Question Optoma UHD300x Sky Q issue

Jduncan24615

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just got the Optoma UHD 300x projector. It’s been great so far so decided to get my Sky Q 2TB box moved upstairs to link it up.
When I connect it to the 4K HDMI port I get a black flicker every couple minutes on UHD, 1080P and 1080i

used the normal sky hdmi cable, tried a 4K one from amazon and awaiting for another one to arrive today. (Just arrived, doesn’t work)
The research I’ve done is it’s something to do with the frequency the Sky Q box sends out and the optoma struggles with it?

would running the Sky Q box through a receiver take away this issue? Or would a specific cable help? Fibre optic HDMI help any?

any help would be appreciated.

If your projector is over 8 metres from your Sky box I think that you you will struggle without a fibre cable.

Sky box is mounted up on a wall next to the projector so it’s not a cable length issue
Check the bit rate output in the sky box settings drop it down to 8 see what that does also make sure the audio is set to stereo.

No change.
I’ve read elsewhere that it’s an issue with the frequency that the Sky Q transmits it’s ultra hd that the projector doesn’t like.
If I ran the sky q box through a ca receiver and then to the projector would that help

I have had this issue for coming up to 2 years now and believe me I have tried everything including 3 different high end cables including fibre optic and I even introduced an HDMI switch from the skyq output, the issue is related to the framerate spat out by the Sky Q box being 50 frames per second the Optoma 300X UHD (ASWELL AS MANY OYHER DEVICES) cannot handle this and goes into a fault condition causing the blamk screen fault yet other outputs from devices like a 4K blu-ray player or an xboxone have no issues with the projector blanking , it has not really anything to do with the actual 4K output of the skyq box as if you use a 1080i/p or even 720p output into the 4k input of the Optoma 300 X UHD projector it will still get the blanking affect, it is the framerate that causes the issue,
I have only just recently resolved issue by replacing my Yamaha RX 577 receiver with a Denon X2600H receiver and as if by magic PROBLEM SOLVED.
SO MY ADVICE IS DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON REPLACNG CABLES UPGRADE TO AN AVR THAT CAN HANDLE THE 50 Hz FRAMERATE

Its a problem with the second version of the Sky q box, it also flickers with some 4k tv's . I got my 300x PJ, denon avr and sky q all at same time , spent a fortune on "better" cables, and days trying to figure out where the weak link was. Sky acknowledge there is an issue with 2nd gen box and some UHD tv/pj's and gave me a 1st gen box after engineer visited and verified it, they also took some money off bill for the period it was flickering,have had no issues with flicker from sky q since.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom