tried going directly into the project hdmi instead as a test, i know you'll lose the sound from the amp. but at least that way you can test if it happens with the amp
not sure how you are watching 4k movies on the xbox as the kodi app doesnt support HDR and would give that effect, you will probably need a dedicated 4k android box off somewhere like amazon, one that supports HDR
Hey thanks for the reply.
I find what you said about Kodi not supporting HDR very interesting. I'm not actually using Kodi, but both the XB1X media player app and VLC player, and I'm constantly having trouble playing 4K downloads. I was actually starting to wonder if I should invest in some kind of dedicated media player and then run that into my Xbox or directly into my amp. Is that what you mean by an Android box? Could you give me an example of what you mean so perhaps I can go away and do some more research? Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
MacBook - are you using an adapter or does it have HDMI Out?

MacBook to Projector - as per earlier advice have you tried this?

AVR to Projector - how long is the HDMI cable?

Joe

blondie81

Novice Member
MacBook - are you using an adapter or does it have HDMI Out?

MacBook to Projector - as per earlier advice have you tried this?

AVR to Projector - how long is the HDMI cable?

Joe
My MacBook has a HDMI out.
I haven't tried MacBook to projector yet as my PJ is quite difficult to get to up on the ceiling.
The cable from my AVR to PJ is a fibre optic one and runs about 25 feet.

Top Bottom