Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Optoma RD50 review

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by St_ve, Jan 12, 2005.

1. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking on the forum ever since i bought a RD 50. i've found it very helpfull
    so a big thankyou to everyone.
    My big problem at the moment is do i keep it or go for another DLP without the region one problem.I don't have any R1 DVDs but my son has around 120.
    On region 2 DVDs with a cheap DVD player bought when the world was young the quality is great on DVDs & varies from very good on telewest blueyonder to poor on some channels DIY progs & some football.

I used a cheap set top arial & managed to tune in ITV & channel 4 & the quality was surprisingly good i was'nt able to get the BBC

I connected my PC to the DVI input selected 1280 by 720 on my Radeon X800pro grahics card & played Half Life 2 the quality was fantastic identical to my PC monitor except 50" instead of 17" there was a problem in that only about 80% of the picture was displayed.I didn't bother trying to fix it as i prefer playing games on my PC monitor
    a 17"moniter from 13" is as good as a 50"DLP from 13 feet.

The only time i hear the fan is when i take it out of standby for a few seconds & when i switch off.

I don't like the look of the tosh with the speakers on the side the samsung looks marvelous but is out of my price league
    The Sagem Axium has a very good picture very bright but does suffer from burnt out whites.
    The Sagem Axium HD-D45 DLP is now in stock at UK Plasma-TV & we should get some feedback on the quality & if it's got any problems with region 1 DVDs it would be realy usefull if an ex RD50 owner reviews it.
    If the RD50 was'nt so damm good on R2 it would be a lot easier to part with it.
    If i hear very positive feedback on the new 45" Sagem i will go for it .If i do end up keeping the RD 50 i won't be too disapointed as its very good overall.

I'm not too disapointed with Optoma as they are taking back the sets i'm used to products being rushed to market on the PC with bugs that's why they call it the bleeding edge of technology.If they waited till all the bugs were ironed out on the PC before releasing it we'd all be still using DOS.

UPDATE
    Well its 18 days since i started this thread.With a PC the RD50 can be used to watch Region One NTSC DVD's without any judder Windvd6 makes a superb software DVD player when connected via the DVI input
    Last Picture shows Plymouth Dockyard & is a screengrab using snagit i've put some screengrabs of BBC 1 on page 2 :
    (*A screengrab only shows the quality of the source in this case a PC via the DVI input the graphic card & windvd6 you'll have to take my word that they give a very good indication of what u see looking at the RD50 in real life) :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im happy with my RD50 and most of my dvd collection is r2 so it doesnt affect me it only affects me SLIGHTLY is playing console games as im sure most gamers here know that 60hz is the way to play games 50hz is a no no but even still the judders are slight and not enough to put me off my gaming.

theres one thing of concern though is in so many years time when it gathers up dust will that start to affect the DLP, mirrors etc etc? and how much would it cost to repair? i know im thinking way too into the distant future but how hard is it to clean inside the DLP RP tv's?

btw its a good TV but many ppl in this forum do own more R1 dvd's and i know how they would feel if you had 50 R1 dvd's to find out they dont run how they should. its not cheap to rebuy R2 dvd's especially in TAX eating britain :rotfl:

3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    I think the whole Optoma situation is very bad. Fancy making a tv that doesnt accept a 60hz input. Next Optoma are bringing out a non BBC 1 and 2 compatible tv, the set will be optomised for ITV only.
    To add to that they promised they would phone me yesterday and still no news. I have just phoned them and out of a whole building there was no one avialible to talk. All i want is the 60 Hz problem sorted along with a manual and adapter. Not to much to ask, but apparently it is.
    To be honest I wish I never saw the RD65. :(

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Lion your right. What am I thinking... :clown:

(Optoma charged one of its customers postage (£1.50) for a cd version of the manual. That really takes the p**s.)

5. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes that person was me :blush: but i have to admit i like the cd box though :)

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    The manual isn't all that great anyway. Its very basic.

What would you rate the manual out of 10?

I'd give it a 6, and minus 2 point's for having to print it up yourself. A manual shouldn't be about loose bits of paper.

Total 4/10

Any one else?

7. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got another minus point, it doesn't describe all the settings on the user page, mainly those on the right side of the page. My memory is rather fuzzy, as tv's gone. Things like intensity, red, green, blue (well obvious but still)

Chris

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with you on the manual being rubish i did'nt even bother printing it.
    I've had the set since Christmas Eve & i heard the fan running today i guess it was allways making a noise but i did'nt notice untill i lisnend for it.
    I was reading up on DVD players at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html
    & they've got a lot of interesting stuff . It seems most DVD players pass a reduced
    colour space when u use a HDMI adapter into the DVI socket & some of the better players enable u to select studio something? which allows the player to pass extended black information so u can see more detail in the blacks.
    I guess my next move will be to demo a couple of decks the pioneer 575 as big rick
    recomends for the R1 issue & the Denon 3910 as it's supposed to be very good at stopping macro blocking.
    A HTPC might be the best way forward if Optoma can't solve the R1 fiasco. :rolleyes:

9. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Chris, The manual just tells you how to switch it on and thats about it. Useless. Like you say there is no detail etc.

Good post St ve

Intresting reading about the DVI/HDMI.

I think your right about a HTPC being the only way out of this. I tried to watch American Physco tonight, I got about 15 min in and I switched it off. Juddering was getting to much.

Has anyone else tried a Panasonic 575 or HTPC with a RD50 or RD65?

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Razor; I'm somewhat mystified, having seen a number of your posts on this TV, why it is that you haven't decided to take up Optoma's offer of a refund, and go buy something that does actually work? Rather than continuing to suffer and complain here about the problem while you seek a workround. Not passing judgement, just curious, that's all.

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    LV426 I do not mind at all.

The reason is as follows.

I have a Philips 46 inch rear pro, which I have moved from my lounge 2 floors up to my bedroom. This was done by a small crane and lifted through my balcony at a cost of £350. As there isnt another 65 inch set on the market if I returned the RD65 I would not replace it with anything on the market as there is nothing I want. The reason I bought the RD65 was its sheer size. This means that I would have to pay another £350 to bring my 46 inch rear pro downstairs. This means I would have spent £700 to demo the RD65. Optoma have stated already that they are not willing to pay these costs. This is why I am hanging on to a small chance of hope that this problem can be cured, after all the RD65 and RD50 are the only DLP sets that can not display 60Hz correctly. As I have said before the RD65 does give a good picture on a PAL 50 source and its this picture wich I am trying to obtain on NTSC/60Hz material. I beleive this problem would not exisit if another company was doing the research. Again as I have said before, no one at Optoma seems to know or understand their own technology. They are very slow at testing scallers, producing a decent manual (still havent got a hard copy only a cd), HDMI adapter which has been promised every time I have spoken to them etc.
    When you ask them what scallers/poccessors they have tried the answer always is 'I dont know'. A great help as, they have told me they have tried a few scallers with no luck (which ones are they? So I can steer clear and try others).

When I first noticed this problem I told Optoma that the RD set was dropping frames and they took 2 weeks to agree on this matter. TWO whole weeks to work that out when its plainly obvious to see.

LV426 all I wish is that Optoma or a knowledgable member of these forums could help remove this problem as I still cant see why its an impossibility. If there was another 65 inch set on the market which worked correctly I wouldnt hesitate to return the RD65 in an instant. This is not the case. So for the time beign I am stuck with this set. Also Optoma always promise to contact me and as always they break this promise.
    If there is a work around I feel the only I will find it is by these forums and not by Optoma.

Sorry for the long post.

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just phoned Plasma Uk & was told the Sagem Axium plays Region1 fine they are expecting the first consignment of 22 sets today.
    I am going to wait untill there is some very good feedback hopefully in the next couple of days before deciding to keep or return the RD50 just wish the new axium was 50" :rolleyes:

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Or 65". lol

14. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Razor - that seems like a perfectly valid explanation to me. I wish you well. Of course, you could always consider going for (much more portable) front projection.......

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    I looked at front projection but it wasn't practicle in my house.

If I could have one I would of gone for the Infocus 7205 HD2+. A lovelly picture. What display do you have LV426?

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Mine is a fairly old LCD job - Sony VW10HT. I've just put a new lamp in it so it will have to last another year or two yet. I'm very DLP rainbow sensitive, so it's replacement will either be another LCD or a 3-chip DLP (provided, of course, that DLP manufacturers have come to their senses about pricing of these items).

It throws onto a 9ft diagonal pulldown screen in front of a window. It's great because I can have my huge cinematic experience without having to suffer a huge grey box in the room when it's not in use.

I also have a 22inch LCD TV for "routine" viewing.

17. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Imagine shades of black measured on a 0-255 scale level, with DVI the first lump of bits are not used so black level 0 is actually set to 16 with white at 235. The result is a grayish black and duller whites (slightly) since the display thinks that we are still on a scale of 0-255 not something shorter. However all decent DVD players have the option to select DVI output via HDMI so I don't think it is something to worry about, just something to be aware of when you are setting your player up. I think Kris Deering (reviewer) keeps repeating it because he left an Arcam on the wrong setting when he reviewed it months ago and had to go back to change the score (for the better) once he realised his mistake!!

18. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Say that again Liam? I have a Pioneer 886 with HDMI out into an Optoma via DVI. are you saying there is a setting on my 868 to tell it i'm connecting to a DVI sink as apposed tro an HDMI sink?

I have never really been happy with the 868 output as the dynamic brightness has not matched my sky+ connection via RGB (ie daylight through sky is much brighter than through the 868.

19. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You do have to be careful though. The optoma is only setup to recieve 16-235 as the colour range. I found this with the Denon 2910, which has the option of being in extended mode, and you completely loose the black and white detail. This is obvious if you use the THX brightness test page. Change to extended and dark blacks disappear, even if you turn up the brightness to full. Switch back to the normal range and they all re-appear.

So you may find that the 868 needs to be switched to RGB via hdmi (which it might do automagically) and keep to the normal range. Looking at the online manual for the 868 under Video settings there an option called HDMI Color adjust, which has standard and enhanced options, which might be the equivelent to the denon.

Chris

20. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I think the setting is called advanced colour or HDMI colour, switches the 868 over to RGB via HDMI rather than digital component. Although I had thought it does it itself when it doesn't detect a HDMI display sink.

Longer shot, but your issue may be related to gamma and contrast settings on the player...

21. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Sounds a nice set up LV. I have seen the VW10HT on a 12 foot screen with no chicken wire effect to be seen. I have also seen this projector with a blue ray demo and again I was very impressed. Shame you suffer from the rainbow effect I have only seen it a handfull of times. I guess i am lucky.
    You talk about the 3 chip dlp projectors. I have seen a few of these at a AV show (infocus 777 and I think a marantz). I couldnt see any real picture advantage over the Infocus 7205, which leads me to think that it is the software which is limiting displays and not the projectors (roll on HD DVD and/or Blue ray). After all the infocus 777 is around £20,000-00 and the size of a of a small suit case (approx 3.5 foot by 2 foot). Beautifull but not practicle, imagine hanging that from your ceiling, you wouldnt get me sitting under it....lol.

22. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Relatively poor black is the only real criticism I have of the VW10. It was good, in it's day, but is easily surpassed in this respect nowadays.

The big, big difference of 3-chip DLP (over single chip DLP, I mean) is the absence of the rainbow artefact - something which, as I say, I do have a serious issue with.

I have little doubt that, given a couple of years (i.e. the expected lifespan of my new lamp) three chip DLPs will become more "mainstream". There's no way I'd be parting with GBP20k for one. Get them down to 4 or 5k max, and I'll start looking.......

23. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lv246 how is football on rd50 i had a toshiba 46 sent it back because of the blurr and oil painting effect dose the rd50 suffer the same problems as im thinking of getting rd50

24. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    as......asking the wrong person. I don't have a rd50. And I don't watch football. Maybe someone else can offer a view for you.

25. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sorry about that..lv246.. anybody else out there hav any info on rd50 i watch a lot of football and would like to know if the rd50 blurrs when paning on football like the toshiba dlp 46 did which i sent back

26. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    as - you will find most digital displays will blur to some degree or another on fast moving live sports. The compression inherent in the signal doesn't help much either! I would get down to currys or something on a weekday night when there's football on BBC or ITV and see if you can find any plasma, RPTV or LCD that doesn't blur or throw up some sort of an error!!

27. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    iwould like to see rd50 showing sports or some fed back from others who own a rd50. at the moment i back to my sony 36 tv

28. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    I agree LV426 20k for a projector is a bit steep, hopefully in 2-3 years time these will be more affordable. The principle behind the 3-chip DLP certainly makes sense and it is definately the way to go. What dvd player do you feed the VW10?

29. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have an rd50 and have no complaints about football, but then I do have S**t eyesight :laugh: ... no, really I do. :)

30. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    All oldish stuff, like the projector:
    Pioneer 737 via component. Progressive on NTSC; interlaced on PAL. Most of my collection is R1 NTSC. And, before you ask - Denon AVR3801, Energy Take 5 and Definitive Technology Pro Sub. The first thing I'll upgrade (when I have spare cash) is the sub (barring any fatal breakdowns).