1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma rd50 v Sagem hd-d45

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hutchys, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am well aware of the Ntsc problem with the Opotma but I have very few R1 DVD's so has anyone seen both of these screens and have an opinion on them? I believe they are both HDCP capable and both have the same chips hd2+? so the picture quality should in theory be equal. So the question is with only R2 (mostly) which screen will be/ is better for R2 dvd's sky TV(not +) and sometimes normal aerial viewing (but this really will be very little). If anyone has an opinion on these screens I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
    Jim

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should be the same quality wise. I am happy with the factory settings of the Optoma picture & have only had to fiddle with the user settings once or twice for specific broadcasts. If picture quality was equal it comes down to which set looks nicer to you & do you want a 50" or a 45" set.
    to demo the sets try Audiovision in Cambridgeshire.

3. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By all means take a demo at Audiovision - but I would not purchase from them again. I returned a stand over 5 weeks ago and despite several calls they still have not refunded my card. I am also trying to send my rd50 back but they are proving difficult on this as well.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andyxxx
    Phone Optoma & ask to speak with Roy Stonebank.
    I know Audiovision were still advertising on the web new years eve that it was NTSC compatable if u need proof i could email a scan of the printout i took.
    I still think you'll likely run into sound delay probs with another make.
    Anyway hope you get it sorted.

ps just been watching ski sunday & there was a slight lip synch delay in the studio although the rest of the program was ok. only about the third time sice i've had the RD 50 i've noticed anything.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Roy Sonebank is gentleman and a good member of Optomas staff. A diamond.

;)

6. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have dealt with Mr Stonebank from the day the set was delivered and he has been most helpful and true to his word. He assured me if there was no fix for my problem they would accept the set back (even though it was going to be four or five weeks) and indeed has agreed to collect it - Audiovision now say I am outside the time limit to do so (even though they have been kept informed at every stage). As I say deal with Audiovision at your peril.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thanks for the info andy. The best thing you can do is start a new thread on how bad audiovision are and let bad publicity do the rest. Once they know they are receiving negative views on a popular av forum such as this you might get a bit of response.

Good luck and keep everyone posted.

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do Optoma say .I was under the impression they collect the set?

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    They do collect the set steve but the refund has to come from the retail outlet not optoma. I feel sorry for people who have rejected the set and are still stuck with it.
    I would phone threatening to leave the set in my garden if its not collected with in 5 working days. I have done that before with a faulty american style fridge that cost me over £1700. It turned up faulty and I was stuck with a large broken fridge for 6 weeks untill I lost my rag and threatend to toss the unit in the garden. It was picked up with in 48 hours.
    As long as ypu have it in writing from optoma that the set is to be returned then I really dont see any problem with this course of action. I think they are hoping that you will just live with the RDs faults and forget about the refund.

Good luck Andy

10. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So this is down to what you want 50" or 45" both sets have the same set up's ie both have PIP + PAP etc. Picture set up, colour etc are similar on both sets. Do both sets have hdmi?. All things being equal and what members have been subjected too on the forums it may be better going with the Sagem purely on customer relations.
    Thanks
    Jim

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both sets have DVI not HDMI but both are HDCP compatable so will be able to get sky hidef when they start broadcasting next year.
    Sagem have not exactly covered themselves in glory over the Sagem 50" HDCP problem one minute they are saying it's going to be fixed the next denying it.
    I get a quite good picture on the sets internal tuner sometimes it's better than the telewest broadcast sometimes worse. Best picture is with a freeview box .I use my PC TV card.
    I'm surprised nobody seem's to have gone & demoed the set's at Audiovision
    £2000 is not pocket money & you'd want to make the right choice.