Optoma RD50 NTSC judder

Amar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This tv has been offered to me for £1200.

I really do want this tv but am concerned about the region 1 dvd issues with juddering.

Is there any way round this problem to watch region 1 discs witout the judder?

I don't have that many region 1 dvd's but the ones I have are some of my favourites, ie, T2 and Saving Private Ryan and like to have the option of buying region 1's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to buy the tv this weekend if there is some sort of fix.

Something like a Lumagen will allow you to mess with the output frequencies being fed to the TV which apparently fixes the problem - as would a PC running appropriate software, of course. Quite an expensive fix either way, mind.

Regards

Mark

Is that the only way round it?

Not really worth it then I guess. it's a shame coz I've heard it's really good otherwise.

Yes, sadly it just doesn't do 60hz I gather. A real stupid omission IMO. Others have got around the judder by using a PC to re-time the signal to something close to 50hz and claim good results. My own view (not having seen one) is that any such process must by its nature have some degrading effect or artefact and that it is always better to leave signal frequencies untouched i.e. display them "native" or at an integer multiple (2x, 3x etc). And in any case, it costs extra which shades the value of the TV somewhat. And before you ask - getting a DVD player that converts NTSC/525/60 to PAL/625/50 will similarly do so at the expense of picture quality.

Such a shame. I also thought this tv had the best connections out of all the other dlp's.

I use power strip with my RD65 it doesnt degrade the pic using powerstrip at all. The results are very good, set powerstrip to 49.845 and judder will dispaear (97%) . I also use Theater Tek with ffdshow for my post processing. Picture quality is outstanding. :)

BTW just for refrence it was I that discovered the Judder issue and have treid loads of different approaches to solve this issue. Powerstrip running on a pc worked the best and gave the best result. I hope this helps.

Razor said:
I use power strip with my RD65 it doesnt degrade the pic using powerstrip at all. The results are very good, set powerstrip to 49.845 and judder will dispaear (97%) . I also use Theater Tek with ffdshow for my post processing. Picture quality is outstanding. :)

BTW just for refrence it was I that discovered the Judder issue and have treid loads of different approaches to solve this issue. Powerstrip running on a pc worked the best and gave the best result. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips but what are the power strips and Theater tek you mention (sorry if it sounds like a stupid question)?

Amar said:
Thanks for the tips but what are the power strips and Theater tek you mention (sorry if it sounds like a stupid question)?

Powerstrip converts the 60 hz signal outputted by your pc to what ever frequency you want. The best setting for the RD65 is around the 49.845Hz. Powerstrip can also resize your picture if you need. This is not needed on the RD range.

Theater Tek is the best media player you cant get, it is outperforming dvd players costing a grand or more. Superb picture quality. Many high end dvd owners are selling their dvd players and swapping it for a HTPC with Theater Tek. :)

Thanks Razor.

What are costs like for the theater tek?

Is power strip a form of software you install in your pc? How much does it cost?

You might have seen but I'm also running a thread about the Sony and Sagem 50" sets. I'm trying to decide between the three.

Amar said:
Thanks Razor.

What are costs like for the theater tek?

Is power strip a form of software you install in your pc? How much does it cost?

You might have seen but I'm also running a thread about the Sony and Sagem 50" sets. I'm trying to decide between the three.

Theater Tek info here

http://www.theatertek.com/

Powerstrip here

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

If I was you I would stick to DLP rather than LCD, the pictuer IMO is far better with DLP. However I am not saying that the LCD picture is not any good, just that IMO the picture obtained from a DLP is better. The choice has to be made by you, demo as much as possible and when you are satisfied you have seen all you can see then make up your mind as to which set to buy. I think you will be happy any of the sets you have mentioned as they all produce a good picture. :)

Thanks for your help Razor. I hope it works as I really like the Optoma's, esp after seeing your pics and reading your posts about them.

As mentioned in the other thread, I do like LCD but prefer DLP. It's just that I can get the Sony for about £500 less than a comparible DLP.

Just have to keep testing thoroughly I guess. Whatever happen to the days of walking in to a shop and buying a tv without having to consider so many factors?

Amar said:
Thanks for your help Razor. I hope it works as I really like the Optoma's, esp after seeing your pics and reading your posts about them.

As mentioned in the other thread, I do like LCD but prefer DLP. It's just that I can get the Sony for about £500 less than a comparible DLP.

Just have to keep testing thoroughly I guess. Whatever happen to the days of walking in to a shop and buying a tv without having to consider so many factors?

No worries with the help pal, any time. Good luck with your viewings and I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Amar said:
This tv has been offered to me for £1200.

I really do want this tv but am concerned about the region 1 dvd issues with juddering.

Is there any way round this problem to watch region 1 discs witout the judder?

I don't have that many region 1 dvd's but the ones I have are some of my favourites, ie, T2 and Saving Private Ryan and like to have the option of buying region 1's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to buy the tv this weekend if there is some sort of fix.
Hi Amar, just to say that I've had the OPTOMA RD50 since the first day they came into this country (back in November 2004) and would highly recommend this set above all others.
I too had this problem with NTSC discs (I also brought it to the attention of Optoma right at the beginning) - and, although I had several hundred region one ntsc dics I decided to replace them with the equivalent region 2, the TV is really that good!!
I would also add that I still import some region one discs,i.e. all the C.S.I. series, both Miami and Vegas and they play superbly, only the slightest bid of judder on certain panning shots, but nothing bad at all. In fact I have now got all five series of C.S.I. Vegas and can watch them all without even realising they are not region 2, they are that good.
Why certain movies/series are more susceptable I don'tknow,I would only say that this does not rule out the OPTOMA RD50 on region one grounds.
If I were you I would go for it straightaway as this set is absolutely superb.

philbam:

Forgive me but that seems a bit contradictory. I've no doubt that you are very very pleased with your TV as indeed are others, but (and maybe I'm just being a bit stupid for not the first time) you say
I would only say that this does not rule out the OPTOMA RD50 on region one grounds.
If I were you I good go for it straightaway as this set is absolutely superb
yet it's evidently so bad on some (most/all???) NTSC titles that you went to the expense and trouble of replacing several hundred NTSC titles with their PAL equivalents. A bit drastic to have to do this, isn't it?

LV426 said:
philbam:

Forgive me but that seems a bit contradictory. I've no doubt that you are very very pleased with your TV as indeed are others, but (and maybe I'm just being a bit stupid for not the first time) you sayyet it's evidently so bad on some (most/all???) NTSC titles that you went to the expense and trouble of replacing several hundred NTSC titles with their PAL equivalents. A bit drastic to have to do this, isn't it?
I know it seems drastic but I really think that the Optoma Rd50 is that good.
I obviously mainly buy region 2 discs now but felt the original expense of changing over my other dvd's worth it.You have to bear in mind that these replacements were, in most cases, a quarter of the cost of the original region one discs I had bought, and I could then sell the region one discs to further lower the cost of the changeover - in some cases I actually saved money by changing!!
Hope this explains my reasoning and hopefully not now contadictory.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom