1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma Rd50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Michelle1965, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody... :thumbsup:

I have been reading throught these forums for a while now, and everything i tend to hear about the above model seems quite promising, could somebody let me know where i can get a demo of this set in the East Midlands Area, preferably Nottingham, Lincoln area etc....

Also could anyone post any links reguarding this set, as personally i think this is the set to get.

Could anyone confirm also that the picture quality of the Optoma is more or less the same as an LCD (I prefer sharp images)

Thanks in advance

Michelle. :clap:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look in the stick thread at the top of the page the third post in it is the Optoma section there is a link to threads about the RD50 .
    A LCD monitor at a distance of 18" is sharper but the 50" picture of the RD50 is
    fine for using as a computer monitor at 3 foot or more .Optoma pictures

Try Audiovision they are somewhere in the east midlands
    Audiovision
    0845 130 5905
    I would strongly advise a demo first before buying

3. lienly

lienly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have thought to get its big bro, RD65.
    however after many comparisons at different dealers, I found an even much better one, Tosh 62 DLP!!!
    RD50 PQ is good, but Tosh HM84 PQ makes your jaw dropping to ground!!! :thumbsup:

4. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

If you cannot find a local dealer to demonstrate you are welcome to view my RD50 if you wish. I'm in Derby, 15 miles from Nottingham, near Pentagon Island at the end of the A52.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... get some glasses :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know it was on sale in this country yet:rolleyes:

7. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i agree what ever Razor just said :hiya: :hiya: :hiya:

8. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your replies so far :clap:

First of all i would also like to add that the stand that comes with the Optoma, i will not require, basically because i have built in cabinets, so it will stand on those.

If possible could someone be so kind to give me some measurements from the floor to the top of their TV stand. The reason why i am asking is on the optoma the stand has been made for eye level as to give off a better view. My cabinets stand at 18.5 ins from the floor to the top of them. I may need to adjust them accordingly. In other words i do not want to craine my neck whilst viewing.

Thanks

Michelle.

9. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My TV stand is at 18inches high which is still too high for my liking. Ideally, it should be 6 to 8 inches lower. However, at 18inches it is watchable without craning one's neck.

10. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Van :thumbsup:

Btw i would like to see your Tv at some point, at least that way i can see it working properly. My husband was saying to get to your home can we get into it going to Derby train station? Then a cab etc.

Maybe you would like to send a pm instead of displaying your address on here?

Thank you :clap:

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He was straying far afield.
    Don't know which Optoma RD50 he saw the American one with HD2 or the European with HD2+

12. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have just measured my wall and where it will be situated on top of my cabinets it will have to be the small 50ins :rotfl: i wouldnt have room for the 65ins, i will just have to make sure the lorry that brings it makes enough noise for the neighbours to see :D

I am off soon to view someones so i will be armed with my ruck sack of Dvds, only joking ;)

Ps...Can anyone tell me is the picture quality as good as a CRT?i proberly do watch more TV than Dvds at present, but hopefully that is about to change once i get my new toy :clap:

Thanks everyone...

Michelle.

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a lot like a good CRT set from 12 feet it looks better than our 27" Tosh crt in the conservatory on nearly all programes apart from football. The best programe sources you can watch from 5 feet , it all depends on how much bandwidth a programe has & also how good the quality of the programme , BBC wildlife programmes are usually fantastic.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I find viewing difficult at a distance of 4 inches :devil:

15. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i lie on the floor in front of the fire(watching tv) i will be 7ft away from the screen, but i assume i will be craning my neck? When sat on the sofa it will be 13ft away from the screen maximum.

16. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Btw Razor is your room that small :rotfl: Maybe you should have got a smaller Tv :D

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    If you haven't already, you should consider getting a digital TV box of some sort - Freeview if you're in a good coverage area offers the best digital PQ - and most of what's broadcast is widescreen (on digital) nowadays so it will fit your screen properly.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL..... Your joking my heart is set on upgrading my RD65 for a 82' Mitsubishi. Only a dream at the moment. I want to put a life size screen saver of the RD65 on the Mitsubishi.... :D

What an ambition. :rolleyes:

19. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last saturday we were invited to a member of the forums called 'Van300' to view the Optoma rd50 at his home. Because we had viewed nearly all CRT, Plasma, & some rear projections we were losing faith, as we wanted a TV that was really good for tv viewing, not just DVDs.

Van was the perfect host. he started at the bottom of the pile so to speak, eg, showing us analogue, right through to High Defination. We were there for some time going through all channels and looking at dark scenes, bright scenes, fast moving, blacks, whites, colours etc.

What really took us by complete surprise were the dvds looked a lot like 3D films, also the high defination clips were amazing, you would not get any better.

We have been looking at all types of tvs for about 5 months, two or three times we were near to buying one, but my husband changed his mind, he didnt know why at the time, but now realises that he was fated to get the optoma :thumbsup:

I would like to express a big thank you to Van for his time and expertise. Considering you have only had this TV 2 months, you really know it inside out. Since our visit, we have ordered one today, and cannot wait to start viewing. Having viewed every available type of tv, we think this cannot be beaten for this price, excellent.

Thanks Again

Michelle & sam :clap:

20. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you'll be happy with your RD50 when you get yours, it's not perfect but comes close it handles poor sources well & is great with a good source.
    :)

21. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Michelle & Sam

It was my pleasure and I'm glad that you've decided on the RD50. I hope it will bring you both much pleasure to TV viewing and you both can now look forward to high definition material as much as I.

It was unfortunate that I forgot to show you both the R1 NTSC judder. However, it is lessened considerable with dvd players set to PAL singal only, as I have set mine at.

Please do let me know how you get on with your RD50 when it arrives. I'm sure you can't wait.

22. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi van, no we can't wait, but got to wait 3 whole weeks, how will i survive :rotfl:

I hadnt realised the time had gone so quick either, you will have to pay us a visit to view ours when its up and running. The guy on the phone said the people that set it up only install, they wont set up NTL digital for us :( so i assume we need a TV man to come and do that for us. I would be there all done tunning all NTLs channels, theres hundreds of them :eek:

I wanted it all installed for the world cup, then i realised i am a year in front, as thats next year :rotfl: But never mind ;)

By the way van, i am so pleased you didnt show us the RING Dvd, with the 3D effect, it would have scared me witless :D

Thanks

Michelle & Sam

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

The NTL box will be connected via scart so you wont have to tune all the chanels in, you will have the cable box as before. :cool: Unless you were joking :D

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very easy to autotune the TV channells on the RD50's internal TV tuner

25. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yes i know most people can do this, but i dont like to fiddle with techie stuff that i havent got a clue about :) If it was just to plug something in the back of the Tv, then that would be ok, but tuning stuff :confused: I wouldnt know where to start.

Remember you guys proberly know TVs inside out, i am a newbie :D

I am on the hunt now for a fabulous DVD player that is compatible with my TV, that has auto scanning etc...Its this forum, before my husband started reading on here, i just had a £30 cd player and a Asda DVD player :rotfl: Now we have a Rotel top of the range CD player, and Bower and Wilkins speakers, a new 50 inch TV coming, next the DVD player, omg where will it end :rotfl:

Technology is soooooooo exciting :clap:

Michelle.

26. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Michelle

Don't spend too much money on a dvd player for the present. Spend it on a high definition dvd player when they have decided on either blu-ray or hd dvd once these come out otherwise you'll waste your money.

If you feel that you really need to upgrade the present dvd player now then I would recommend the Pioneer 575A, same as mine, which can be bought for £100 now.

27. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's no more techie than tuning a radio : using you remote you press menu then use the direction buttons surounding the select button to select the settings menu & then as long as you've got an ariel plugged into the set you select TV then Autotune then go & make a cup of coffee & by the time you get back it's done.

Best DVD player for you depends on your budget
    If you can afford one a HTPC would offer superb quality DVD playback & enable you to record TV to your hardrive like a super VCR but far easier to use. They cost from about £800 upwards.
    If you go the DVD player route try & get one with a HDMI output maybe a Denon 2910 or a Denon 3910.

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen Van's post i'd still recomend a HTPC but he gives good advice about waiting for the hidef DVD player to arrive on the scen before buying.