1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma RD50 or Toshiba 46WM48P

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by milanv57, Nov 19, 2004.

1. milanv57

milanv57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm an ignorant newbie here. Have been tracking the posts about the Optoma and Tosh. I know it's early days yet and most haven't seen either set, but if you had to choose between the two (ignoring price) which would you go for?

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Doesn't appear to be much difference between the two sets technically (although the Tosh is lacking all of the picture in picture type functions).

The Optoma has more connections available to it too.

Style-wise, I think the Tosh is a better designed piece of kit.

I need to see if my local Comet has got the Tosh in - would like to see it in the flesh.

3. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Difficult to compare really until both machines are placed side by side using the same equipment.

I saw the Optoma at the Hammersmith show and was quite impressed with it's picture quality playing DVD's through a DVI connection. Having done lots of research on the web and these forums I decided to buy the RD50 and am now waiting for it to be delivered.

I also saw the Toshiba at Comet in Slough on Wednesday (I went because I was a bit worried that I may have made the wrong choice as the design looked better than the RD50, it had a nice looking stand included, and is sub £1600 if bought at Costco). The new Tosh was positioned near to the Sagem Axium which is very similar to the RD50 (though shouldn't he quite as good as only has the HD2 DLP chip). I played a Star Wards DVD on both machines using the same type of scart cable and my honest opinion is that the Sagems picture was better (i.e. clearer, less noise, better colours). Again this may not be a good comparison as each TV had a different DVD player and the Toshiba had only arrived that day and so may not have been set up properly. My choice was made easier by the fact that the 46" Toshiba is 53" wide compared to the 50" Sagem being only about 47" wide. The Toshiba is too big for my living room.

Hope this helps a bit.

4. milanv57

milanv57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

Just saw a Sagem (I'm assuming the Optoma will be marginally better) next to the Toshiba in Comet. The Sagem had a hi-def feed and was stunning. Had them hook up a DVD source to both and the first lesson I learned was that set-up is all; component was significantly better than scart on both, and the quality was excellent - toss up as to which was better, at least to my eye.

I'll now have to see the Optoma in the flesh first, but the trade off is likely to be £600 or so (Tosh in Costco vs Optoma with base) against a 20% bigger screen volume, size (the Tosh would be a squeeze in our room too) and, franly, the fact I prefer the look of the Sagem/Optoma (screen alone) vs the speakers on side design of the Tosh.

Decisions, decisions....

5. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised to hear that there was a big difference between scart and component. Were you using the RGB scart connectors on both sets? (I think the Sagem has 2 RGB scarts and one which is I think is svideo/composite). Also, were the scart leads good quality or similar quality to the component lead? How much better did you think the component picture was when compared to the scart e.g. 20%

I thought that RGB scart and component were virtually the same thing giving the same sort of quality. If not, then I'll be disappointed as I've bought 2 good quality scart to scart cables to connect my dvd and sky box to the RD50. I'm going to give Optoma a call to ask whether component has an advantage over scart on the RD50.

6. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to a technician at Optoma and he said that component will give better results than scart RGB. He said he wouldn't go as far as saying it was a significant improvement but he said that he had definately noticed that it was better.

7. milanv57

milanv57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that the differential could be minimised with some more tweaking - but the guys in Comet were having a tough enough time rigging the two sets up (note I was comparing the Sagem to the Tosh), and trying different DVD players (also - they couldn't manage to get the progressive scan to work before I had to give up and leave).

8. milanv57

milanv57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - noticed I didn't answer your questions.
    - they did use the scart connectors
    - they used two different leads (the second, upgraded one, was better
    -tough to say how much better component was - maybe 10%. Best test was on a frozen dvd menu screen
    - note, as I said, the dvd players (which were not top notch) were not set up to progressive scan, and I'm presuming that would make a difference too.

9. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answers. I think I'll sell one of my RGB leads and invest in a decent component lead!

Regarding progressive scan DVD players, you may not notice much if any improvement on the Sagem (unless you spend hundreds of pounds). This is because of the Sagem/RD50 has Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing. Other threads in this forum even indicate that you get better results with a DVD interlaced signal rather than a DVD with progressive scan. Not sure whether this is true with the Toshiba though.

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The quality of the de-interlacer on the Tosh is a very good question. I was very disappointment to see that they chose not to go with Faroudja. From reading the threads over on AVS Forums, the US guys seem to agree that using the latest chip from this company is a major inclusion to look for. I'm also concerned that some of the European models from Samsung are not listing Faroudja in their specs, when the equivalent US versions have it as standard. I think that cost-cutting is rearing its head here, but if they can fit the processing chip into a sub-£200 DVD, then why not put it into the TV as well? Must be worth it for the extra picture quality.

11. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that was a very big disappointment as i thought about buying the Toshiba at first and then i read that it lacked so many features that i gave up, they even skipped 7-segment wheel which all other manufacturers go for, why? to save costs of course.....no other reason.

Otherwise the design is pretty nice but not as nice as the Sagem Axium or Optoma.