Optoma screen

Buttox Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 92" panoview screen and the sides of the screen were bent inwards. So i phoned the supplier to ask if this is normal and they said no it's not. After aplogising they sent me another brand new one out, so i hung it up and this one is exactly the same.

Must be normal. The white viewing area is not really affected, just the black surround at the sides seem to curl inwards. Wonder if this would get really bad through time?

Does anyone have experience of this?

I have a 92" panoview screen and the sides of the screen were bent inwards. So i phoned the supplier to ask if this is normal and they said no it's not. After aplogising they sent me another brand new one out, so i hung it up and this one is exactly the same.

Must be normal. The white viewing area is not really affected, just the black surround at the sides seem to curl inwards. Wonder if this would get really bad through time?

Does anyone have experience of this?
Hi fella, its perfectly normal :D its just to help the screen remain tensioned and straight.

Riz :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply, doubt the lady from projector point knew what was talking about. I had to take pics of the screen and email them to her before they decided to replace it.

Hope it does not get worse over time.

Thanks for the reply, doubt the lady from projector point knew what was talking about. I had to take pics of the screen and email them to her before they decided to replace it.

I bought mine from Projectorpoint too, first class service in my opinion. :thumbsup:

It should get any worse to be honest, if anything the weight of the screen bar should make them better overtime..... I hope... :D

Riz :thumbsup:

The panoview screens are well known to have this issue, yes its a way of keeping the tension on the screen. I bought a 84" screen from Nik at CVSmedia (no longer trading) a couple of years ago and he warned me the screen would be like this (I went for it as it was cheaper than all other screens). He said that if the screen is left down permanently this issue virtually disappears and I found he was right, so that's what I advise you do to eliminate the effect on the very edge of the white part of the screen, - I kept my screen permanently down. The black bit does always curl a little though but less if you leave it down.
This might be a problem if you don't want the screen left down all the time, - if that the case it might be best to get another screen, - swap if they will let you. I am not sure about others, - at a similar price possibly the sapphire ones are better (they seemed to have stayed the same price, - the panoview screens have increased in price recently, - the Sapphires are probably therefore better quality for the money). At a slightly higher price point I know for sure the Grandview and Beamax screens are better for sure and definitely don't have this issue. I have a 77" Grandview that definitely does not curl at the edges and has a perfect viewing surface, so the tension system must work differently on that screen. Don't go for a pull down Draper screen as some people have had problems with the surface having nasty uneveness, - including myself.
Cheers,
Colin

Last edited:
Moved to projection screens :)

sounds ok, as long as you've not got it happening on the white area as i have below, also on my 84" Optoma - this is going back as despite it being hanging for quite some time those diagonal creases you can see from the bottom are still there :(

3phototx.jpg

2photo.jpg

makes a mess of the nice clean lines of Sky graphics and onscreen menu :eek:

wonky2photo.jpg

superfi have got a replacement coming into their store for me on friday, i', away this weekend so will collect it on tuesday in time for friday's match :cool: so their service is pretty good too :smashin:

Just bypassed the shop and phoned optoma direct. I asked if this is normal and was put on short hold after consulting experts. He said certainly not. He's heard of it happening and thinks it's something to do with the way it's stored in the shop, a bit like wood. My screen is only a day old and i'm getting a swap direct from manufactures.

Just bypassed the shop and phoned optoma direct. I asked if this is normal and was put on short hold after consulting experts. He said certainly not. He's heard of it happening and thinks it's something to do with the way it's stored in the shop, a bit like wood. My screen is only a day old and i'm getting a swap direct from manufactures.
cheers for this info - question though, who's taking the hit on getting the defected one back to optoma? you? it states in their warranty it's our responsibility so just wondered if they stick to those rules or take on board it's their fault?

Glad you guys are getting them replaced :smashin: I`m going to try and adjust mine yet again to try and fill the 1-2cm gaps on each side without any overlap at the top and bottom.... wish me luck... :rolleyes:

Riz :rolleyes:
Nope..... didnt work...... so will have to live with the small 1-2cm gaps on each side. Strange.. you would think it would fit the entire white section of the screen being a Optoma projector with screen. :confused:

Riz :rolleyes:

I've only owned a screen for a couple of weeks so i wont be paying anymore delivery charges. There is an 18 month swap out garantee on panoview screens.

Hope this helps!

I've only owned a screen for a couple of weeks so i wont be paying anymore delivery charges. There is an 18 month swap out garantee on panoview screens.

Hope this helps!
cool, cheers. if i have the same issues with the replacement i'm getting on tuesday next week i'll be doing the same :smashin:

cool, cheers. if i have the same issues with the replacement i'm getting on tuesday next week i'll be doing the same :smashin:
pleased to report superfi swapped out my PMG for a new DS-9084PMG+ and it's all good! well impressed with this pj and screen for the money :smashin:

Optoma have shipped my new screen, awaiting delivery.:)

Been told that its up to me what i do with the screen i already have. They dont need it back.

i'm going to be calling optoma direct on monday as this new replacement screen (DS-9084PMG+) has developed a similar "wave / ripple" effect which is VERY annoying when watching sport :mad:

fingers crossed for the next one.

@Buttox Brown - how quick did they deliver yours mate? was it a courier like DHL etc?

Just got my replacement screen direclty from Optoma put it up and guess what, it exactly the same. That must be a feature design, thats my third one i'm on.:confused:

Hi guys..I have this Optoma screen coming next week and was hoping I might get an electric screen instead however it may well be due to lack of funds that I put the electric screen on hold....if I ceiling mount this Optoma is it fairly straightforward to do ? How easy did you find it and due to weight presumably you screwed into ceiling joists ? Can the brackets be positioned anywhere along the casing ? My previous screen did this but looking at Optoma website their description suggests the brackets are positioned one on each end of case and then hung using some (not supplied) hooks ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Beetle,

My electric Optoma screen can be wall mounted, ceiling mounted or ceiling hung. All three methods use the supplied L brackets. For hanging from the ceiling, Optoma also supply eyelets for the L brackets - but no hooks or hanging hardware to attach to the ceiling.

The L brackets are free to slide along the full length of the screen casing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom